Previous topic - Next topic

Kjohnson

chrisber

QuoteSpace is limited
   Really?

I don
1 John 2:22, 2 Timothy 3:1-9

bigG

I grew up in the late 60's, 70's and 80's and don't remember such a thing. There was just a difference between what was considered evidence and what was considered faith. Some people have difficulty separating the two, though.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

chrisber

QuotePosted by: bigG
Insert Quote
I grew up in the late 60's, 70's and 80's and don't remember such a thing. There was just a difference between what was considered evidence and what was considered faith. Some people have difficulty separating the two, though

You don

bigG

No, but just as the billion year old galaxy idea takes some faith, so does faith in a superntaural being (s). I don't know what, if any evidence exists that the universe is so old. I do know that there are very distinct examples of animals evolving per the fossil record and that there are evidentiary examples of things that conflict with the Bible and other religous books. ASorry, I must have gone to a bad school, or just wasn't listening when the teacher referred to anyone who didn't belive that stuff "religious nuts." Sounds like you might feel a little uncomfortable in your faith.

chrisber

bigG

Oh, okay. Pardon my quoting you. maybe you could return the favor by not getting into your issues with a successful attempt at humor by Kjohnson.

Like the deep thought, though. Keep digging on science and professing your faith as fact, man. Now you can some up with a Biblical quote to prove how wrong science is, or has been. Science makes mistakes. It least it can admit to them.

Good food for thought, Kjohn. :)

Kjohnson

Quote from: bigG on March 04, 2013, 02:36:20 PM
Oh, okay. Pardon my quoting you. maybe you could return the favor by not getting into your issues with a successful attempt at humor by Kjohnson.

Like the deep thought, though. Keep digging on science and professing your faith as fact, man. Now you can some up with a Biblical quote to prove how wrong science is, or has been. Science makes mistakes. It least it can admit to them.

Good food for thought, Kjohn. :)

BigG, I don't have time for this (lol).I was just trying to have some fun. The deepest thoughts I get is "how high is up?"

chrisber

QuoteOh, okay. Pardon my quoting you.
I have no issues with the quote but I

bigG

My fault, I should have said "scientists." I think you could have figured that out. My point was your straw man per your quote. Maybe you heard an unfeeling teacher say such a thing. I don't know. I wasn't attacking you nor your religion. Just that you paint the picture of science supporting one idea that may have been accepted by many, then, ask why he would conclude as he did. Maybe he has faith in carbon-dating. You conclude that science was wrong, and now it is right?

Guess I'm asking what your point was, here. Glad you dig science. I meant no offense and ad hominem usually covers an attack per the facts regarding the attacked. If I was getting at you per what I saw as your religiousity coming through, I apologize. I like your observation that science now seems to jibe with a beginning.

Scourge

Wha.......what the inappropriate term06 is going on in here?

One person start a thread that's supposed to be funny by talking about things people say that are inaccurate and we get what sounds like the rantings of someone who's just been CHOMPING at the bit to get into some deep ridiculous argument about nothing. 

LITERALLY NOTHING!

Ok, that's one of those things that annoys the heck out of me. 

My cousin will use literally constantly.  She just said that the freeway was "literally a parking lot."  NO..NO IT WAS NOT!  There was traffic because people were driving slow! 

Anyway....back to this science and faith stuff....

bigG

Nothing  is the source of everything per the Tao te Ching. :D

chrisber

BigG,

I have read many of your posts and consider you one of the most logical and intelligent people on this forum. It was not my intent to create the straw man that you perceived. Science changes with the discovery of new evidence

bigG

I didn't know the life of carbon and how it relates to dating. I am no scientist, nor scientologist. I just get a bit snappy when I feel someone is trying to prove science , in a small shell, the correctness of the Bible. I think the bible has more science than not on its side. I just don't wish to see small doses of such proof make it "truth."

I don't know how the Tao te Ching could be a straw man argument. Hard to debate such things. Just a natural philosophy, IMHO.

Sad to think life is centered in nothing. But, from nothing, God supposedly created the earth and us. It's when you name "God" or someone else as the creator and propose his wishes, IMO, humans run into difficult situations. Just my take. We're good. Good to be nothing. For me, at least.

Maybe I get a bit defensive of the religious because I hate to hear "religious nuts"; especially when I hear it used to describe a brilliant young mind who happens to have deeply seeded beliefs. That's on me. I also dislike when I hear someone I feel is painting themselves a victim for their beliefs. Happens much less frequently than our current "victim" state would have us believe.

We're clear, I think. 8)

With that I'd like to throw out another goofy thing people say. "Hindsight is 20/20." Anyone who's worked in law enforcement knows this is quite NOT true. If it were just recollection of the facts, it would be. Throw in experience and bias, time and such, and hindsight isn't close to 20/20. That coming from a guy who wears thick glasses. :) My present isn't 20/20.

chrisber

I hate the tediousness of cutting and pasting so I