Gamel out for the season - again

Started by DrSnide, February 18, 2013, 03:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Houndhead

Quote from: Todd on February 21, 2013, 01:05:41 PM
Just one example of his early "attitude".

http://mcantil.com/forget-what-youve-heard-brewers-gamel-has-a-long-way-to-go/

I just find it strange to question the attitude of a player who has made numerous position changes through out his career at the request of the organization.

Scourge

Quote from: boowrestle on February 21, 2013, 11:07:47 AM
Should of let gamel go last yr  injury prone and never produced at major league level and from what ive heard also is a head case ,give the young guy a chance.

"heard," from who?

God this word "headcase," gets thrown out WAY too often.  The guy's just been dominant at every level of the minors and now he's suffered a serious setback.  But we're supposed to have cut him LAST YEAR?

Doesn't make any sense.

Scourge

Quote from: Todd on February 21, 2013, 01:05:41 PM
Just one example of his early "attitude".

http://mcantil.com/forget-what-youve-heard-brewers-gamel-has-a-long-way-to-go/

This is part of the problem with the internet.  Too many blogs and stuff out there.  I've seen Gamel give interviews and he was well spoken and in no way seemed "too good," to "waste his time," talking to two people or lacking human decency, which I think is an inappropriate term01 way to put it when regarding a perceived bad interview.

And if you want to talk about a "bad interview," look at Rickie Weeks.  He's absolutely terrible.  I can't imagine it's that easy to answer questions in front of a camera.  But he's generally highly regarded by all teammates and coaches as being one of the hardest workers on the team and a guy willing to play through injury.

He DID have some issues when he was in his first camp being late a couple times and not putting in the extra work and apparently some of the vets talked to him and there hasn't been any problems since. 

So....it seems like anyone who isn't a good player ends up being a "headcase." 

Houndhead

Quote from: Scourge on February 19, 2013, 02:57:20 PM
Quote from: Houndhead on February 18, 2013, 06:29:53 PM
I think Taylor Green will hold down the spot until Hart returns. Morris needs to get regular at bats at AAA.

I don't agree at all.  I think that AA is more talented than AAA.  You could argue he needs more AB's at AA and just more AB's in general, but the best prospects are in AA.  The most talent is in AA.  AAA is where you stash away your depth in case of an injury moreso than developing top prospects.  AA is the league that answers a lot of questions about what type of prospect a guy is going to be.

Now I've been slow to buy into Hunter Morris.  

HOWEVER, lets remember he WAS a 2nd round pick by the Boston Redsox when he was a Jr and came back and had a LITTLE bit of a down year the following year.  He was also drafted outside of HS.  So he's been a blue chipper for a while.

Last year in AA he was the Southern League All-Star and put up a line of;

.303/.357/.920 with 28 Hr's, 113 RBI's, 77 Runs scored, and is a very solid defensive 1st basemen.

He's ALSO a left handed bat.  

He's ready to step into a big league lineup as a backup player IMO based on what he's done.  And keep in mind the league we play in in AA is a pitchers league, and he only played 134 games(the minor league season with a few days off).

The last guy to hit like that and have those accolades in AA.......Corey Hart.  League MVP, etc...

So I think he'll be fine.

You might not agree, but appearently the Brewers do.

Scourge

Quote from: Houndhead on March 14, 2013, 06:13:37 AM
Quote from: Scourge on February 19, 2013, 02:57:20 PM
Quote from: Houndhead on February 18, 2013, 06:29:53 PM
I think Taylor Green will hold down the spot until Hart returns. Morris needs to get regular at bats at AAA.

I don't agree at all.  I think that AA is more talented than AAA.  You could argue he needs more AB's at AA and just more AB's in general, but the best prospects are in AA.  The most talent is in AA.  AAA is where you stash away your depth in case of an injury moreso than developing top prospects.  AA is the league that answers a lot of questions about what type of prospect a guy is going to be.

Now I've been slow to buy into Hunter Morris.  

HOWEVER, lets remember he WAS a 2nd round pick by the Boston Redsox when he was a Jr and came back and had a LITTLE bit of a down year the following year.  He was also drafted outside of HS.  So he's been a blue chipper for a while.

Last year in AA he was the Southern League All-Star and put up a line of;

.303/.357/.920 with 28 Hr's, 113 RBI's, 77 Runs scored, and is a very solid defensive 1st basemen.

He's ALSO a left handed bat.  

He's ready to step into a big league lineup as a backup player IMO based on what he's done.  And keep in mind the league we play in in AA is a pitchers league, and he only played 134 games(the minor league season with a few days off).

The last guy to hit like that and have those accolades in AA.......Corey Hart.  League MVP, etc...

So I think he'll be fine.

You might not agree, but appearently the Brewers do.

They obviously didn't when they gave him a shot to contend for the 1st base spot.

But he has performed poorly this spring.  And he'll no doubt end up going to AAA(though I suspect the only reason  you've bumped this thread is because he now has and you're saying I told you so) but my point remains about AA vs AAA. 

I did say I was slower than the average guy who follows the prospects closely to buy into Hunter Morris than others, so he's not a guy that I thought would be good right out of the gate like Gamel(which isn't working out too well either). 

Houndhead

Yes, I bumped this thread all the way from the 2nd one on the list just to show you wrong. ::) I also bumped the Gomez one to show I agreed with you.

Scourge

Quote from: Houndhead on March 15, 2013, 03:01:10 PM
Yes, I bumped this thread all the way from the 2nd one on the list just to show you wrong. ::) I also bumped the Gomez one to show I agreed with you.

Touche....perhaps a little defensive with a few guys with political differences following me around....

DrSnide

Quote from: Scourge on March 25, 2013, 12:53:59 PM

Touche....perhaps a little defensive with a few guys with political differences following me around....

In the end this is why I like sports.  You and I probably agree on very little politically but I have a ton of respect for your baseball and football knowledge and perspective which typically is similar to mine (so it has be right). I actually have the same reaction to Keith Obermann actually which you may or may not see as a good thing ;D but I could listen to him talk baseball for hours.  As America becomes more secular (which we probably have differing opinions on in terms of this as a positive or negative ;)) I think sports has begun to take the role of a unified interest/cultural experience.  

Its interesting to me that people that agree/disagree on the political side can so completely re-align on the sports side.  I'm looking forward to getting your insights as the baseball seaon starts and with the draft coming up.
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

Scourge

Quote from: DrSnide on March 26, 2013, 11:18:51 AM
Quote from: Scourge on March 25, 2013, 12:53:59 PM

In the end this is why I like sports.  You and I probably agree on very little politically but I have a ton of respect for your baseball and football knowledge and perspective which typically is similar to mine (so it has be right). I actually have the same reaction to Keith Obermann actually which you may or may not see as a good thing ;D but I could listen to him talk baseball for hours.  As America becomes more secular (which we probably have differing opinions on in terms of this as a positive or negative ;)) I think sports has begun to take the role of a unified interest/cultural experience.  

Its interesting to me that people that agree/disagree on the political side can so completely re-align on the sports side.  I'm looking forward to getting your insights as the baseball seaon starts and with the draft coming up.

LOL...no, I don't like the Olberman comparison!  He became a clown with those "emotional," rants trying to take what someone said drastically out of context putting him in the same group as the Glenn Beck types IMO and epitomizes how people can just wrap themselves up in whatever side agrees with what they already think. 

But I appreciate your point!

And yeah, there are a lot of people on here that I think are incredibly insightful when it comes to sports who I disagree just a touch with baseball wise.

BUT...Hunter Morris, 2-4 HR, 2B, 4 RBI's in opening day for AAA!  Too bad he didn't have the ST'ing that Khris Davis had...at least he'd be better than Yuni B out there at 1st!  But, they gave him a chance, and a few months in AAA should be big for him....