Gamel out for the season - again

Started by DrSnide, February 18, 2013, 03:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrSnide

Looks like after one spring training practice Gamel is done for the year. Looks like he tore his ACL again, gotta feel for the guy. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/191688761.html  So does this open the door for Hunter Morris at all - depending of course how Spring Training goes?

The Brewer's 1B job is begining to look a lot like being the drummer from Spinal Tap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZrqC5LL_oo
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

RockVikings

Sad, I always hoped he would be a good player for us, hopefully not the end of the road in the Brewers organization.

Houndhead

I think Taylor Green will hold down the spot until Hart returns. Morris needs to get regular at bats at AAA.

RockVikings

I heard maybe Alex Gonzalez may get the looks at first base.

wrestle03

It will be somewhat of a revolving door at first base with a few guys getting playing time.
I feel bad for Gamel, having to rehab again cannot be fun.  Wonder if his days in Milwaukee are over.

Todd

Feel bad for Gamel but that's been his tenure here through no fault of his own.  That said is there benefit to holding onto him or moving on?
"This page intentionally left blank".

Ghetto

I didn't look it up, but I think Gamel is under a very small contract for the next year or two. No reason to release him, as he costs basically nothing.

I know he's never had a chance to produce, but this is a big loss for the Brewers. I wonder if he'll ever be comfortable on that knee again.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

bkraus

I think they have to release him at this point.  Two significant ACL tears within a year.  Either two things are going on, a weak knee, or bad rehab.  Either way this is a problem that will probably not go away.
Strive for Perfection

Scourge

Quote from: Houndhead on February 18, 2013, 06:29:53 PM
I think Taylor Green will hold down the spot until Hart returns. Morris needs to get regular at bats at AAA.

I don't agree at all.  I think that AA is more talented than AAA.  You could argue he needs more AB's at AA and just more AB's in general, but the best prospects are in AA.  The most talent is in AA.  AAA is where you stash away your depth in case of an injury moreso than developing top prospects.  AA is the league that answers a lot of questions about what type of prospect a guy is going to be.

Now I've been slow to buy into Hunter Morris.  

HOWEVER, lets remember he WAS a 2nd round pick by the Boston Redsox when he was a Jr and came back and had a LITTLE bit of a down year the following year.  He was also drafted outside of HS.  So he's been a blue chipper for a while.

Last year in AA he was the Southern League All-Star and put up a line of;

.303/.357/.920 with 28 Hr's, 113 RBI's, 77 Runs scored, and is a very solid defensive 1st basemen.

He's ALSO a left handed bat.  

He's ready to step into a big league lineup as a backup player IMO based on what he's done.  And keep in mind the league we play in in AA is a pitchers league, and he only played 134 games(the minor league season with a few days off).

The last guy to hit like that and have those accolades in AA.......Corey Hart.  League MVP, etc...

So I think he'll be fine.

Scourge

Quote from: Todd on February 19, 2013, 09:01:57 AM
Feel bad for Gamel but that's been his tenure here through no fault of his own.  That said is there benefit to holding onto him or moving on?

There's really absolutely no reason to not hold onto Gamel.

It REALLY sucks because he has such a great swing and great approach.  He hit left handed pitching better than RH'ed pitching most of his minor league career which is exceedingly rare. 

He's also very athletic(or what). 

I truly believed Gamel would end up being a .300'/350/475 type guy with 25 HR's and steal 20 bases.  Obviously back to back ACL tears which is exceedingly rare(to re-tear your ACL right when it's supposed to be healed, and I heard a doctor talking about this on the radio and he said that 10 pct of these happen, but of those 10 pct, 99 pct are on one side of the graph or the other.   His was right in the middle making it that much more rare.

I really thought Gamel would be our #2/#6 hitter and be a well above average one.  Now it looks like he's in real trouble because they have almost no choice but to keep on Corey Hart after this season because you haven't seen what Mat Gamel can do for you yet.

You've seen him dominate every level EXCEPT the majors, and even then his numbers when he was a starter at 3rd(ie,when he knew he was starting where very good).

Gamel should cost less than 1 million next year.  The only problem I have with this is if he WAS going to get hurt...do it before they sign Alex Gonzalez so they don't have to waive De Los Santos, the guy who throws in the upper90s and has great stuff(though is a bit like Axford before he broke out in that he struck out a lot of guys, but also walked a lot).  He got snatched up on waivers real quick.  He had closer potential, but lost his 40 man spot(now open with Gamel) because of signing Alex Gonzalez. 

Scourge

Quote from: bkraus on February 19, 2013, 02:51:32 PM
I think they have to release him at this point.  Two significant ACL tears within a year.  Either two things are going on, a weak knee, or bad rehab.  Either way this is a problem that will probably not go away.

Or as the Doctors explain, absolutely neither of the above. 

There is a 10 pct chance that ACL reconstructive injuries fail and the graphs tear.  It's got nothing to do with "week knee," and certainly not "bad rehab," as he stuck around the Brewers and re-habbed with them, recognized as one of the best staffs in all of MLB.  They won the award a couple years ago and were recognized last year.

So just not knowing the facts(which I didn't either until I spend some time reading on it) to just say, "well, he's either just got a weak knee or he's lazy", which is code for bad rehab is which I ithink is ridiculous.

boowrestle

Should of let gamel go last yr  injury prone and never produced at major league level and from what ive heard also is a head case ,give the young guy a chance.
you can run but you cannot hide.

Todd

Quote from: boowrestle on February 21, 2013, 11:07:47 AM
Should of let gamel go last yr  injury prone and never produced at major league level and from what ive heard also is a head case ,give the young guy a chance.

It sucks that Gamel came in with so much talent and squandered it with his attitude at first.  Bet he's regretting that now. 

It's a lesson of who cares how much talent you have, don't let your ego get in the way because it could all be gone too soon. 

Houndhead

Quote from: Todd on February 21, 2013, 11:19:36 AM
Quote from: boowrestle on February 21, 2013, 11:07:47 AM

It sucks that Gamel came in with so much talent and squandered it with his attitude at first.  Bet he's regretting that now. 

It's a lesson of who cares how much talent you have, don't let your ego get in the way because it could all be gone too soon. 

What "attitude" are you talking about?

Todd