Ice, Ice, Baby

Started by Houndhead, December 12, 2012, 01:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imnofish

Thanks for the update.  Really interesting to get your take on it.  I've thought about taking a trip like that someday, if I can find a way to do it cheaply enough.  How much $ did this experience set you back?
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Houndhead

Quote from: imnofish on April 17, 2013, 12:08:39 AM
Thanks for the update.  Really interesting to get your take on it.  I've thought about taking a trip like that someday, if I can find a way to do it cheaply enough.  How much $ did this experience set you back?

Fish, it was $225 per person for the sleeper shack. That was Thursday afternoon until Sunday morning. They haul you out in tracked vehicles, check on you twice a day, minnows are provided. It was $24 for a 72 hour liscence. $50 for gas + whatever food and beverage you take.

I've gone to Leech Lake in the past for perch, and that trip is a little cheaper. $30 per person per nite for the cabin, not on the ice though. The fishing has been great every time I have went though, and it is about 2 hours closer. If I had to choose one trip to do, it would be Leech or Winnie for perch. I have been doing some searching for somewhere closer with a sleeper shack and good fishing. Nothing so far. The guy that went through the ice on Superior this year was renting sleepers on Chequamagon Bay. That good be a good trip, but his shacks were only for 2-3 people. We are also investigating the Lehr, ND area for walleye and perch. Check it out on the Lake-link fishing reports sometime. Almost sounds too good to be true.

imnofish

Thanks for the info.  Sounds like fun.  I went out to the glacial lakes area (Waubay, SD) a few years ago, with a bunch of guys.  We rented a house and pulled our portable shacks onto different lakes, using our 4-wheelers.  It cost us about the same as what you spent.  The perch fishing was good and we caught some nice bluegills, walleyes and pike, too.  If I had it to do over again, I would bring snowmobiles or have chains on the ATV's though.  We got stuck alot.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!