Ice, Ice, Baby

Started by Houndhead, December 12, 2012, 01:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

littleguy301

If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Houndhead

The ice is better in this area. Heard of someone driving a truck on Butternut Lake. There is a little slush on top where I was fishing on saturday. I caught a 25-1/2" walleye on friday night and a 21" on saturday morning.

imnofish

Went fishing northeast of Hayward on Sat.  Got a half dozen nice crappies (10-11 inches) and a 25 inch walleye.  Had 8-10 inches of hard ice, with an inch or two of snow on top.  Snowmobile trail across the lake was staked.  Saw several snowmobiles and a few ATV's (including ours), but no cars/trucks.  Sunday, went out on a smaller lake in the Rice Lake area (with areas of strong current) which had about 10 inches everywhere except near creek mouths (one still had open water).  Some cars and trucks had started to drive on it, but I think they are getting ahead of themselves.  Fishing was slow.  Had one flag, but it swiped my shiner.  Expensive trip, though, as my Vexilar fell off of someone else's ATV and broke.   :'(
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

bigG

I see a guy has a slim shanty on Perch lake in Sparta. I still don't trust the ice much, so I took the boy to open water below the Dang. 7 nice rianbows hit these little minnie spoons were using. Fun just to catch stuff. On the Miss, below the Gunderson building, they've been smacking the perch and bass. I've hear in Genoa and Stoddard things are active, too. Too dang many people our on Onalaska, though. My God, it's like Woodstock out there.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

hodagdad

i've had my shack out over a week now but using shorelines (minocqua-boulder area) ... 4" has grown to 7-8" here in the past 3 days and improving daily so the conditions went from bad (late ice build) to good thanks to a respite from the storms.

wrestlers always welcome and the walleye bite is on ...

imnofish

Quote from: bigG on December 31, 2012, 02:36:19 PM
I see a guy has a slim shanty on Perch lake in Sparta. I still don't trust the ice much, so I took the boy to open water below the Dang. 7 nice rianbows hit these little minnie spoons were using. Fun just to catch stuff. On the Miss, below the Gunderson building, they've been smacking the perch and bass. I've hear in Genoa and Stoddard things are active, too. Too dang many people our on Onalaska, though. My God, it's like Woodstock out there.

Good call not taking your boy out there, with all that free love, etc. going on.   ;D
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

bigG

I just hate crowds. Love it when I can chat with a few; but I'm not a crowd guy. No biggie; there's plenty of ice out there.

How's your new ATV workin' out, Fish? Hope you've been ridin' in style.

I always hope to see you pull up, with your new pimped-out Polaris. "Boooom Booom, chuck, booboombooboom, chuck!!" Got a system installed, little hydraulic action, monkey hangin' handle bars, etc.

imnofish

My new Suzuki is treating me well. I got the King Quad 400 4x4.  All I need is a rear view mirror from which to hang my fuzzy dice.   ;D 

Actually, I wouldn't mind a rear bag/seat combo, but haven't found one that will fit on my rack, so far.

bigG

Quote from: imnofish on January 02, 2013, 05:23:39 PM
My new Suzuki is treating me well. I got the King Quad 400 4x4.  All I need is a rear view mirror from which to hang my fuzzy dice.   ;D 

Actually, I wouldn't mind a rear bag/seat combo, but haven't found one that will fit on my rack, so far.

Oh, I thought you bought Polaris.

I have the old Quad and love that thing.

I've got the seat with the storage. Well worth it.

Beware, though. If you buy the seat online, measure the rack a few times to be sure the new seat fits it right on the nuts. You'll also want the flip down footrests for the passenger.

Houndhead

Leaving in the morning for Lake of The Woods for four days of walleye fishing.

littleguy301

Quote from: Houndhead on February 27, 2013, 09:30:10 AM

Good luck and have fun!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

imnofish

I am green with envy!  (Maybe it was just something I ate.)  Have fun and be safe!

Houndhead

Quote from: imnofish on February 27, 2013, 09:54:23 AM

I am green with envy!  (Maybe it was just something I ate.)  Have fun and be safe!

Just noticed I never posted the results of my trip. This was the first time I ever stayed out on the ice overnight like this. The fishing was ok, but could have been better. Between the 4 of us in the shack, we probably kept about 20 walleyes and sauger. We had three in the slot we couldn't keep, with the biggest being 23", and probably 25-30 small fish that we threw back.We caught 8 tullibees which went in the smoker. The tullibees are fun to catch. This was the first time I really did a lot of jigging for walleyes through the ice. It is good to learn a new method. The bad part of the trip is the 6-7 hour drive getting there and back(cuts into the fishing time), and the fact that there is no night bite at all. It would be fun if the fish would keep biting after dark.

bigG

Sounds cool. I never "shacked up" before like that. Hunting cabin, yeah, but on the ice. Never done it.

At least ya got some goody out of it. One year, you'll bring home the magic, big time.

My uncle does that (almost year round, 'cept the warmer months) and that's pretty much what he lives for. Got a honeymoon shack for him and the wife.

Dude lives for walleyes. Not too shabby.