An open letter to the wrestling community

Started by TomM, January 31, 2010, 09:07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

To:  "the wrestling community"
Subject:  An open letter to the wrestling community   
Date:  Sat 01/30/10 11:35 PM

Just over 5 years ago a few college wrestlers and some friends got frustrated that every organization they talked to about going to help with recovery from the tsunami told them no.

Then a day came when they all looked at each other and immediately knew what each other was thinking...

If no one is going to help us, than we are going to do it by ourselves.

You see - they didn't end up doing it themselves; instead hundreds of friends and friends of friends joined in to create an organization they named Wrestling the World.
< http://www.wrestlingtheworld.org/ >

Wrestling taught that original group of people that through hard work, dedication, and teamwork goals can be reached.  In a unique way wrestling is about the individual but also very much about the team...and that is the same about the organization called Wrestling the World.

5 years later...
2 trips to Sri Lanka later...
3 aid packages to Hurricane survivors later...
3+ trips to Kenya later...
thousands of people later...
over $150,000 later...

Wrestling the World has once again committed itself to help another group of people, the people of Haiti.

We set a goal to have 100 pancake dinners on Tuesday, February 23, 2010.
About 4 weeks away we have reached hundreds of people and feel very happy about having 10 confirmed dinners, but stating a goal and not doing everything you can do to reach it is...anti-wrestling.

Here is our call to you:
It is the week of the state tournament- WE KNOW, YES- It is the most important week of the year for our sport in
Wisconsin

We need your help, unite with us and reach this goal...Can you plan a pancake dinner (of any size) in your town and let us know so that we can record it on our way to 100?  Whether it be just your family, your wrestling team, or your entire town...that doesn't matter, what does is that we are uniting on this day to help the people in Haiti. Sell tickets, pass an envelope, or whatever you want to do to collect money to help-just have a pancake dinner and let us know about it!

Don't forget to watch our celebrity endorser Ben Askren here:
< http://sharing.theflip.com/session/a9fcfcc32c33b37243e51ebbdd6ab385/video/9821095 >

For questions please email me: Phill Klamm < phill.klamm@edgerton.k12.wi.us >

I hope to hear from you and I hope to see you in Madison
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

goallout

Very nice jester but, I wish people would help out poor and suffering in the United States. I guess it wouldnt get the press other places do

zugzoo

"Be the change you want to see in the world"
Quote from: howaviYour reward for winning Sectionals: Weston Olund Merrill 11-2 12  vs Jesse Thielke Germantown 39-1 10

Marty Sparty

Quote from: goallout on February 07, 2010, 07:23:39 PM
I wish people would help out poor and suffering in the United States. I guess it wouldnt get the press other places do

1. There are many people who help the poor and suffering in this country.
2. Poverty and suffering in the countries that these gentlemen have gone to are beyond compare with what even the most impoverished people in the U.S. have to deal with.  I am sure that such compassionate people do not look lightly on the plight of those in the U.S., but there is far greater work to be done elsewhere.
3. A dollar goes a lot farther in a third world country.  The $150,000 they've raised can do a lot more good for a lot more people who need it a lot more in Haiti than it can here.