Commitment to running plan.

Started by TomM, July 06, 2008, 04:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woody53

Tom,
Excellent Job. Number one item is that, from your post, I can tell you had FUN! Two weeks from today we have the Depot to Depot here in Black Earth that follows along Hwy KP to Mazomanie. It is a nice morning run of 5 miles. You and Live2Pin should come up and do it, just for fun.
Rich
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

TomM

Rich,
I will get back to you on it...
I have to look at my "training" for the half marathon in September.  I'm thinking I have some room before then to adjust my "long runs" on Saturdays... so it is a possiblity.
Will they have a sun dial for timing me?
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Live2Pin

I'll try to do it too. It's a short drive for me and sounds like fun.

woody53

OK, We could have fun with this. Any wrestler, Wrestler's Dad/Mom, Sibling, Fan. How about whoever can make it. Lets try to do the Depot to Depot in Black Earth / Mazomanie, in two weeks. It is a 5 miles race / walk.  Wear your School's Wrestling T-shirt if you can.

TomM

My dad is 82 years old... and not a runner/jogger...

Live2Pin

16 miles this morning ! Can't say I feel a euphoric runners high in a real physical sense but it's is certainly a psychological high to accomplish that after the shape I was in just two years ago !

I hydrated pretty well before and during the run. Also had a couple energy gel packs along the way and really felt pretty good the whole way. Hit the 13 mile mark at about 2:05 but I'm confident we could have hit 2 hours if we weren't pacing ourselves for the next 3 miles.

I can't believe the thought went through my head, " Only 6 miles to go, we've got this licked !" .

TomM

UPDATE: Friday, August 1
Sat., July 26-Ran 6 miles at Waunafest.
Mon-3 mi.
Wed-4 mi.
Fri-2.0 mi. (made mistake of wearing sandals yesterday... now have blister on bottom of each big toe! argh...)
Tomorrow (Sat., Aug. 2) going to run the Watertown Riverfest 5K and then keep going and do another 3 or 4... not sure I am ready for 7 total judging how I felt last Saturday at Waunafest...)

Live2Pin

Good luck on your run Tom. Make sure you leave the sandals at home though !!

TomM

UPDATE: Saturday, August 2 - 3.1 miles (Riverfest 5K)
My intention to run a 5K event and then extend it to 6 miles...Well, it ended at the 5K distance.  No excuses, other than my legs just didn't feel all that swift today.  I am going to attempt 6 miles tomorrow out here in the country.  I have a nice 6 mile loop on country roads I've used many times before.

bigoil

Push yourself Tom. Go your loop and turn a mile off to force yourself to an 8. You are putting in plenty of miles to be able to accomplish an 8. You WILL hit the zone and just cruise.

TomM

Hi H,
Thanks for the encouragement.
I am struggling at upping the mileage.  I don't know what it is, but I just realized, in thinking about it Friday, I actually just started running again on June 29.  I had it in my head I'd begun around June 1.  So for my 54 year old body, I may be pushing it a bit.  I don't want an injury that causes me to not be able to run/jog.  During the 5K yesterday I didn't do the "one mile jog/one minute walk".  I had asked a couple people to do another three with me after the 5K.  They all backed out, but my body (legs mainly) felt really heavy at that point.
I will make my September 21 half marathon.  I think I just need to make sure I am not pushing upping the miles sooner than needed.  I am motivated.  I think I need to keep using the "1 jog/1 min. walk" and maybe try to phase them out.
Tom

woody53

Just finished my morning run. I am on vacation this week, so it is kind of weird doing it in the morning rather than the early evening. Did four miles in 30:32. Been going on the roads west of Black Earth, rather than the track to get my legs accustom to the feel. My knees feel like crap again. Hope to break 38:00 on Saturday.

Live2Pin

Hey Woody-
You said this weekend is a 5 miler right. 38 minutes is a real good time. Sounds like you're right on pace though. I won't be able to make it. My schedule calls for an 18 mile run this weekend and as good as I may feel I think it would be pretty foolish to push anything beyond that.

My short term goal is to break 2 hrs in the Occonomowoc Half at the end of this month. Doesn't sound like much but it's probably reaching the limits of my running potential.

woody53

Thanks Tom. I feel it is a good time for me, but the guy who won the 40 to 50 age group last year did it in 29:32.
Do you guys take anything for joint pain before you do a long run? It has been recommended to me, even by my doctor, but I wanted to hear from others who do.

Live2Pin

I take Aleve. I was kind of doing it on my own but have also read a lot of positive things about it lately including a study involving weight lifting that showed a significant increase in muscle building in the group that took Anti inflammatories after their workouts. I also take Glucosamine regularly. Knock on wood, but my joints feel better than they have in years.