Commitment to running plan.

Started by TomM, July 06, 2008, 04:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

My jogging mile time when running alone is 12 minutes per mile (stop laughing howavi...  :D )...
I run faster when someone is running with me.  (my dog doesn't push me)
By the time I get to the half marathon (September 21) I should be able to do 6 miles in an hour, although I may not be able to make that on the 12 week program I made up to get there by September 21.  Plus I run alone all the time now.  I had three or four regular running partners previously who were much faster than me and that caused me to push myself.  
Today I tried to push myself on my four mile run by doing a varied run...
I did my four mile run and I split it into three parts.  First mile I sprinted from one telephone pole to the next and then jogged to the next and repeated for one mile... then jogged two miles and the last mile I sprinted to one telephone pole and walked to the next and repeated for a mile... I am trying to gain some speed.  I am going to enter a 10K this Saturday.  I have to find one somewhere near here.
So I am on schedule... I am looking for a 10K for Saturday.  May do six mile of the 10 mile Waunakee run... or (if they won't let someone pick me up at mile six... it would take me an hour to walk the last four miles...yikes) I will do the 10K in Franklin.
I am NOT a fast runner.  I did my last half marathon in 2:01 (2 hours and one minute.)  The half marathon before that was my first one and I did it in 2:27... The marathon winner finished almost right next to me! hahahaha... my friends were laughing because I didn't know why everyone at the finish line was cheering and yelling... It was because the marathon winner was approaching at the same time I was! ha....
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

woody53

Tom,
I would say to do the Waun-a-fest, 5-k run would be good for you as there are some hills involved. Then if you want, double back.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

bigoil

Quote from: "TomM"My jogging mile time when running alone is 12 minutes per mile (stop laughing howavi...  :D )...
I run faster when someone is running with me.  (my dog doesn't push me)
By the time I get to the half marathon (September 21) I should be able to do 6 miles in an hour, although I may not be able to make that on the 12 week program I made up to get there by September 21.  Plus I run alone all the time now.  I had three or four regular running partners previously who were much faster than me and that caused me to push myself.  
Today I tried to push myself on my four mile run by doing a varied run...
I did my four mile run and I split it into three parts.  First mile I sprinted from one telephone pole to the next and then jogged to the next and repeated for one mile... then jogged two miles and the last mile I sprinted to one telephone pole and walked to the next and repeated for a mile... I am trying to gain some speed.  I am going to enter a 10K this Saturday.  I have to find one somewhere near here.
So I am on schedule... I am looking for a 10K for Saturday.  May do six mile of the 10 mile Waunakee run... or (if they won't let someone pick me up at mile six... it would take me an hour to walk the last four miles...yikes) I will do the 10K in Franklin.
I am NOT a fast runner.  I did my last half marathon in 2:01 (2 hours and one minute.)  The half marathon before that was my first one and I did it in 2:27... The marathon winner finished almost right next to me! hahahaha... my friends were laughing because I didn't know why everyone at the finish line was cheering and yelling... It was because the marathon winner was approaching at the same time I was! ha....

I would not laugh. My mile time has gone from 4:30 to 9:00, many days 10:00. I lost the "lean" and gained a lot of other stuff.

TomM

Quote from: "woody53"Tom,
I would say to do the Waun-a-fest, 5-k run would be good for you as there are some hills involved. Then if you want, double back.
Thanks woody... that is good info/advice.  Have you done that race before?
Tom

woody53

Yes, I have done it twice before. I will miss it this year because of other commitments, but will be doing the Depot to Depot in two weeks.

WISCwrestlingfan

Quote from: "woody53"Yes, I have done it twice before. I will miss it this year because of other commitments, but will be doing the Depot to Depot in two weeks.

Thanks for the info TomM & howavi!

How about you guys, woody & Live2Pin?

Quote from: "WISCwrestlingfan"Now you runners have piqued my interest...

* How long does it usually take (elapsed time) to run your daily run and how many miles is it?  

* In what kind of time, do you usually run a mile in?
It's a great day for wrestling! :D

woody53

Since this thread has started, I have changed it up a bit. Before I would do 3 miles, 3 to 4 times a week, just to stay in shape. Usually took between 22 and 23 minutes. I have been running up to 45 minutes lately, with different speeds and intensity. If I am doing a straight mile alone, I can do it in just over 6 minutes. If there is a combined distance, I am usually between a 7:15 and a 7:30 per mile. Not fast but OK for an old fart like me. The one minute walk is good on days that I just need a break.

smitty71

That's pretty good, Woody.  I couldn't have beat that when I was a young squirt, not even close now!!
What I had I gave, what I saved I lost forever!

TomM

woody didn't mention the "jet pack" he wears during "runs"...
Just kidding.. props woody... Crap, I can time myself with a sun dial...  :cry:

WISCwrestlingfan

Quotehttp://www.madison.com/tct/sports/uw/297337

UW football players go to extreme in Bascom conditioning runs

Jim Polzin  
It's a great day for wrestling! :D

TomM

UPDATE:
Mon-3
Wed-4
Fri-2.5
Tomorrow going to Waunakee running road run to do 6 somehow...

MarkK

I'll consider this my commitment to watch your progress Tom
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

woody53

Tom, lets us know how it went today. Don't have to put up a time. Just let us know how you think it went. Good luck and have fun.

Live2Pin

Just got back from Fargo. Ran twice there. I found a trail that ran along the Red River, wasn't real pretty but kept me out of the traffic.

When I started running 3 years ago, the first timed run of any sort that I did was our local 5 K ( 3.1 miles ). I struggled to finish in just under 30 mins. The next year I took 6 minutes of my time and finished in 24:00.
This year I did 23:00, but I think I'm approaching my limits for further improvement.

Last week we did our 14 mile run at about a 9:40 pace and that included our 1 minute walk although I think on long runs like that the walk breaks keep the pace faster.

My runs during the week vary. 5 miles at a 9:00 pace one day. Some days it's 6 miles with the first and last mile as a warm up / cool down and then the middle miles at 7:55.  

I was told recently that I " run like a football player ". I'm pretty sure that coming from a runner that's not a compliment.

I'm thinking about doing the Occonomowoc Half Marathon the end of Aug. as a tune up. Anybody know anything about it ?

TomM

live2pin, the Oconomowoc run is well done.  It starts/ends (I believe) at the YMCA.  I have been there at race time and it seemed well done. (I did not run in it.)

woody,
My Waunafest Run experience should be on a sitcom!  I am SUCH A DORK!!!  Jeeez...
OK, so I arrive shortly before race time, find the registration building (boy they have a nice facility at that Village Park... sheesh... all new and clean and shiny... Very well done and nice!)..I don't have my glasses on, so I pay the fee and, like Mr. Magoo, fill out the form with name address etc... don't remember to check which "race" I'm entering.. (5K or 10 mile) (In my case, using the term "race" loosely mind you!)... and I wander over to the starting area.  Not sure on entrant numbers... but it seemed like 200-300? (I'm not good with numbers OR jogging! ha)... Anyhow they shoot (EXPLODE) off the absolute LOUDEST BOMB of an explosion for the starting "gun"... I almost pee'd my pants as I was standing 10 yards from the explosion and wasn't aware it was going to happen...  Anyways... as usual, I start out TOO FAST (too fast for ME)... everyone around me is speeding along... I am breathing too hard and just know I am going too fast. (of course I forgot my watch and radio headset.. OF COURSE!)... so I'm crusing (and gasping) along at a STEAMIN' 10:30 pace at mile one... (OK... you guys can start reading again after you stop laughing.... I'll wait... )
As the throngs pass me up (I started mid pack and was probably pissing plenty of people off who had to pass me) I go through the second mile at a blazing 21:30... and this is still much faster than I train at, so I know I won't keep it up for long... I ease off the accelerator and remember to walk for a minute (well, 60 paces, as I'd forgotten my watch... D'OH) after the second mile...  The race is entirely out in the open with no shade as it's pretty much run through the business park area (I suppose it's easier to block off those roads on a Saturday morning)... but after about four miles you get into a nice housing area and there were many people with sprinklers and hoses on for us to run through... I run so slow that all the water on me actually never dries, so I'm sort of this wet/soggy old fart rolling down the street. At this point EVERY SINGLE PERSON, including the guy pushing his son in a three wheel chair, has passed me up and I am all but dead last... I'd imagine people may have been looking for the circus wagons behind me... Here I am with my Brewers t-shirt and Cubs hat on... cruising along at molasses speeds...
Anyhow as the last of ALL the other runners goes by me (I think mostly FAST runners/people enter 10 Mile races... not too many slugs like me...) I hook up with a young gal from Chicago who left her boyfreind in the hotel back in Madison to come up to Waunakee to do a "pedestrian" 5 or 6 miles and walk the rest... (same as me), so it was kismet!... we jogged to the six mile mark and walked a two mile short cut back to the finish... crossed the finish line and had a water...as well as one adult beverage which was free!... stretched out, got back in the Jeep Wrangler and headed east to home....
It was a good time... They do a nice job with the race.  Now if I could just remember my watch and learn to put some tunes on my three year old iPod shuffle... I'd be in business...
Now I'm looking to do another 6 miles next Saturday.  So a 10K would be perfect. I don't think I'm ready for seven miles (in a row) yet.