Commitment to running plan.

Started by TomM, July 06, 2008, 04:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Atta boy...
I am seriously considering this "one mile run"/"one minute walk" routine... Could be "the secret"...
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

TomM

UPDATE:
Wednesday, July 9: THREE mile run.
Thursday, July 10 (Cubs game... walked to game! ha)
Friday, July 11; TWO mile run.
Saturday, July 12; FOUR mile run (my "long" run).
Sunday, July 13...tomorrow.. day off of running.
I'm using the "Run one mile; walk one minute" plan... Works for me so far...I feel good.
Stretching before and after runs.  Doing 30 pushups/crunches after each run.
I am "on schedule" for my half marathon in September.

MarkK

Go get em Tom.  I'm inspired to start my second half of regaining Skinny Me.
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

maggie

TOM, glade to see your doing something good for your self! but, will we have to get you 2 seats for the box this year, because of all that muscle mass you will be carrying around with you?...  :lol:  maybe you should start a running a workout like me?...  MON- started out stretching,MY JAW, yelling at the troops in the morning!        TUE- ran to the truck to get a hammer (75-YD)
                             WED-ran to the job trailer for a meeting (100yd)
                            THUR-RAN OUT TO CATCH THE FED-X GUY AS HE WAS LEAVING(50YD)
                             FRI- ran around the block after giving my wife what was left of my check (500yd)
                       SAT-ran to the refrigerator TO GET A REFERSHEMENT!(10yd)
                       SUN- i am giving myself a day off after a stressful week!
i don't know how you do it tom! :lol: ...MORE POWER TO YA!... :wink:
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

TomM

Live2Pin

Any of you running nuts try running in this weather ? I have a very nice treadmill parked in my cool, airconditioned basement right in front of a TV, but decided to do a timed 5 miler tonight outside instead. WOW-
I was almost a full minute per mile off my pace. I thought I was well hydrated etc... I'm still a newbie to this running stuff, but man did I get my butt kicked tonight !!

woody53

Did 4 miles on Monday night and 4 miles last night. I know what you are saying. Totally drained me both nights. Lifted Tuesday and tonight (in A/C) and it's amazing how much more energy I have tonight. Going to go work on the car for the weekend. Wouldn't have even thought about it last night.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

TomM

Glad to see you guys chirping in on your workouts...
UPDATE:
Monday, July 14; Three mile run. (first time the "1 mile/1 minute" felt really good.)
Tuesday "off" running.
Wednesday, July 16; interuptions/complications/TOO HOT... no running today. D'OH!
Thursday, July 17; THREE mile run
Friday (tomorrow) unsure if I will do 2 or not...
Saturday will be a five miler... hope it's cool enough early...
Then perhaps the Jimmy Buffett Concert at Alpine Valley... Anyone else going?

Live2Pin

I'm planning on doing 14 miles Sat. morning. That will be the longest run of my life if I survive ! Not too long ago that was a pretty good year of running.  Then I'm doing an 8 or 9 hour cool down by driving to Fargo! It seems it's 100 degrees everytime we're in Fargo, I'm not looking foward to those runs...

bigoil

Quote from: "Live2Pin"I'm planning on doing 14 miles Sat. morning. That will be the longest run of my life if I survive ! Not too long ago that was a pretty good year of running.  Then I'm doing an 8 or 9 hour cool down by driving to Fargo! It seems it's 100 degrees everytime we're in Fargo, I'm not looking foward to those runs...

Be careful on that transition. That is how I injured myself. Had an awesome 15 mile run, felt great but figured I'd rest most of the day. My upper leg/groin tightened up and to this day isn't the same (4 years later). Stretch, go swimming, but don't get in that car an lock up for 8 hours.

14 miles won't be a problem for you. The hardest part about running is getting past the wall and into the zone which occurs at different distances but usually in the 4 -6 mile range.

Live2Pin

I've gone long and slow to get there. I learned my lesson last year. I was so far ahead of schedule at one point I was running every run trying to get a personal best. Got hurt and missed 5 months. I won't make that mistake again.

The big thing with the long runs for me was realizing that sometimes the first 2 or 3 might feel bad but the miles always seem to get easier after that. I used to go out for a 3 mile run, feel like garbage the first mile and turn around because I figured I'd never make 3 feeling like that !

woody53

I agree with howavi. I know you will do fine in the run, it's hearing about the drive after that could be the problem. See if you can give up some of the driving so that you can stretch and reposition yourself in the car if you can. Good luck in both, lets us know how it goes.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

TomM

Quote from: "Live2Pin"...go out for a 3 mile run, feel like garbage the first mile...
That was my run yesterday morning.  Ugh... Had three taco's and cheese nachos the night before.  My abdomen felt like a block of cement from navel to neck...

TomM

UPDATE:
Did my five mile run this morning at 7:30am to beat the heat... went OK...
Next week...
Mon-3
Wed-4
Fri-2
Sat-6 (I am going to look for a 10K run somewhere...any suggestions?)

WISCwrestlingfan

Now you runners have piqued my interest...

* How long does it usually take (elapsed time) to run your daily run and how many miles is it?  

* In what kind of time, do you usually run a mile in?
It's a great day for wrestling! :D