Commitment to running plan.

Started by TomM, July 06, 2008, 04:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kjohnson

Quote from: TomM on January 02, 2013, 12:55:35 PM
Ups and downs...
First... Did not follow through on my plan.  Had foot issues and that bogged me down from the get go... not able to run and that was my "go to" activity. I am relearning how to train now as an old guy... did not work out much at all for the last four years.  Mind over matter has not been happening here.  So I slogged along and made excuses etc... "too cold out", "too hot out", not making it a priority...
I am glad you have posted this...
More recently, had surgery on left foot in March for two issues... tendon etc.  Then badly sprained right ankle on landscaping job in July.  Don't seem to have recovered from either very well.  Worked out after surgery somewhat consistently.
Joined the YMCA last winter and cut out Diet Coke, improved diet a bit... lost 15 pounds... Then fell off the wagon at end of September.  Started slowly regaining the weight.
NOW... will start back at the YMCA next week and get the diet thing back in order so to speak...
Thanks for posting this..
Check back in a month and see if I am on course...
Thanks!!!!

I'm checking on you. Spring is almost here

Kjohnson

Quote from: Kjohnson on March 26, 2013, 01:02:33 PM
Quote from: TomM on January 02, 2013, 12:55:35 PM
Ups and downs...
First... Did not follow through on my plan.  Had foot issues and that bogged me down from the get go... not able to run and that was my "go to" activity. I am relearning how to train now as an old guy... did not work out much at all for the last four years.  Mind over matter has not been happening here.  So I slogged along and made excuses etc... "too cold out", "too hot out", not making it a priority...
I am glad you have posted this...
More recently, had surgery on left foot in March for two issues... tendon etc.  Then badly sprained right ankle on landscaping job in July.  Don't seem to have recovered from either very well.  Worked out after surgery somewhat consistently.
Joined the YMCA last winter and cut out Diet Coke, improved diet a bit... lost 15 pounds... Then fell off the wagon at end of September.  Started slowly regaining the weight.
NOW... will start back at the YMCA next week and get the diet thing back in order so to speak...
Thanks for posting this..
Check back in a month and see if I am on course...
Thanks!!!!

I'm checking on you. Spring is almost here

Bump

TomM

feet

Started walking 'regularly' this week.  Will build up my distance.  Needs to be a priority.  Did 2 miles for three days then one and one.  Took today off.  Ankles get sore when beginning a walking program evidently.  I did not expect that. 

Since the foot work (surgery) I had done last year in March, my feet are finally feeling like I might be able to run.  Both feet have some sort of issues and don't feel 'normal', but it is not really what I would call 'pain'... more discomfort. Will build up this walking first.  Have not been going to YMCA.  Lack of commitment on my part.  I realize I need to commit to diet and exercise and cross train.
Hardest thing is this; "Getting the part of me that wants to go, to overcome the part that doesn't." Anyone recognize that feeling?

Odd... a life in teaching and coaching and feel like an expert on these things.. yet there is such a gap when applying it to myself.  Human nature?
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Kjohnson

Tom, if you are overweight, I think you should stick to walking. I see so many overweight people running and all I can think is injuries and they will stop because it is too hard. Walking is still the best exercise, add holding weights if you need something extra.

I still think writing down your distance and grading yourself real does help.  Maybe try for 10 miles a week and adding a mile a week,.

As far as diet, make small changes.  Give up sugar drinks or diet drinks for water.  Changing your diet is very hard long term. If you don

TomM

Quote from: Kjohnson on June 08, 2013, 03:45:40 PM
Tom, if you are overweight, I think you should stick to walking. I see so many overweight people running and all I can think is injuries and they will stop because it is too hard. Walking is still the best exercise, add holding weights if you need something extra.
I still think writing down your distance and grading yourself real does help.  Maybe try for 10 miles a week and adding a mile a week,.
As far as diet, make small changes.  Give up sugar drinks or diet drinks for water.  Changing your diet is very hard long term. If you don
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"