Kelly Bires tonight on ESPN 2

Started by millert, June 09, 2007, 11:29:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woody53

Bires finishes 23rd at Fontana, two laps down. He was in the middle of the wreck that took out Kenseth, Vickers and Leight. Rusty Wallace even defended Kelly saying there was nothing he could do in that instant. "Just one of those racin' deals." I missed the first part of the race. Anyone know how he got two laps down early?
Its great when they do talk about him on TV, they always bring up the fact that he was a two time state wrestling champ in Wisconsin.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

millert

His car wasn't good from the start and the leaders were setting some record laps to start.  Lots of cars went laps down early.  Long greens with few cautions early.  Glad he missed the big wreck.  Kelly was right behind the action and just cleared it on the bottom.
"I must dictate the dream"  bergy

woody53

Bires really amazes me every time he goes to a track for a first time. His morning practice speeds only had him 36th at Richmond today. He goes out during qualifying an goes 3/10 of a second quicker to start tonight in the 24th spot. To the lay person it might not seem like much but that is huge.

woody53

Kept the pace and kept the car clean most of the night to finish 26th. 17 Cup regulars, that are doing double duty, finished in front of him. Car looked good in the corners just seemed to lack the speed at the end of the straights.

woody53

Bires heads to Dover this week. Again it will be another first time at a track. Being that is is a high speed track that requires alot of down-force, the Wood Brothers usually prepare a pretty good car for such a track. The real kicker will be that it is a concrete track that has a really narrow grove, and 24 degree banking. I look for Kelly to have a top twenty finish.

Cauliflower Ear

Hi guys.  I'll be the first to admit that I'm only an occasional Nascar fan and will watch from time to time.  I do have a question though.  How did Kelly make it up to the Busch Series, and will we see him racing in the Nextel Cup in the near future?  What is the biggest factor for him to get to the next level?  I'm guessing he has to perform on the track, but is this a business that you must know someone to get to the next level?  Just curious how these racers make it to the "big show".

woody53

millert can probably tell you more but Kelly moved down south right after graduation to work for Fitz-Bradshaw Racing. The sponsorship money didn't come through for him and he worked in the shop down there and got one ARCA start at Charlotte. He moved back to Wisconsin to restart his Late Model career and in 2006 won a drivers search to replace Steven Leight in the Waltom Racing ASA ride. Bires had a great season last year were he had 8 wins, and ran away with both the rookie of the year tiltle and the overall ASA championship. That caught the eye of the Wood Brothers and they hired Kelly to do the entire Craftsman Truck Series this year. He switched over to the Busch Series when Jon Wood had some health issues early in the summer. From what I understand the idea is to have him finish out he year in Busch and keep him in the Busch series full time for 2008.

millert

Kelly will run a full Busch season in 2008 for JTG racing.  JTG is a subsidiary of Wood Brothers.  Things go well in 2008, Cup could happen in 2009.  He is a hard working kid that learned a great work ethic in wrestling.  His owner has told me that he is one of the most driven, dedicated, and hard working kid she has worked with.  That basically describes his wrestling career also.  Nothing better then hearing about his wrestling accomplishments during a Busch race on ESPN.  That is the exposure our sport needs.  He told me that a driver, I think it was Edwards, asked him about his wrestling career.  He said he tried it but it was such a tough sport he hung it up.  He was very impressed with what Kelly had done.

woody53

Bires morning practice today had him 10th quickest. Not bad for his first session on the track.

millert

Woody

I have a shirt from Kelly for you.  He only had a large with him.  I will get it in the mail to you soon.

woody53

Tell Kelly thank you very much. It will fit in nicely in my collection.

woody53

Good job today for Kelly. Started 21st, ran as high as 13th. Got loose out of turn four during a restart. Got tagged by Steven Wallace, smucked the wall, and lost a lap. Came back to get back on the lead lap and got a 19th place finish. (did't I say he would get a top 20 :wink:) Another day just like he needed for experience.

millert

Woody

Kelly's air force car will be on display in Lyndon Station, in front of Miller's Store on Tuesday Oct 2nd from 4:00 to 5:30.  Kelly won't be there but it should be cool.  Try and stop by.

Miller

woody53

Thanks! I will do my best to make it up there to see it. Maybe get a photo or two.

millert

Remind me to get you that shirt too.  Save me from mailing it.