NCAA, Power 5 agree to deal that will let schools pay players

Started by vsmf2010, May 28, 2024, 11:49:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ledger

At least this gets rid of the 9.9 scholarship limitation.  Unfortunately programs like Penn State can now load up their roster with 2+ full scholarship athletes at each weight class.

vsmf2010

Quote from: Ledger on May 28, 2024, 12:54:35 PMAt least this gets rid of the 9.9 scholarship limitation.  Unfortunately programs like Penn State can now load up their roster with 2+ full scholarship athletes at each weight class.

I thought of that too and originally was thinking that might be a good thing but when you consider that wrestling is a non-revenue sport it is hard to imagine that most schools (including the UW) are going to be unlikely to want to expand past 9.9 unless boosters are footing the bill. It will be interesting to see what the roster size limit is but if PSU, Ok St, Iowa, UM etc.. have 30 ish guys on scholarship I can see a lot of programs just throwing in the towel.

Ghetto

I thought I read somewhere that there might be a different "level" for schools who pay their athletes. If Penn State did, and no one else did, how would that work?
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

BadgerOne

Quote from: Ghetto on May 29, 2024, 12:36:04 PMI thought I read somewhere that there might be a different "level" for schools who pay their athletes. If Penn State did, and no one else did, how would that work?
That premise is not true.  I think Iowa pays a lot.  Michigan also is rumored to pay a lot.   Oklahoma State might be paying now.

Ghetto

Quote from: BadgerOne on May 29, 2024, 08:28:33 PM
Quote from: Ghetto on May 29, 2024, 12:36:04 PMI thought I read somewhere that there might be a different "level" for schools who pay their athletes. If Penn State did, and no one else did, how would that work?
That premise is not true.  I think Iowa pays a lot.  Michigan also is rumored to pay a lot.   Oklahoma State might be paying now.

What I meant was, if they make a "pay level" for wrestling, and only four schools meet that threshold, it's going to be pretty difficult to build a schedule.

That doesn't seem to be the case.

Reading over the document, there's a lot up in the air and unsettled. The one thing that is for certain, the onus is on football and basketball. They are only considering those two sports when looking at this whole mess.

Like Andrew Brandt says, there will be lawyers. It is going to get tied up in litigation for a long while.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove