What about the "other" college wrestling in Wisconsin

Started by bjb0501, May 13, 2024, 03:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bjb0501

Since this forum is titled "Wisconsin Collegiate Wrestling - All Divisions"; I thought I'd try to bring a more positive discussion to the forum.  Wisconsin has several programs that are doing quite well in their respective divisions (Parkside, La Crosse & Eau Claire come to mind).  I'd love to hear more about the positive direction those programs are heading, their projected line-ups and incoming recruits instead of the same discussion about the Badgers.  I believe some of these programs may have national title aspirations. Honestly it's harder to find information about those divisions, so any insight would be appreciated.

littleguy301

Quote from: bjb0501 on May 13, 2024, 03:59:37 PMSince this forum is titled "Wisconsin Collegiate Wrestling - All Divisions"; I thought I'd try to bring a more positive discussion to the forum.  Wisconsin has several programs that are doing quite well in their respective divisions (Parkside, La Crosse & Eau Claire come to mind).  I'd love to hear more about the positive direction those programs are heading, their projected line-ups and incoming recruits instead of the same discussion about the Badgers.  I believe some of these programs may have national title aspirations. Honestly it's harder to find information about those divisions, so any insight would be appreciated.

Nice post!

Parkside is for sure top 10 if not higher team next year. I am pretty sure they could be working to top 5 pretty easily. in D2 Central Oklahoma has rallied the team.and is going to be hard to unseen. They have the same donor that is making news for the okie state program. Richison was a former central.oklahome wrestler.

LA Crosse put together a very nice ncaa tournament even leading in points very late. Malechek is one of the best D3 coaches out there along with Eau Claire Tim Fador. Eau claire finished very high also. Favor has turned that program around in a very short period of time. Favor and Malechek are very visible and are doing great jobs.

Nick Becker is still young but has gave the parkside program a shot in the arm. I want to say Parkside returns all of their national quailifiers for next year! Parkside biggest hurdle is in their conference for wrestling 4 of the top 10 teams are in the co ference and regions! In 2025 Parkside region quailifier is in sioux falls south dakota and nationals in indy!

Is D3 again in LA Crosse next year?

Also a ton of state wrestlers on many D2 and D3 teams. 26 Dq through D3 AA from Wisconsin this past year!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

MatScoutWillie

Quote from: littleguy301 on May 13, 2024, 06:35:52 PM
Quote from: bjb0501 on May 13, 2024, 03:59:37 PMSince this forum is titled "Wisconsin Collegiate Wrestling - All Divisions"; I thought I'd try to bring a more positive discussion to the forum.  Wisconsin has several programs that are doing quite well in their respective divisions (Parkside, La Crosse & Eau Claire come to mind).  I'd love to hear more about the positive direction those programs are heading, their projected line-ups and incoming recruits instead of the same discussion about the Badgers.  I believe some of these programs may have national title aspirations. Honestly it's harder to find information about those divisions, so any insight would be appreciated.

Nice post!

Parkside is for sure top 10 if not higher team next year. I am pretty sure they could be working to top 5 pretty easily. in D2 Central Oklahoma has rallied the team.and is going to be hard to unseen. They have the same donor that is making news for the okie state program. Richison was a former central.oklahome wrestler.

LA Crosse put together a very nice ncaa tournament even leading in points very late. Malechek is one of the best D3 coaches out there along with Eau Claire Tim Fador. Eau claire finished very high also. Favor has turned that program around in a very short period of time. Favor and Malechek are very visible and are doing great jobs.

Nick Becker is still young but has gave the parkside program a shot in the arm. I want to say Parkside returns all of their national quailifiers for next year! Parkside biggest hurdle is in their conference for wrestling 4 of the top 10 teams are in the co ference and regions! In 2025 Parkside region quailifier is in sioux falls south dakota and nationals in indy!

Is D3 again in LA Crosse next year?

Also a ton of state wrestlers on many D2 and D3 teams. 26 Dq through D3 AA from Wisconsin this past year!

D3 is in Rhode Island next year.   >:(

bjb0501

Thank you for the insight.  It's exciting to here about these programs competing in the upper echelon of their divisions.

We have a very strong D3 presence in our state, but only one D1 and D2 program, as well as no NAIA or NJCAA programs. On the recent podcast with Ben a question was brought up about new college programs potentially starting up in the state.  I believe he mentioned starting a NAIA program at a small school in Fond du lac (I assume he was referring to Marian?).  Are there any serious discussions in the works about new programs being started?  With so many of our wrestlers leaving the state it would be great to have more options for them to pick from in Wisconsin.

dforsythe

The AD at UW-Green Bay is a former wrestler. I have mentioned to him more than once about adding men's and women's wrestling. I don't think that will happen. The new president at Marian is my former superintendent. He is very open to the idea of adding men's and women's wrestling.

CityGuy

Our D2 and D3 wrestling is some of the best in the country. Lacrosse, Eau Claire and Whitewater are top of the pack. We also have a few squads who are some of the worst in the country. The WIAC is a solid conference. Parkside and Becker are red hot and always bring the heat. We had a NJCAA program from 2021-23, not sure if it will be revived in the future. We lost a few other programs over the years and a new D3 should be joining next year up north. NAIA could be a game changer here. Lots of oppurtunites to have a great wrestling experience in state at an affordable price, we are blessed.

bjb0501

With enrollment numbers down at most universities, you would think more schools would be considering adding men's and women's programs.  Most campuses have space they could convert to a practice area and almost all have a gym to host home events.  Plus the total cost of buying mats, singlets and some other equipment would be fractional compared to costs associated with other sports like: hockey, football, baseball/softball, swimming, etc.  With wrestling now being offered to both genders also solves the title IX hurdle.

littleguy301

Quote from: bjb0501 on May 14, 2024, 12:07:02 PMWith enrollment numbers down at most universities, you would think more schools would be considering adding men's and women's programs.  Most campuses have space they could convert to a practice area and almost all have a gym to host home events.  Plus the total cost of buying mats, singlets and some other equipment would be fractional compared to costs associated with other sports like: hockey, football, baseball/softball, swimming, etc.  With wrestling now being offered to both genders also solves the title IX hurdle.

I have often wondered how much it would cost to start any division wrestling program. 400k to 1.2 million depends on the level and that would be the cheapest. Coaches salaries, travel expenses and training for D3. 400k a year, would that do it?

Isn't it costing okie state north of 4 million a year adding DT and staff and NIL money? I am not including scholarships either. To hard to figure how schools do it now.

I wish more schools would add wrestling though. A no brainer when it comes to title 9. Probably is the cheapest or one of the cheapest sports.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

bjb0501

40-50 (men's and women's rosters combined) new student athletes x $20k in tuition = $800K-$1M in additional revenue annually for a university, correct?  Plus you could add housing, food plan, books/school supplies into the revenue equation. 

I'm sure I am overly simplifying this, but what are we missing?  Seems like a no brainer.