Team state officiating

Started by Preparewrestlingcoach, March 06, 2020, 08:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Preparewrestlingcoach

I'm sick and tired of how this tournament is officiated it's still supposed to be Wiaa folkstyle wrestling. I've never been to team state as a athlete or coach I have no ties to the teams just wanna see some good wrestling. I go watch every year. I always regret it. The definition of stalling is avoiding wrestling. I watch a kid from arrowhead attempt to cut the mukwanago kid for last 10 seconds of the match with the mukwanago kid laying on his belly holding an arm refusing to wrestle and no call is made yet in every match a wrestler who is "supposed" to win gets stalling point after stalling point just because they can't turn the kid on bottom. Stalling is avoiding wrestling it should be called at team state the way it is all season and the fact that it isn't is despicable.

thequad

I also see a huge difference in calling near fall points. Some refs are calling them at 90 degrees and others are following the rule of 45 degrees.
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

downtown

Stalling is always so hard to call uniformly in reffing.  As long as the official calls it the same consistently from match to match that is all you can ask for.  I wished they called stalling more often on the guy on bottom who doesn't work up and also more in the first period.  Refs for some reason love to call stalling on the guy who is winning late in the third period during the bigger matches.  IMO.  Reffing is a tough job though.

MarkK

If the kid behind by 8 points would have worked harder in the first period he wouldn't have to look so busy in the third period.   I like to see wrestlers earn their points not be awarded points for an apparent aggressive desparation.  On the other hand I don't like seeing a wrestler suck the mat.   Stalling just seems way too subjective.  I don't blàme the refs though it is built into the system.  So they have to navigate it.
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

longsit

want an "inside"?  officials have told me while in their pre-team state meetings that they "have to call stalling more" for this event.  They know they are being observed by the head of the WIAA so they do; or they feel they will not ever get to ref that even again.  And that is from Multiple officials. 

MNbadger

My pet peeve!  Most referees start counting after breaking 90 degrees.  Absolutely not what the rules call for.
Quote from: thequad on March 07, 2020, 12:51:03 PM
I also see a huge difference in calling near fall points. Some refs are calling them at 90 degrees and others are following the rule of 45 degrees.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

Coach V

Wrestling refs are no different than baseball umpires and their strike zone. Figure it out and wrestle within what they want and have your kids ready to deal with a call they may not like. They did  just fine.
You dont wrestle,your a wrestler

Spartan

Quote from: longsit on March 09, 2020, 08:57:08 PM
want an "inside"?  officials have told me while in their pre-team state meetings that they "have to call stalling more" for this event.  They know they are being observed by the head of the WIAA so they do; or they feel they will not ever get to ref that even again.  And that is from Multiple officials.

That was not part of the meeting

bigoil

We had great reffing in Division 2!

littleguy301

I wasnt at team state  so I really cannt say much about the reffing.

I will say this, I think if the reffing associations worked with the coaches association I think you would have a clearer idea of what calls would be. Having the refs answer to the wiaa is going to limit the clearness of calls and will limit establishing clear cut definitions of rules.

I have also heard from refs that they are pushed to call certain things. Not saying it was a part of the team state but in general it is handed down to refs what is on the agenda.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Preparewrestlingcoach

Quote from: longsit on March 09, 2020, 08:57:08 PM

They should be told to buy some noise-cancelling headphones to wear and stop letting the crowd make calls for them because of the rest of the season they do not. A good official makes the same call at a youth tournament as they do the state finals consistency is what makes an excellent official.

Sidenote:

Last I checked team state is still WIAA folkstyle wrestling so the thought that it should be refed differently is preposterous.

The wrestler

I was there other than calling stalling faster is what I like. I think our Refs did a great job. They made the boys wrestle. Not bad for the boys who are always moving but when you try not to get pinned and stick out your arms and legs they got dinged   Job well done refs.

bigoil

I watched most of the matches back on track and I don't see a whole lot that stood out. The Mukwonago coach was furious in the Dow/Goebel match but that was clearly stalling, clearly on purpose. He took at least three steps backwards before Goebel moved on the whistle in OT and from there kept going backwards out of bounds.