Conference tournament weekend

Started by Whizzersoldman, January 27, 2019, 08:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whizzersoldman

I'll be going to the F.V.A. tournament and after being at the Pulaski invite, my expectations are not that high. Sure - there are
some great kids and there will be some great matches. The following week-end is a repeat except there will be a couple of teams missing. It will give the kids a chance to redeem a loss from the week before. Does this happen to most conferences, were the regional is a mirror of the conference tournament? I believe Kaukauna is the favorite to go on to the team tournament from this regional. Are there any regional were there is not a clear cut favorite? You know, the type were you don't what to expect?

DKelly28

Quote from: CObadgerfan on January 28, 2019, 07:05:53 AM
When they realigned the SWAL & SWC in the 80's they combined both for the conference tournament. Always some great match ups between D3 and D2 kids/teams. Looks like Fennimore, PDC this year with River Valley, MP and Riverdale having some tough kids as usual. Still most of the D2 teams are usually together at regional again.

Well technically, the Southern Eight & SWAL combined starting with the 1987-88 school year and then the SWAL Large & Small split off into the SWAL & SWC for the 2005-06 school year.

It's odd for me to say this as a PdC supporter but don't forget about Lancaster especially with how impressive they were Friday Night in defeating the Hawks to win the SWC Dual Title.

PCA

Conference tournaments can be useful to test the waters for kids who are thinking about dropping for regionals, they can get an opportunity to wrestle kids at that weight who are going to compete for state

upnortwrastlin

Quote from: PCA on January 28, 2019, 11:59:59 AM
Conference tournaments can be useful to test the waters for kids who are thinking about dropping for regionals, they can get an opportunity to wrestle kids at that weight who are going to compete for state

You could really do that with any tournament.

I'd be game for someone hosting a tournament where kids get lumped by win percentage. For instance, make a bracket of only kids that are over .700.

woody53

Quote from: upnortwrastlin on January 29, 2019, 11:49:32 AM
Quote from: PCA on January 28, 2019, 11:59:59 AM

You could really do that with any tournament.

I'd be game for someone hosting a tournament where kids get lumped by win percentage. For instance, make a bracket of only kids that are over .700.
Why? These kids work hard all year. Why not have a lower percentage guy wrestle a highly ranked guy. Made a big difference in my life. It is not  all about the top guys. Build the others to their level. To do that. They have to wrestle them.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

firemanscarry

Conference tourneys can be kind of a letdown in smaller conferences without many schools. Some have to change formats to dual tourneys. Can they be done as round robin, or is that not kosher with the WIAA? Some weights only have three guys. It would be nice if everyone at least got to wrestle twice.

If I remember right, the NLC runs a middle school tourney at the same time as the conference tourney so that there is more wrestling going on during the day. Ramjet?
"If ya wanna be the man, ya gotta beat the man!"

imwi

Quote from: firemanscarry on January 29, 2019, 01:56:55 PM
Conference tourneys can be kind of a letdown in smaller conferences without many schools. Some have to change formats to dual tourneys. Can they be done as round robin, or is that not kosher with the WIAA? Some weights only have three guys. It would be nice if everyone at least got to wrestle twice.

If I remember right, the NLC runs a middle school tourney at the same time as the conference tourney so that there is more wrestling going on during the day. Ramjet?

Pretty sure the WIAA doesn't care about conference tournaments as far as the format goes, that's on the conference.  Not 100% but fairly certain