Medbery?

Started by leg turk, March 24, 2016, 11:52:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leg turk

Can someone explain to me the Olympic situation he is in?  Does he have to win his weight at the US trials coming up in April, to be put on the official Olympic team?  If so, what are his chances of winning that spot?

buc65

Quote from: leg turk on March 24, 2016, 11:52:21 AM
Can someone explain to me the Olympic situation he is in?  Does he have to win his weight at the US trials coming up in April, to be put on the official Olympic team?  If so, what are his chances of winning that spot?

Yes, you have to win the Olympic Trials to be on the Olympic team.  His chances are non-existent.  In the most recent rankings (December) he is ranked 9th in his weight class.

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Rankings/US-Senior-Rankings/FS/Individual/2015/December/4/USA-Wrestling-Mens-Freestyle-Rankings-December-2015

leg turk

Wow, that is indeed a long shot!

Oldtimer

Baffling to me why the good but long shot take complete red shirt years to train for one Olympic spot.  I wish him well.
Beware of the northern sleeper

Dale Einerson

I don't know, starving college kid barely making ends meet wrestling D1, decides to take a year off of college, his current situation funded much like his scholarship would be, to train for a shot for a very unique and wonderful experience participating in a sport that he loves.  Yeah, he is crazy!

whatever

....not to mention, another year of training with Olympic hopefuls gives him much better preparation for his final year of eligibility.

Crazy?....more like pretty Dang smart.
"....the older I get, the better I was....."

leg turk

Quote from: whatever on March 24, 2016, 02:39:50 PM
....not to mention, another year of training with Olympic hopefuls gives him much better preparation for his final year of eligibility.

Crazy?....more like pretty Dang smart.

Does it really help you towards Folkstyle though?  Serious question.

hammen

Yes, especially at heavyweight.

Barou

Quote from: Dale Einerson on March 24, 2016, 02:24:02 PM
I don't know, starving college kid barely making ends meet wrestling D1, decides to take a year off of college, his current situation funded much like his scholarship would be, to train for a shot for a very unique and wonderful experience participating in a sport that he loves.  Yeah, he is crazy!

Doesn't happen often dale but I have to say that post is 100% spot on. Best of luck to medbury.
JHI Mafia

wrastle63

Yea made complete sense! Plus it gave Brock a chance at being a HWT for a year. This was the best decision for Medberry and the team. It gives the team another year to find their HWT in waiting and gives Medberry a chance to push for that national title.

Gutwrench

Hwt. places this year:

1st Snyder - Sophomore
3rd Coon - Junior
4th Walz - Junior
5th Dhesi - Sophomore
7th Kroells - Junior

Right now Snyder and Coon are the clear front runners in my opinion.  Medberry is right there as an AA candidate for sure, but there is plenty of tough hombres in the mix as usual.

Ghetto

Does Snyder wrestle if he wins an Olympic gold?
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Barou

Quote from: Ghetto on March 24, 2016, 07:04:18 PM

I'm betting he doesn't. Wouldn't he have to decline the 250k for winning gold to retain amateur status?  Would love to hear from someone in the know. Did he turn down the 50k for winning worlds?
JHI Mafia

Numbers

Quote from: Barou on March 24, 2016, 07:31:56 PM
Quote from: Ghetto on March 24, 2016, 07:04:18 PM

I'm betting he doesn't. Wouldn't he have to decline the 250k for winning gold to retain amateur status?  Would love to hear from someone in the know. Did he turn down the 50k for winning worlds?

Pretty sure the money would go into some type of "trust" account to protect his college eligibility.  I think the account already has some money from his World Gold last September.
I believe the money can go toward training expenses/international events.

Oldtimer

Quote from: Dale Einerson on March 24, 2016, 02:24:02 PM

I am no longer baffled.  Side note... I never called him crazy.
Beware of the northern sleeper