please list the paid assistants for last 20 years

Started by philschanen123abc, April 09, 2015, 06:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philschanen123abc

Can someone or more than one person contribute to listing the paid assistant coaches for the last 20 years? 

OneEyedFatMan

Here's a partial list- great guys!

Donny Pritzlaff
Terry Steiner
Troy Steiner
Cory Wallman
Bart Chelsevig
Trevor Brandvold
Kyle Ruschell

8)

Quote from: philschanen123abc on April 09, 2015, 06:26:44 PM
Can someone or more than one person contribute to listing the paid assistant coaches for the last 20 years? 

"Dying ain't much of a livin', boy"

Handles II

Here's a start: I can only think back to about '98 or so.
Bart Cheslesvig
Terry Steiner
Troy Steiner (troy was strength coach I believe, so not officially a coach) These first three is what I believe was the strongest combination of assistant coaches)
Corry Wallman
Donny Pritzlaff
Jared Frayer
Trevor Brandvold
Kyle Ruschell

Jimmy

Was kolat in madison for a while or did I dream that?

dad 2 5

Kevin Black

Sean Bormet

Cary Kolat was in Madison for a few months in early 1999.  He left without warning or goodbyes over winter break to train at Pitt with Sanshiro Abe.  His locker had gear in it through the end of the season.  He was also competing in the same weight class as Troy Steiner, so their was a conflict there.  It was my understanding that he was in a paid position of some kind, however, it might have been an outside source?

In 1998, the assistant coaches were Terry and Troy Steiner, Bart Chelesvig and Sean Bormet.  Troy's position was eliminated (Title IX).  Troy did his best to be a part of things as a "volunteer assistant," however, the administration gave everyone fits (following the Shoe Box scandal...).  Eventually, Troy was not allowed in the room.  Sean left and eventually started Overtime before returning to Michigan.   Roster management also became part of the equation and another assistant coaching position was eliminated.  To start the 1999 season, the team was allowed 26 roster spots and 3 paid coaches.  The ideas of a club were in place, but there was much resistance from administration. 

I graduated in 2003 and intended on being a "volunteer assistant" coach as I continued training.  My brother Tony went through his eligibility in his first four years and the athletic department had a provision that allowed him to still be a part of the team in an official capacity as a 5th year senior.  I was able to wrestle with the team as an alumni on an "occasional basis," which was a grey area.  I missed the opportunity to file specific paperwork to be an official volunteer assistant.  Our associate AD (Terry Gawlik) determined that "occasional basis" meant once a month.  She said Ohio State had set that standard within the Big Ten, which couldn't have been further from the truth as one of my friends was in the room everyday in Ohio State as an alumni that season.  I also had friends who were in the room everyday in Minnesota as alumni.  The compliance office was strict about their interpretation of the rules and followed them with no wriggle room because of the cloud of investigations previously from the Shoe Box and some Title IX issues.  It made it difficult for me to train, that's for sure. 

The following season, Tony was an official volunteer assistant coach.  The Big Ten guidelines allowed for one volunteer assistant (official paperwork with the athletic department, etc.).  I still attempted to train with the team as an alumni.  Gawlik began attending every practice and traveling with the team to police the situation.  I felt it created a significant disadvantage for us in that we had All-Americans still in Madison who weren't allowed to train with the team, travel to events or sit mat side while the likes of Minnesota had 8-10 volunteers/alumni taking care of important coaching responsibilities.  Rules are rules, so I appreciate following them, however, several programs (at that time) had a much different relationship with the compliance office.  I haven't been in Madison for quite some time, so I don't know what the situation is today with the compliance office.
Isaiah 26:8

woody53

Quote from: Kevin Black on April 10, 2015, 03:12:30 PM
Sean Bormet

Cary Kolat was in Madison for a few months in early 1999.  He left without warning or goodbyes over winter break to train at Pitt with Sanshiro Abe.  His locker had gear in it through the end of the season.  He was also competing in the same weight class as Troy Steiner, so their was a conflict there.  It was my understanding that he was in a paid position of some kind, however, it might have been an outside source?

In 1998, the assistant coaches were Terry and Troy Steiner, Bart Chelesvig and Sean Bormet.  Troy's position was eliminated (Title IX).  Troy did his best to be a part of things as a "volunteer assistant," however, the administration gave everyone fits (following the Shoe Box scandal...).  Eventually, Troy was not allowed in the room.  Sean left and eventually started Overtime before returning to Michigan.   Roster management also became part of the equation and another assistant coaching position was eliminated.  To start the 1999 season, the team was allowed 26 roster spots and 3 paid coaches.  The ideas of a club were in place, but there was much resistance from administration. 

I graduated in 2003 and intended on being a "volunteer assistant" coach as I continued training.  My brother Tony went through his eligibility in his first four years and the athletic department had a provision that allowed him to still be a part of the team in an official capacity as a 5th year senior.  I was able to wrestle with the team as an alumni on an "occasional basis," which was a grey area.  I missed the opportunity to file specific paperwork to be an official volunteer assistant.  Our associate AD (Terry Gawlik) determined that "occasional basis" meant once a month.  She said Ohio State had set that standard within the Big Ten, which couldn't have been further from the truth as one of my friends was in the room everyday in Ohio State as an alumni that season.  I also had friends who were in the room everyday in Minnesota as alumni.  The compliance office was strict about their interpretation of the rules and followed them with no wriggle room because of the cloud of investigations previously from the Shoe Box and some Title IX issues.  It made it difficult for me to train, that's for sure. 

The following season, Tony was an official volunteer assistant coach.  The Big Ten guidelines allowed for one volunteer assistant (official paperwork with the athletic department, etc.).  I still attempted to train with the team as an alumni.  Gawlik began attending every practice and traveling with the team to police the situation.  I felt it created a significant disadvantage for us in that we had All-Americans still in Madison who weren't allowed to train with the team, travel to events or sit mat side while the likes of Minnesota had 8-10 volunteers/alumni taking care of important coaching responsibilities.  Rules are rules, so I appreciate following them, however, several programs (at that time) had a much different relationship with the compliance office.  I haven't been in Madison for quite some time, so I don't know what the situation is today with the compliance office.
Pretty sure this is the biggest reason why our program is where it is at. Thank you Kevin.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

wrestlemania

"Pretty sure this is the biggest reason why our program is where it is at"

Exactly! And people think we're at the same level with Iowa, Ohio State, Penn State and Minnesota and we're not trying hard enough. That's not true.

stp

Quote from: woody53 on April 10, 2015, 06:55:34 PM

Pretty sure this is the biggest reason why our program is where it is at. Thank you Kevin.

aaaaaaaaaaaand we have a winner!
From Milwaukee to St Paris.

EIUwrestler1

A pretty innocent sounding question revealed
A lot of interesting information.

MNbadger

OK, I seriously don't want to irritate people here.  Having said this, I have known of this forever and I am more of an outsider than most.  Admittedly I did not know the personal glitches (Kevin, Tony, etc) but the general poor system of support is not news.
The more important part is what are the fans (and those involved in the program) going to do about it? 
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan