D2 State Champ Predictions

Started by tiger, January 26, 2015, 05:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Street Glide

my guess Marko wrestles where's he comfortable with his weight.  I'm not sure he would take a poll of opinions of where others think he should be. 

Street Glide

It's sounding to me the lobbyist to wonder wher Marko will be are getting nervous.  The East Troy kid of course wants Marko to stay 126 and the work out partners for Wright would rather have him at 120.   What ever weight he chooses he will bring 100%.  Settle down we will know Saturday.

wrestle84

So many times we get caught up in what weight we think someone should go because as fans, we want to see the best matchups. For someone like Marko, they also need to consider what implications choosing a weight class will have on future national tournaments. I know there is one of the Nationals that you must wrestle the weight you did for your state tournament.

Ofhsfan

To qualify for Fargo National tournament you must wrestle at the weight you won state.
But that is Freestyle and Greco not Folkstyle.

ICEMAN112

Quote from: Ofhsfan on February 12, 2015, 10:56:32 AM
To qualify for Fargo National tournament you must wrestle at the weight you won state.

Not completely true...if there are openings you can move weight classes. That happened last year Junior 160 for example moved to 152 at Fargo.

Oldtimer

There is no correlation to winning HS state and Fargo.  Not even the same weight classes.  You can wrestle a different weight class at Fargo.  Deiringer won freestyle in one weight and Grecko in another same year.
Beware of the northern sleeper

Street Glide

Yeah I'm not sure where this came from either.  Marko won state at 113 last year, but did not wrestle that at freestyle in Fargo. 

Han Solo

Quote from: wrestling#1 on February 12, 2015, 09:01:00 AM
What happens to Austen Connors (currently ranked 3rd) if Marko drops to 120 lbs? 
He has nowhere to go but up.
Would be a real shame seeing him getting bumped out of the lineup when Marko could win it at 126 or 132 lbs.
I hope Marko takes the challenge and goes 126 lbs to wrestle Wright - that's how the great ones make history!!!

Thats how wrestling works... if  you get beat out you have to drop or go up.  That is what is great about our sport.  The best guy wrestles the weight he wants to and no politics are involved.  And i'm pretty sure if Marko goes 120 and wins his 3rd state title no one is going to say, "yeah but he didn't wrestle Wright junior year". If they do they aren't very smart. 
Never tell me the odds!

shouldvewrestled

I think Marko stays 126 and beats Wright in a great match.  Hopefully finals.

Han Solo

No... not sure where you heard that.  Has never been the case.  
Never tell me the odds!

nutman

I believe the tournament t being referred to at the national level was the National High School Coaches Association Post-Season Nationals showcase during their junior year.  Wrestlers were allowed to go up a weight class, but  couldn't go any lower than the MWC in their respective state associations.  They were urged to stay at the same weight class as their state tournament placing.   I'm not sure if that is still a requirement.  

wrestling135

Quote from: ICEMAN112 on February 12, 2015, 12:09:41 PM

Not completely true...if there are openings you can move weight classes. That happened last year Junior 160 for example moved to 152 at Fargo.

Dierenger won it at two different weights in Fargo in one year

Street Glide

Quote from: wrestling#1 on February 12, 2015, 09:01:00 AM
What happens to Austen Connors (currently ranked 3rd) if Marko drops to 120 lbs? 
He has nowhere to go but up.
Would be a real shame seeing him getting bumped out of the lineup when Marko could win it at 126 or 132 lbs.
I hope Marko takes the challenge and goes 126 lbs to wrestle Wright - that's how the great ones make history!!!

Would also be a real shame to bump out someone from east Troy.  Maybe Vogel excepts the challenge.  Works both ways doesn't it?

Mat Warrior

Quote from: tiger on February 11, 2015, 01:15:26 PM
I'm going to do this again

106- Brock Bergelin (impressive, going on a limb to say he will pin his way through)
113- Paul Bianchi (solid wrestler will be contested by Lieber, Hatfield, Costello)
120- Austen Connor (not really sure about this weight class)
126-  (contested by Wright, Roddick solid wrestler 4x I believe knock on wood)
132- Jaden Winchel (beat some impressive kids this year still undefeated)
138- Mason Berceau (Bahr isn't coming back this is my pick)
145- Brock Polhamus (gets revenge on Yauch after runner-up to him last year)
152- Dewey Krueger (on a mission)
160- Ronny Ponick (impressive guy maybe Brewer or Donati)
170- Brady Colden (not sure just guessing)
182- Bennett Paulson (put in much work over offseason... Wozniak v Paulson hopeful semis or finals)
195- Brady Wetter (impressive guy who will make a run for it)
220- Traiten Gorr (not sure on this one)
285- Cole LaLiberty (believe he was close last year only losing by a couple to state champ)

If Paulson and Wozniak meet it would be the finals as they are both in the same sectional and would guess one of the two will win the sectional and the other would be on the opposite side of the bracket as a 2 or possible 3. Paulson is a beast this year and is my pick. It will also be a great sectional match also.

wrestle84

106-Berglin, Denmark
113-Bianchi, TR
120-Vogel, ET
126-Marko, Amery
132-Winchel, Sparta
138-Yauch, TR
145-Polhamus, Sparta
152-Krueger, OF
160-Ponick, SB
170-Rueth, NGL
182-Paulson, Amery