Cowboy & Pointer Open Results

Started by CLC FAN, November 08, 2014, 05:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mkm13

I hope Thielke, Taylor, and Liegel are able to wrestle soon, or it could be a long year. 

Good to see the freshman do well against that level of competition, although it is a bit concerning to see Christiansen lose to Becker. 

Nice day for Medberry, McCall, and Cousins. 

TomM

N. Becker started at Central Michigan last year and is pretty good IMO
He defeated No. 14 John Staudenmayer of North Carolina at Northeast Duals, 5-1 (11/30/2013)
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

TomM

Nov. 8, 2014

LARAMIE, Wyo. -- The 18th-ranked Badgers started the season off strong after boasting four finalists at the Cowboy Open on Saturday. Senior Timmy McCall and junior Connor Medbery were the key to Wisconsin's success after both earned first-place finishes in their respective weight classes.

Fast Facts
• Timmy McCall and Connor Medbery both finished in first place. 
• Wisconsin sent four wrestlers to the finals in their respective weight classes. 
• UW hosts Maryland in the home opener on Nov. 14.

The event featured nearly 300 competitors and 14 teams. No team score was kept but champions were crowned at 10 weight classes in both Elite and Amateur brackets.

Medbery posted a 4-0 dual mark with only two wins decided by decision. Medbery won by technical fall (15-0) over Nebraska's Nyle Bartling before pinning Tanner Harms after 4:30 in the first-place match for the 285 lbs. weight class.

McCall finished first at 197 lbs., after an 8-2 decision over Nebraska's Micah Barnes. McCall won all four bouts by decision with the largest margin coming in the win against Barnes.

"Timmy (McCall) and Connor (Medbery) just wrestled. They wrestled the whole seven minutes," Wisconsin head coach Barry Davis said. "They took advantage of certain situations and if they do that every time it will be great."

Frank Cousins took second after winning by decision against three opponents before eventually falling to Nebraska's Robert Kokesh in a 9-3 decision in the finals.

All-American sophomore Isaac Jordan had an impressive showing at 165 lbs.,  defeating Nic Johnson and Chase Fuson in falls with both pins occurring under the two minute mark. Air Force's Jesse Stafford won by a 2-0 decision over Jordan in the final, forcing Jordan to take second place.

Sophomore TJ Ruschell quickly claimed his spot in third place after pinning Nick Adams in just fifty-four seconds. Ruschell won by major decision in his first two outings posting scores of 14-0 and 14-2, respectively.

Ricky Robertson took his first victories of the season in dramatic fashion with a win by major decision followed by a fall over Kolbjorn Skalestad.

A total of ten Badgers moved to the quarterfinal rounds of the tournament and eight advanced onto the semifinals.

The Badgers hit the mat again when they host Maryland in their home opener on Nov. 14 in the UW Field House.

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-wrestl/recaps/110814aac.html
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

jaguarwrestler

So why wasn't JT wrestling? Feel free to PM me

is Liegel banged up? Is he the starter at 157 if healthy?
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

leg turk

Quote from: jaguarwrestler on November 09, 2014, 11:52:01 AM

This is probably classified information, but hey, maybe Tuesdays with Barry will explain in a couple days.

jaguarwrestler

Quote from: leg turk on November 09, 2014, 01:47:22 PM
Quote from: jaguarwrestler on November 09, 2014, 11:52:01 AM

This is probably classified information, but hey, maybe Tuesdays with Barry will explain in a couple days.

That is why I asked for a PM if someone was scared to post it here.... I won't think something as simple as he is hurt or can't make weight would be such a big deal... I'm not sure I understand it if it is a weight deal unless he had a growth spurt at 22, as he declared last year he would be 133 the rest of his career.
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!