Need help getting program started in Southern Missouri

Started by Buzz1979, March 04, 2019, 05:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz1979

I was blessed to be a part of a wrestling team when I was in middle and high school in Wisconsin.  The tools and lessons that I learned have stuck with me throughout my life 20+ years later.  Our family moved to Southern Missouri 2 1/2 years ago and the school district that we live in now has a chance to get wrestling added to the high school.  I guess in order to do this the wrestling program has to raise money to prove it's viability in order to have a team next winter.  If anybody can spare a few bucks there is a match program set up with Dick's sporting goods that will match any donation.  Here is the link to the site where donations can be made.  Thanks a lot and hopefully we can make some of these kids understand how life changing being on a high school team is!
https://www.donorschoose.org/project/zizzer-wrestling-at-wphs-2019-2020/3947964/

I don't know how to make the link clickable but you can copy/paste the url above is so inclined.  Thanks again. 

Buzz1979

Thank you to Kevin Bird from Burlington for the donation.  It is greatly appreciated and put us that much closer to our goal!

bigoil

Any additional background? When and where did you wrestle in WI?

Is $5,000 really enough to buy a mat and uniforms, is the school supporting your efforts?

Buzz1979

I graduated in 98 from Blair-Taylor high school, and wrestled all 4 years for coach Laughery and in middle school for coach Bratina.  I also helped coach in Rice Lake with the wrestling club there for 5 years.  The amount of money that was needed is actually $20,000.  The rest has been raised by donations from local businesses and fundraising.  I am not coaching or anything here, just trying to help them raise money.  The school approved adding the program and have a coach.  They also have some mats for practice and have started a high school wrestling club that has surprisingly good numbers.  Any other questions let me know.  Thanks again.

Buzz1979

Just wanted to give an update.  We have been getting some donations online and it is helping.  We are getting closer to our goal!  (Which is good since we don't have a lot of time left.)  There is also stuff going on locally here that is helping also.  A local wrestling club is having a wrestling camp and is donating all of the proceeds to our cause.  Just figured I'd give everyone an update on what was happening down here.