NWCA Post-Event Awards at the NCAA Championships

Started by TomM, March 19, 2018, 10:47:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

NWCA Post-Event Awards at the NCAA Championships

NWCA Release
Iowa's Stoll, Penn State's Nickal, Sanderson Earn NWCA Post-Event Awards at the NCAA Championships

Manheim, Pennsylvania -- The National Wrestling Coaches Association (NWCA) presented its NCAA post-event awards Saturday evening based off performances at the 2018 NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships.

With his dramatic fall in the finals that sealed a Penn State team victory, Nittany Lion 184-pounder Bo Nickal was voted the tournament's most outstanding wrestler by member coaches of the NWCA.

Nickal scored a fall in the finals over former champion Myles Martin of Ohio State in 2:30.  Nickal advanced to the finals for the third time with a major decision in the first round followed by three decisions.  He joins Jeff Prescott (1994), David Taylor (2012, 2014) and Zain Retherford (2017) as the fourth Penn State wrestlers to earn this award.

Leading his team to their seventh team title in eight years, Penn State's Cael Sanderson was named the NWCA Tournament Coach of the Year.  This award is awarded to the coach is voted upon by the NWCA member coaches and is awarded to the coach based off tournament performance.

Sanderson's Nittany Lions scored a 141.5 points to edge second-place Ohio State by seven points.

The Nittany Lions entered the final session of the tournament trailing the Buckeyes by six points but on the strength of four individual champions, Sanderson's team was able to capture a third straight title.

Sanderson was previously named the NWCA National Coach of the Year in 2007 when he was the head coach at Iowa State and 2013 at Penn State.

Sam Stoll became the sixth wrestler in Iowa wrestling history to earn the Manuel Gorriaran Award to wrestler with the most falls in the least amount of time at the championships.  Stoll had three falls in a total time of 8:50.

The NWCA post event awards are given out each collegiate national tournament. These awards while based off of NCAA Performance are not affiliated with the NCAA.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

leg turk

In my opinion, Spencer Lee got hosed on not getting Outstanding Wrestler.  He completely dominated everyone in his way.  Sticking the Past National Champ in the semi's, and then man handling Suriano in the finals.  Oh well, I'm sure he'll get the award sooner or later at the NCAA's.

Dale Einerson

Quote from: leg turk on March 19, 2018, 01:10:30 PM
In my opinion, Spencer Lee got hosed on not getting Outstanding Wrestler.  He completely dominated everyone in his way.  Sticking the Past National Champ in the semi's, and then man handling Suriano in the finals.  Oh well, I'm sure he'll get the award sooner or later at the NCAA's.

I can personally name several times where the old "next year" doesn't come to fruition.  It is great that the choice is difficult, even controversial, as that is a sign of tremendous performances.

bigG

This is the time of year non wrestling folks will watch and say how impressive those guys are. They are.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

wrastle63

Nickal is very deserving of the award as well. He pinned an unbelievable wrestler to win the team title. Could it go to other people like Lee? Yea, but it is a fine choice.