Burroughs, Manning, and RTCs

Started by thedecider, May 22, 2017, 12:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barou

Quote from: bigG on June 21, 2017, 07:22:53 PM
I'd bet an easy transition to Askren HC wouldn't need to cost megabucks and would open up opportunity to some young and hungry coaches. I don't hate Mitch nor BD. Just think BD's gotten a little old and it will soon be time for a change. If the BRTC is going to flourish, I see Ben making that bridge from college to the next level much more attractive in Badgerland. I understand that they are very separate entities. But I think Ben would bring them closer together and make a more seamless transition for Badger wrestlers.

Couldn't agree more.  Askren would greatly improve the Badgers program as well as the BRTC.
JHI Mafia

leg turk

Quote from: Barou on June 22, 2017, 07:34:17 AM
I'd bet an easy transition to Askren HC wouldn't need to cost megabucks and would open up opportunity to some young and hungry coaches. I don't hate Mitch nor BD. Just think BD's gotten a little old and it will soon be time for a change. If the BRTC is going to flourish, I see Ben making that bridge from college to the next level much more attractive in Badgerland. I understand that they are very separate entities. But I think Ben would bring them closer together and make a more seamless transition for Badger wrestlers.

Couldn't agree more.  Askren would greatly improve the Badgers program as well as the BRTC.

X10000

I bet Boosters would be showing up out of Nowhere if this were to happen.

Barou

Quote from: leg turk on June 22, 2017, 08:00:31 AM
Quote from: Barou on June 22, 2017, 07:34:17 AM

X10000

I bet Boosters would be showing up out of Nowhere if this were to happen.

I'd be one of them!
JHI Mafia

bigG

Me too. Ben sells himself and the sport very well. He's also legit. Yes, he brands himself. I believe he'd do that to Badger wrestling, college and FS/Greco. If nothing else, we'd have an identity. Not just a mom and pop storefront.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

npope

Quote from: bigG on June 22, 2017, 04:57:02 PM
Me too. Ben sells himself and the sport very well. He's also legit. Yes, he brands himself. I believe he'd do that to Badger wrestling, college and FS/Greco. If nothing else, we'd have an identity. Not just a mom and pop storefront.

While I am not entirely sure Ben is ready to run a major wrestling program (although he might be, but I just haven't yet seen a "track record" of his experience on that level), I definitely think that would be change direction, "brand" WI wrestling, influence freestyle and greco development within the state, etc. Maybe worth the roll of the dice (and it is a gamble), I'm just not sure. If you are among those that think the current Badger program toils in the nether regions of the collegiate wrestling wastelands, then I can see how appealing Askren might seem. If you aren't of that perspective, he represents a riskier direction.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

billymurphy

I disagree with it being anything more than a mild risk to change coaches as we have been stuck in mediocracy for more than 20 years.
We are generally considered the 8th best team in the conference and it would take
an exceptionally good coach to move the Badgers into the first tier teams or and exceptionally
bad coach to drop us into the 3rd tier.
1st tier teams:
Penn State, Iowa, Ohio State, Nebraska, Michigan, Minnesota and Illinois(bottom of the 1st tier)

2nd tier teams.
Wisconsin and Rutgers

3rd tier teams-
Michigan State, Purdue, Indiana, Maryland and Northwestern

And Ben has helped national champion wrestlers at both colleges he was
helping coach at: Missouri(Mark Ellis-HWT) and Arizona State(Robles and Bubba Jenkins).

leg turk

I see Purdue moving above us in the next few years.  They are really improving.

lizard king

I really feel like the Badgers made a positive move last year, but if that doesn't happen big this year........

Barou

Quote from: leg turk on June 23, 2017, 09:22:57 AM

Michigan State is improving too.  Could surpass WI in 2-3 years.
JHI Mafia

Wrestling Thug

Quote from: Barou on June 23, 2017, 11:01:47 AM

I think Michigan State will be in that 2nd tier this year!

Wrestling Thug

Since Perry left I think that Illinois will be 2nd tier or even go down to the 3rd tier. Everyone is leaving! Although Poeta join the staff, so there is some hope for them!

dad 2 5

Quote from: Wrestling Thug on June 24, 2017, 12:48:01 PM
Quote from: Barou on June 23, 2017, 11:01:47 AM

I think Michigan State will be in that 2nd tier this year!

Interesting:
according to FLO
WI:19;18;NR;20;NR;NR
MSU:NR;14;NR;NR;NR;NR
Prd: 13;6;NR;NR;NR;NR
I see MSU improving but I can't see them climbing in to the #2 tier if we stick with those teams and tiers formula. Purdue on the other hand could make a big jump.

bigG

Quote from: npope on June 23, 2017, 05:24:44 AM
Quote from: bigG on June 22, 2017, 04:57:02 PM

While I am not entirely sure Ben is ready to run a major wrestling program (although he might be, but I just haven't yet seen a "track record" of his experience on that level), I definitely think that would be change direction, "brand" WI wrestling, influence freestyle and greco development within the state, etc. Maybe worth the roll of the dice (and it is a gamble), I'm just not sure. If you are among those that think the current Badger program toils in the nether regions of the collegiate wrestling wastelands, then I can see how appealing Askren might seem. If you aren't of that perspective, he represents a riskier direction.

I feel ya, here. But, I also think this an opportune time to roll those dice. Just IMO. We have a home-grown talent who has dedicated some serious time to HS development in WI while maintaining a professional fighting career. A Hodge winner (no argument the year he won it) and an Olympian. He made no excuses regarding his loss to the Cuban and just think differently. Always has. I just think the window to attempt to make a WI mark is open and we should consider the possibility of Ben leading the charge. Still, I think a slow transition would be best; so Ben can get some college coaching legs. I feel his coach at Mizz is the best there is. He takes mediocrally ranked dudes and turns them into studs. I could see Ben doing just that. Taking our talent and bringing it to the national and world level.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.