Sportsmanship

Started by kneeslide, March 29, 2017, 11:15:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kneeslide

I would like to bring to everyone's attention about a great show of sportsmanship that took place at the WWF youth folkstyle tournament held in Madison on March 24 and 25.  The act took place in the championship match at 270 pounds in the 2002-2003 age group.  Because this was at the end of the tournament 99% of the fans in attendance had left the building. 

The match pitted Nicholas Kohn of Shawano vs Kristian Schlicht of Monona Grove/Mcfarland.  The match was in 2nd period with Nicholas Kohn winning 7-0 at the time.  Kristian Schlicht was riding him tough midway through the 2nd period.  During the process of a spiral ride Nicholas Kohn broke his arm.  Nichols Kohn would be unable to continue and the match would be awarded to Kristian Schlicht via Injury Default.  In an amazing act of sportsmanship, Kristian Schlicht decided that he did not want to win the match in this manner therefore gave the match to Nicholas Kohn via forfeit.  I know at times we can dwell on the negatives of wrestling and youth sports but this act of sportsmanship warms my heart and brings tears to my eyes.  I am proud to be a part of such a great sport called "Wrestling". 

Kristian you have such a bright future not only as a wrestler but as a great leader and adult in life.  Congratulations to both wrestlers as you should be proud of your accomplishments for wrestling but also for the life lesson that you taught so many people that read this forum.  I just wish more people would have been there first hand to witness this act of sportsmanship. 

Good Luck to both of you

wrastle63

Wow! What an awesome act. That young man has a bright future! Will cheer for him to get his state title in high school.

bigoil

I was there, though unaware that was what actually happened.

Kudos to Kristian, parents, and coaches.

bigG

Cool story. Thanks for posting. BY golly, I can't get over all the great young men that rarely make the news compared to the losers stuck in their childhoods that do make the news. This is good news.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ramjet

Good stuff that young man is mature beyond his years......

ElectricGuy

I've know Kristian for many years, just a great young man! I knew he had gotten 2nd @ State, but didn't know the back story.  Knowing him, it doesn't surprise me to hear he had done that, one of the kindest most respectful young men out there.

He's one to watch in both wrestling and football in the coming years and wont be surprised for him to get some offers at the next level.

Thank you for sharing.
We live in the era of smart phones and stupid people.

Dale Einerson

Doesn't it kind of seem the "watch for him in wrestling and football" comments seem kind of pale in comparison to what the gesture says about the young man in total?

Way to go, fan for life, fan for bigger things than wrestling.

littleguy301

I will follow this young lad during high school.

sounds like a kid that wants to work for what he gets. I bet he thinks if that arm didnt break he would have won. Man I love those type of kids and to have the mind to say I didnt win. This young lad is certainly ahead of his years!!!!!!

Mr Schlicht,,,,,man I cannt wait to see you on the big stage in high school!!!!!!!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet