Uniforms Really in the future.

Started by nutman, April 07, 2016, 03:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Say-Say

Quote from: Ghetto on April 09, 2016, 11:50:28 PM

Wrong. For some kids, it is. We can't afford to turn any kid away.

Disagree. 

I do think it's worth exploring ways to promote wrestling.  I just don't think it's every person's sport.  It isn't and can't be, and it has everything to do with the sport itself and nothing to do with the uniform.   

Ghetto

Quote from: Say-Say on April 10, 2016, 10:44:30 AM
Quote from: Ghetto on April 09, 2016, 11:50:28 PM

Wrong. For some kids, it is. We can't afford to turn any kid away.

Disagree. 

I do think it's worth exploring ways to promote wrestling.  I just don't think it's every person's sport.  It isn't and can't be, and it has everything to do with the sport itself and nothing to do with the uniform.   

We will just have to disagree. To say that it has nothing to do with the singlet is baffling to me.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

ChargerDad

Quote from: getyourpoints on April 10, 2016, 12:01:55 PM
That's complete bull crap, we have 5 kids in our youth program that wear shorts and t-shirt at every tournament. None of them are very confident in themselves or their body's at this point, if we forced them to wear a singlet I don't think they would continue.
I agree with the point that it's a hard sport and not for everybody so why make it harder, if kids don't want to wear a singlet we should not make them.

You have got to quit being so rational and reasonable ;-)   Wrestling is not for everybody, but why should the singlet have anything to do with that??

Talk about how tough wrestling is, that's great, but instead of talking about how tough it is in an exclusionary manner, why not try and find ways to encourage others to join the sport and toughen them up too!  Face it, many, if not most, wrestlers aren't born though, they are made tough in the wrestling room, so why not try to do what we can to get more kids in the room, rather than write them off because they won't wear a singlet??

GradeTough

I agree with ChargerDad. With the right coaching, parental encouragement, discipline and consistency kids can learn to be tough. Toughness is an attitude and can be developed. I think the alternative uniform idea is great. Provides flexibility in the gear worn and is modernized for today's youth. Even with the alternative uniform, wrestling is not an attractive sport for everyone. Not every kid signs up for a possible butt whooping. For those that do, the rewards are bountiful. Rewards that are not necessarily on the win column.

Say-Say

I thought we were talking about high school?
I guess we have to agree to disagree.  My kids love the singlet. 

Handles II

I guess you aren't aware that the WIAA doesn't simply change policies because the WWCA recommends it off of a coaching survey. However, it sounds like the coaches in the state are fairly unified in what adjustments to the sport could be beneficial. Certainly some things may have been left off the survey as well.