Middle school wrestling: WIAA good or bad?

Started by Paul Ellenbecker, January 28, 2016, 07:38:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Ellenbecker

Hello all, I know this was discussed in the past but what advantages does the WIAA provide for middle school wrestling? We are looking at dropping WIAA at the middle school level because we feel our community can decide what is best for our student-athletes. I'd like to hear back from some people about what they view as pro and cons. Thanks for any input.

ramjet

I see no advantage at the middle school level.

Most all schools and coaches realise tha Middle school wrestling is the building block to high school wrestling. Why be bogged down by beauracracy?

Jimmy

catzfan

the only issue that needs to be considered is that you are WIAA for all MS sports or none....can't pick and choose. very few reasons across the board to be WIAA but there are a few that, at times, may benefit the school/kids/programs....

FinalWord

" I never met a man I didn't like except Will Rodgers."

bulldog

IMO...WIAA is completely worthless at the MS level. (At times I feel the same way at the HS level). It constrains kids who want to get in extra matches "in season". You can only go to the meets scheduled by your school. Nothing outside of that. So if your MS is off for a weekend you cannot go to a Youth Tournament. WIAA does nothing for MS...WWF runs the regional and state series so other than setting up constrains what advantage does it offer?

Also IMO...either all MS should be WIAA or none. But again, WIAA feels they cannot enforce a policy that all MS are part of the WIAA. I think they could but again, I would rather see them completly out of MS involvement...period

Unless someone knows of a real advantage for a MS being part of the WIAA...I would be interested in hearing the advantages. I have not seen one reason why a MS is part of the WIAA. Anyone have any reasons why a MS would be part of the WIAA?

MNbadger

I MN the MSHSL has nothing to do with MS sports.  The only thing is if you wrestle matches in MS and then go to the high school, those matches count toward your 36.  So, a MS wrestlers can do their MS season and other tournaments if they wish. 
Of course they can't if they are a varsity wrestlers in 7th or 8th grade, they are then effectively "high school wrestlers"
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

Handles II

MNBadger, their matches outside of school would also count if they were JV in MN.  36 match limit for anyone JV or varsity. Now in reality that would only matter if they were going to wrestle as a "member" (active or a back-up) of the team for either team or individual sections/state.

So I agree, the WIAA isn't a benefit, but just a hindrance for Middle School wrestling (and maybe MS sports in general?).