Why kids choose to wrestle

Started by Oldtimer, October 06, 2015, 09:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldtimer

So much focus on the negative on why kids are quitting.  How about why kids choose to wrestle and build on that?
Beware of the northern sleeper

Oldtimer

Quote from: futurerichguy on October 06, 2015, 11:35:10 AM
Because their dad wrestled  ;D

I'll bet that's why a lot of kids got started

foose4

Mine started because his friend said it was fun in Kindergarten.....it's turned out ok so far.  ;)

As a dad that played basketball it did surprise me but I am glad he chose to go this direction.
"Winning is not everything, but the effort to win is."
Zig Ziglar

harley

Because all of his friends were doing it and almost all of them stuck it out all the wat through High School!! He has told me more then once it wan't fun at all at times 

bulldog

Because a coach asked me if I wanted to give it a try.

My favorite story...I was coaching youth wrestling program after school and a kindergartner was sitting in the hall by the doors. I asked him what was up. I did not know the boy just happened to decide to talk to him while I was waiting for other kids to show up for practice. He told me he was waiting for his mom to pick him up. I asked him if he played any other sports. He said baseball and football. I asked him if he wanted to give wrestling a try. He said "sure" and came into the room with me. I could see the door well enough that I figured if his mom came in I could wave her in.

She did see where he was but kind of hung outside the doors during practice.  The kid did not "engage" the entire practice. Just wanted to hang on the mat and stay close to me. You could tell he was a bit unsure about the whole thing. He came back and did not want to wrestle...just wanted to hang out on the mat. His parents told me they were not a wrestling family but he was having fun so they kept bringing him back. By the end  of the season we got him to try our club tournament. He got his butt kicked in 2 matches but won the third one and was hooked.

It is now 6 or 7 years later...that kid is a monster on the mat. He loves the sport and if he is not a 4x state qualifier in HS I will be shocked. I can't take credit for the kid's talent, all I did was let him roll around on a mat for an hour twice a week. But I am proud as heck that kid has put the work in to this sport he has.

So I guess it was giving kids an opportunity to try the sport before we lose them to something else.

Oldtimer

I started because we had it in class in 4th grade and I thought it was fun.  Didn't know how to start until 6th grade though.  One of my friends was winning tourney charts but I didn't know or ask how to participate in those.

Stayed with it because I thought it was fun.

imnofish

I started because my dad was coaching high school and I remembered watching him wrestle in college.  So, I asked to go to most of the meets and practices when I was in grade school.  There was no youth program then.  I watched the instruction and could see the carry over to competition.  I really looked up to the older wrestlers and they treated me like a little brother.  In 5th grade, I asked my dad if I could start practicing with the team.  I was a lot smaller than the 95 pounders, but I still learned a lot getting my butt kicked by them.  I was hooked, after that.  I can't say that Dad gave me any pressure to wrestle, but he definitely supported my efforts.  My son got interested in the sport when he was still in diapers.  I took him to watch high school wrestling and it really excited him.  Before long he was wrestling stuffed animals, basketballs, and any other little kid he could get a hold of.  After that, it was just a matter of keeping it fun for him, so he didn't get burned out.  He stayed with it through high school and would have wrestled in college, if it wasn't for injuries suffered in a car crash right after graduation.  His boys are 4 and 6; both are showing an interest in the sport and the oldest one practiced with the youth program last year.  Their dad's keeping it pretty low key right now.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

wrestlingdad

My oldest son brought home a wrestling flyer in kindergarten. The wife and I did not come from wrestling families, but we always encouraged our boys to try new things as you never know what you enjoy most until you experience it. The first couple years were harder on mom than anyone, but now she is into the matches as much as my boys and I. He is now a junior in high school and is focused on getting an opportunity to wrestle in college. He has told me that the biggest reason he chooses to wrestle is because it is the hardest thing he as ever done. His younger brother wrestles as well. I would guess he chooses to wrestle because his older brother does.

Kodonnelllaw

My son came home and said his friend was doing it.

Went to practice and parochial school tourneys and wrestled in the no tears events. Lost his first 9 times and wanted to quit. Family rule that you complete the season and if you do not want to do it again, fine. Cannot quit in middle of a season. 10th Match he finally "won" and asked why that match was so much shorter than all of the others. I explained that they were all the same but that's the difference between winning and losing. He said, "I'm just going to win from now on..." Didn't lose another match for the rest of the season and all of the next season. :)

Loves the sport and has had a lot of success in it (as it relates to youth wrestling).

As a parent who did not wrestle, we are lucky to have found such a great sport and the wrestling community.

imnofish

Quote from: Kodonnelllaw on October 12, 2015, 10:32:27 AM
My son came home and said his friend was doing it.

Went to practice and parochial school tourneys and wrestled in the no tears events. Lost his first 9 times and wanted to quit. Family rule that you complete the season and if you do not want to do it again, fine. Cannot quit in middle of a season. 10th Match he finally "won" and asked why that match was so much shorter than all of the others. I explained that they were all the same but that's the difference between winning and losing. He said, "I'm just going to win from now on..." Didn't lose another match for the rest of the season and all of the next season. :)

Loves the sport and has had a lot of success in it (as it relates to youth wrestling).

As a parent who did not wrestle, we are lucky to have found such a great sport and the wrestling community.

Kudos to you on the "finish the season" rule!  I grew up with the rule and so did my kids.  Learning to work through adversity and follow through on commitments are huge character builders. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

ramjet

This is what I was trying to say you bond wrestling one family or mentor at a time and soon you will have community involvement and the sport grows. (sorry Big OIL is not getting that) Thanks for sharing your positive experience and influence.

imnofish

Quote from: ramjet on October 12, 2015, 07:35:50 PM
This is what I was trying to say you bond wrestling one family or mentor at a time and soon you will have community involvement and the sport grows. (sorry Big OIL is not getting that) Thanks for sharing your positive experience and influence.

I agree that community involvement can be built in this fashion.  One thing that is a big challenge in some places is that many former wrestlers move away from their high school community and perpetuate the sport's growth elsewhere.  Having good employment opportunities that encourage residents to stay put is especially beneficial for small districts.  With so many family farms and other employment lost over the past few decades, our phone book looks a lot different every couple of years.

bkraus

I have the same house rule when it comes to finishing the season.  I am a firm believer in allowing my boys to try anything they ask in terms of clubs or sports.  Let them spread their wings.  I will also obviously introduce things to them, but if they choose to not do it after one season I will not pry.  My first grader is starting club wrestling and little league this year.  Four year old wants to wrestle too, but I don't want to start him until first grade as well.  Just personal choice.
Strive for Perfection

doublegotcha

I was on the fence between wrestling and basketball.  Went out for wrestling because of my friends.  Best decision of my life.  For my 2 boys, I don't think it was ever in doubt.  As I was a wrestling coach, they were always around the wrestling room.  It was a huge part of our family.  Will be very different this year as my youngest has graduated and I have stepped down from coaching.