Rivalries! When I was in High School, there was nothing better!

Started by Pheasant 1984, December 18, 2014, 02:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pheasant 1984

Rivalries are so fun to be apart of! Boy we got one tonight! Hudson at Menomonie! Should be a barn burner. You have so many what if when it comes to big matches like who is ill, who might not make weight, will the coaches move guys around to get better match ups, and will the crowds pump up their athletes? Can't wait til tonight! Does everyone else get this fired up or am I just weird?
You are only as good as you practice! Practice like a champion to become a champion!

DarkKnight

bigG

IMHO, there is nothing better in our sport than when the kid who busts tail but never sees the spotlight becomes the hero of one of these. It's like an earned rags to riches story.

I hope you get treated to one of those gems.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Pheasant 1984

I grew up in South Dakota and when we wrestled Mobridge, boy was our room focused and pumped. Wrestlers kicking each other in the butt and helping each other up after falling down with exhaustion. Great bonds were formed between teammates and lifelong friends were made! I'm 49 and still feel like a kid! :) hope our kids are half as pumped as I am!!!
You are only as good as you practice! Practice like a champion to become a champion!

paintortureagony

Reedsville vs Wrightstown  It isn't just a battle between schools, but father vs son and brother vs brother.  Wrightstown's coachs are Bill Verbeten (father) and Matt Verbeten(Brother).  Reedsville coachs are Donny Verbeten (Brother) and Keith Verbeten (Brother).  This wasn't a rivalry 8 years ago but now it is a great one.  And the teams battle for the Work Horse Trophy.  A trophy someone made in shop class, but it means a lot for the wrestlers.  Wrightstown owns the rivalry but Reedsville is starting to make a name for themselves.  Not sure what they'll do to keep this going, due to the conference changes coming next year.

OldAbes72

Pheasant 1984

Our biggest rival is Hudson and the coolest thing is I've met some pretty nice parents from there. We always bs when we see each other!

thequad

Back in the 60's Coleman and Luxemburg were a very big rivalry. Often ranked 1 and 2 in the state. But Coleman winning almost every time.
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.