Dillan Johnson

Started by BadgerOne, March 22, 2023, 08:22:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

littleguy301

Henry Jordan old 60's packer I think was.

Carlton Hassreg and stephan Neal were different. NCAA wrestling champs and all pro and HOF member so I guess they cover both but at different times ;D
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Ledger

Quote from: littleguy301 on January 09, 2024, 07:05:28 PMHenry Jordan old 60's packer I think was.

Carlton Hassreg and stephan Neal were different. NCAA wrestling champs and all pro and HOF member so I guess they cover both but at different times ;D
Jordan was also one of the founding members of Summerfest.  Just found that out.

vsmf2010

Quote from: Ledger on January 09, 2024, 08:22:47 PM
Quote from: littleguy301 on January 09, 2024, 07:05:28 PMHenry Jordan old 60's packer I think was.

Jordan was also one of the founding members of Summerfest.  Just found that out.

That is very cool. Thanks for sharing

Houndhead

Didn't Tim Krumrie play football and wrestle for the Badgers in the late 70's?

charteroak1

Yes, Tim did.  Was nice enough to donate a sauna for the Badger room quite some time ago if I recall.

npope

Quote from: Houndhead on January 10, 2024, 06:12:16 AMDidn't Tim Krumrie play football and wrestle for the Badgers in the late 70's?

He did for one year, and then went with football.

Also, way back in 1973, WI state champ Mike Jenkins (from River Falls) attended UW on a wrestling scholarship but also played nose tackle for the football team. Similarly, Ed Vatch (from Illinois) attended UW on a football scholarship but also wrestled (kinda the reverse situation of Jenkins). They were also roommates. After one year of doing both sports, they decided to focus on a single sport and "exchanged" scholarships so that Jenkins stayed with football and Vatch wrestled. By their senior years, Vatch was the Badger wrestling team captain and Jenkins was a three-year starter at nose tackle.

As an aside, while Jenkins won state in 1972 at heavyweight, he spent at least half of his matches at 185 - so he wasn't a big guy (also went to state in the shot put and high hurdles in track). I am under the impression that he was playing nose guard at about 220-230 pounds (someone correct me on that point if I am off on the estimate). Of course, that was a different time, but that was still small for that position.

Regarding Krumrie, in my first year of coaching (1979) we went to Mondovi (Krumie's hometown) for a dual and I hadn't previously met Mondovi's coaching staff. So, when I walk into the coaches' office one of the gentlemen was sitting there so I went over and introduced myself to him, shook his hand and everything. He told me that his name and I thought, "My god, our plump little heavyweight is going to die tonight". Krumrie was indeed a "man-child"; looked like he was 31 when in fact, he was only a teenager.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

suple