As it stands..How can Bono remain?

Started by wrestler_73, May 08, 2023, 10:30:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Army Ant

Quote from: novice wrestler on May 22, 2023, 09:10:55 AM
Quote from: benaskren on May 16, 2023, 12:36:54 PMNovice, you are a moron!

Here are some stats for you
NCAA Points
2021- AWA- 32.5.  Badgers 18.5
2022- AWA- 42.    Badgers 38.5
2023- AWA- 46.    Badgers 29

Now this was all done without the help of scholarships or recruiting.  We have 3 AAs from within a 20 minute radius of each other(Glendale, West Allis, Merton) who started with use before 6th grade. Not like Blair or Sem or other HSs that recruit from all over america, but from a very small geographic region in southern Wisconsin.  The fact that you find this to be unimpressive just shows how deep your bias goes. 

As I have previously stated the AWA Points number will likely only grow over the next few years as we have built a system that is producing a large amount of really high caliber D1 recruits.  In fact we just won the U20 Freestyle division in Vegas last month.

I know there will always be haters, but I think it is time some of you stubborn old bastards jump aboard this train.  It has left the station, is picking up speed and either you can jump on and enjoy the ride or just continue to cry as we keep on crushing it over the next few decades by helping thousands of kids from Wisconsin be the best they can be.

Thanks for the compliment and your response Ben, you helped prove the point I am trying to make.  Your reply (and a few of your cohorts) to a person with a different viewpoint is to call them names and haters. The truth is that I have nothing against you, I don't even know you.  I also have no ill will against AWA.  I actually love to watch HS guys who also attend your club wrestle!       

There are a large percentage of UW supporters who would just like you to dial down the rhetoric that you have been displaying over the last 10 years. Often things starts with showing just a little more humility, a modest or low view of one's own importance.  Liked minded people can understand the importance of being positive especially in the time of adversity. I think we all can agree on that a positive relationship with UW and AWA would really help wrestling in the state of Wisconsin. This is the end game, nothing more

I think the onus is on the UW coaching staff to meet any clubs more than half way. The clubs (e.g. AWA) can help UW-Madison a lot more than vice-versa. I don't know what is going on behind the scenes but if Bono isn't reaching out to these folks than they deserve whatever they get.

wrestler_73

Is Barnett leaving also?  if so, what the Heck is going on out there!

vsmf2010

Quote from: wrestler_73 on May 23, 2023, 03:16:34 PMIs Barnett leaving also?  if so, what the Heck is going on out there!

That would be strange. He was just in the corner with Reader coaching Gross at the World Team Trials Challenge Tournament.

bigoil

Quote from: vsmf2010 on May 23, 2023, 03:58:20 PM
Quote from: wrestler_73 on May 23, 2023, 03:16:34 PMIs Barnett leaving also?  if so, what the Heck is going on out there!

That would be strange. He was just in the corner with Reader coaching Gross at the World Team Trials Challenge Tournament.
Going to be strange when Eric hosts the coaches in Hortonville on June 8th for a meet and greet.

bigoil

Quote from: walden_hiker on May 23, 2023, 06:43:22 PM

This off-season keeps getting worse. I wonder where he ends up.
Where have you seen him leaving? An anonymous poster asking if he is leaving, vs social media posts from he and the coaches promoting his camps and meet and greet.

Ghetto

Looking at his Twitter, it seems unlikely. He just tweeted he's open for private lessons in the Madison area.

Cue Leo DiCaprio...
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

No One Cares

Yeah, he must've entered the portal under a fake name before the 5/7 drop dead date.  ::) 

littleguy301

Quote from: bigoil on May 23, 2023, 06:34:21 PM
Quote from: vsmf2010 on May 23, 2023, 03:58:20 PM

Going to be strange when Eric hosts the coaches in Hortonville on June 8th for a meet and greet.

Very nice! hope it is a good meet and greet!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Vir Fortis

Quote from: wrestler_73 on May 17, 2023, 08:23:23 AMWow...the Narcissism (excessive interest in or admiration of oneself) of BA is ridiculous.  In Vegas all of those kids represented not only AWA, but their hometown programs, and more important Wisconsin.  No matter who the Badger coach is...it will not work between AWA and the Badgers unless an Askren is in charge. 

I wonder if that's why John Messenbrink doesn't seem to be a part of AWA any longer?

I think you pretty much nailed it here though. It's either got to be Askren, or someone who gets handpicked by Askren.

I understand the fandom. He made himself into an...extraordinary Wrestler despite limited athleticism. He did that all through creativity and an incredible work ethic. He even turned that into a...pretty successful UFC run.

But a B1G program isn't going to cater to ONE individual when determining who to hire because they run 6 sites that attract most of the high end in-state talent.

littleguy301

I can bet that Ben and Max talk to alot of head coaches to the point I bet alot of AD knows who Ben and Max are.

I would think if the Badgers are looking for a head coach I would think any school and the committee that is formed probably would have Ben or Max involved in a coach search.

Grapl

Quote from: Vir Fortis on May 31, 2023, 04:21:56 PM
Quote from: wrestler_73 on May 17, 2023, 08:23:23 AMWow...the Narcissism (excessive interest in or admiration of oneself) of BA is ridiculous.  In Vegas all of those kids represented not only AWA, but their hometown programs, and more important Wisconsin.  No matter who the Badger coach is...it will not work between AWA and the Badgers unless an Askren is in charge. 

I wonder if that's why John Messenbrink doesn't seem to be a part of AWA any longer?

Please elaborate?

harley25

I think you pretty much nailed it here though. It's either got to be Askren, or someone who gets handpicked by Askren.

I understand the fandom. He made himself into an...extraordinary Wrestler despite limited athleticism. He did that all through creativity and an incredible work ethic. He even turned that into a...pretty successful UFC run.

But a B1G program isn't going to cater to ONE individual when determining who to hire because they run 6 sites that attract most of the high end in-state talent.

Limited athleticism? Are you kidding me? I dont care who you are you are not a 4x NCAA finalist 2X NCAA Champion a NCAA Division One wrestler with a 153-8 record with limited athleticisim!!

littleguy301

Quote from: harley25 on June 01, 2023, 08:57:19 AM

Limited athleticism? Are you kidding me? I dont care who you are you are not a 4x NCAA finalist 2X NCAA Champion a NCAA Division One wrestler with a 153-8 record with limited athleticisim!!

I believe bwn was a disc golf champ also while in college. Double champ!

Ghetto

Quote from: harley25 on June 01, 2023, 08:57:19 AM

I think Ben himself would admit that his athleticism is not elite. His wrestling ability was, and he was/is smart enough to keep pushing the envelope of technique. Those things are what got him to the top of the mountain.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

MRL_84