As it stands..How can Bono remain?

Started by wrestler_73, May 08, 2023, 10:30:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrestling for fun

Quote from: benaskren on May 16, 2023, 12:36:54 PMNovice, you are a moron!

Here are some stats for you
NCAA Points
2021- AWA- 32.5.  Badgers 18.5
2022- AWA- 42.    Badgers 38.5
2023- AWA- 46.    Badgers 29

Now this was all done without the help of scholarships or recruiting.  We have 3 AAs from within a 20 minute radius of each other(Glendale, West Allis, Merton) who started with use before 6th grade. Not like Blair or Sem or other HSs that recruit from all over america, but from a very small geographic region in southern Wisconsin.  The fact that you find this to be unimpressive just shows how deep your bias goes. 

As I have previously stated the AWA Points number will likely only grow over the next few years as we have built a system that is producing a large amount of really high caliber D1 recruits.  In fact we just won the U20 Freestyle division in Vegas last month.

I know there will always be haters, but I think it is time some of you stubborn old bastards jump aboard this train.  It has left the station, is picking up speed and either you can jump on and enjoy the ride or just continue to cry as we keep on crushing it over the next few decades by helping thousands of kids from Wisconsin be the best they can be.

Count this stubborn ol' bastard on board. Wasn't always the case. I remember parents not wanting to send kids to Askren camps because they thought it would be a lot of goofing around.

With one of the main bitches about Bono being he can not recruit elite instate talent, and Novice says AWA would help very little, where or which clubs should Bono draw the instate talent?  By comparing the number of AAs in  a club to a big ten school is kind of dumb.  What are the stats comparing other Wisconsin clubs to AWA? 

Numbers

So Wisconsin high school 2024 grads at the top of the recruiting list have made verbal commitments.  Who are the next tier 2024 recruits that have yet to verbal?

wrestler_73

Wow...the Narcissism (excessive interest in or admiration of oneself) of BA is ridiculous.  In Vegas all of those kids represented not only AWA, but their hometown programs, and more important Wisconsin.  No matter who the Badger coach is...it will not work between AWA and the Badgers unless an Askren is in charge. 

littleguy301

Crass trained has done pretty good. Joles, Buchanan and sonnets going to Wyoming. Plus a few I just cannt think of or forgot.

There is more that just AWA in wisconsin. Crass trained, victory, pinnacle and others around the state that are doing well turning out college level talent.

To place blame solely that AWA isn't working with the badgers, doesn't look like other clubs are putting kids in the badger room hand over fist!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

WrestlerSB80

Littleguy? I agree 100% with what you said, I don't hear any complaints about the Crass kids not going to Wisconsin. Those kids are hammers.

Army Ant

Quote from: Army Ant on May 16, 2023, 01:19:34 PMBen I noticed WI overall didn't seem to do nearly as well in u17 and u15, unless I'm mistaken. Did u just not send as many at those younger levels?

Bump

leg turk

Quote from: WrestlerSB80 on May 17, 2023, 12:29:41 PMLittleguy? I agree 100% with what you said, I don't hear any complaints about the Crass kids not going to Wisconsin. Those kids are hammers.

Why don't the Crass kids go to Wisconsin?

mkm13

Getting in state talent is a bit overrated in wrestling.  Look at all the top teams, they recruit nationally.  You only have 9.9 scholarships and you need a big 10 level wrestler at 10 weights.  As a result, teams focus on weights they have needs at, which results in more in state guys going elsewhere at all colleges.

The problem is not Bono can't recruit WI kids.  The problem is Bono can't any top kids.

wrestlemania

"In fact we just won the U20 Freestyle division in Vegas last month."

Are we supposed to be impressed by this? In 20 years, if one asks one could easily find out who won the NCAA championship or a high school team title. In 20 years will we know or remember who won the U20 Freestyle Division in Vegas?

I know there will always be haters, but I think it is time some of you stubborn old bastards jump aboard this train.  It has left the station, is picking up speed and either you can jump on and enjoy the ride or just continue to cry as we keep on crushing it over the next few decades by helping thousands of kids from Wisconsin be the best they can be.

I nominate myself as President of the "Stubborn Old Bastards" Club and if you PM me to join the club I'll find you an official T-shirt to wear ;)

Alright, the train has left the station. So where is it going? What exactly are you crushing? Is their a national championship for club programs? I've must have missed it. Is our erstwhile "Bag of Milk" just touting success for AWA members in NCAA competition? Bully for them but why would this matter or what's the point of comparing it to UW?

MNbadger

Ben Askren is really good at what he does and his students benefit greatly from what he does.
 Having stated this, Wrestlemania makes good point saying "Bully for them but why would this matter or what's the point of comparing it to UW?".
The stats comparing UW points to AWA points are indicative of little.  There are colleges that compare favorably and unfavorably using the same measuring stick.
There are other states where a club in that state compares favorably or unfavorably with that state's DI college or colleges. 
States with varying numbers of private clubs and varying numbers of DI programs makes this kind of comparison moot. 
In addition, private clubs are developing youth/high school wrestlers.  DI programs are much less developmental, they are 99% about recruiting.

I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

benaskren

Army Ant- We had our 2nd best showing ever and would have been close to best ever if Kellen had not been injured 1st round.

Harley- You arent gonna have to wait very long.
Ben Askren
Founder and Owner at AWA
askrenbros@gmail.com
www.awawisconsin.com

harley25

Quote from: benaskren on May 17, 2023, 10:31:23 PMArmy Ant- We had our 2nd best showing ever and would have been close to best ever if Kellen had not been injured 1st round.

That is AWESOME, I hope we have the same definition of NORTh!!

wrestlemania

Bono's recruiting problems aren't just with the AWA apparently, they're with clubs all over the state. As I've said before, the high school coach and the high school program is becoming an anachorism when it comes to recruiting nowadays and isn't just in wrestling. The same is true in a lot of different HS sports as college coaches recruit athletes based on what they do in AAU or JO or in clubs because it's where the elite players gather. I mean, parents pay a lot of money to have their kids compete in these organization for the elite. With high school, for the want of some small fees, you basically get everyone else, so college coaches look elsewhere to judge. I wonder if Bono has not made this adjustment yet and as a result, has needlessly alienated a lot people in state who could help him.

Ponder this too: If I was a coach of top college program, I would make sure my donors kick-in some of their money to these clubs to fund their activities. For the coach it's a way of maintaining access to the top performers and for the donors it's a way to help out the program and get a tax write-off to boot.

Healthy and happy

Quote from: benaskren on May 16, 2023, 12:36:54 PMNovice, you are a moron!

Here are some stats for you
NCAA Points
2021- AWA- 32.5.  Badgers 18.5
2022- AWA- 42.    Badgers 38.5
2023- AWA- 46.    Badgers 29

Now this was all done without the help of scholarships or recruiting.  We have 3 AAs from within a 20 minute radius of each other(Glendale, West Allis, Merton) who started with use before 6th grade. Not like Blair or Sem or other HSs that recruit from all over america, but from a very small geographic region in southern Wisconsin.  The fact that you find this to be unimpressive just shows how deep your bias goes. 

As I have previously stated the AWA Points number will likely only grow over the next few years as we have built a system that is producing a large amount of really high caliber D1 recruits.  In fact we just won the U20 Freestyle division in Vegas last month.

Thanks for the compliment and your response Ben, you helped prove the point I am trying to make.  Your reply (and a few of your cohorts) to a person with a different viewpoint is to call them names and haters. The truth is that I have nothing against you, I don't even know you.  I also have no ill will against AWA.  I actually love to watch HS guys who also attend your club wrestle!       

There are a large percentage of UW supporters who would just like you to dial down the rhetoric that you have been displaying over the last 10 years. Often things starts with showing just a little more humility, a modest or low view of one's own importance.  Liked minded people can understand the importance of being positive especially in the time of adversity. I think we all can agree on that a positive relationship with UW and AWA would really help wrestling in the state of Wisconsin. This is the end game, nothing more

Army Ant

Quote from: benaskren on May 17, 2023, 10:31:23 PMArmy Ant- We had our 2nd best showing ever and would have been close to best ever if Kellen had not been injured 1st round.

Sounds good. I like to see WI natives succeed.