Luke Mechler transfers home to Wisconsin

Started by Wisconsin Wrestling Fan, May 15, 2023, 10:00:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

The Stoughton native is a strong candidate to start at 157 for the Badgers.

30-6 record at Oklahoma State in two seasons as a reserve. 4 tournament titles.

3 years of eligibility. Looks like he has improved quite a bit over his first two seasons in college.

From Oklahoma State wrestling page:

2022-23: Posted a 14-4 overall record in his redshirt freshman season ... Made his dual debut against Bucknell but dropped the bout to No. 33 Nick Delp, 9-3 ... Finished the season on an 11-match win streak ... Claimed first place at the Roger Denker Open and Golden Norsemen Open.

2021-22 (Redshirt Year): Began his true freshman campaign 9-0 winning both the Viking Open and the Lindenwood Open at 157 pounds ... Compiled a 16-2 overall record in open tournaments in his true freshman campaign ... Also won the Norseman Open, going 5-0 at the event with three bonus-point wins ... Posted six technical falls on the season to go along with two major decisions and a fall ... Went 2-2 at the Reno Tournament of Champions.
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

BadgerOne

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on May 15, 2023, 10:00:40 AMThe Stoughton native is a strong candidate to start at 157 for the Badgers.

3 years of eligibility. Looks like he has improved quite a bit over his first two seasons in college.

2022-23: Posted a 14-4 overall record in his redshirt freshman season ... Made his dual debut against Bucknell but dropped the bout to No. 33 Nick Delp, 9-3 ... Finished the season on an 11-match win streak ... Claimed first place at the Roger Denker Open and Golden Norsemen Open.

2021-22 (Redshirt Year): Began his true freshman campaign 9-0 winning both the Viking Open and the Lindenwood Open at 157 pounds ... Compiled a 16-2 overall record in open tournaments in his true freshman campaign ... Also won the Norseman Open, going 5-0 at the event with three bonus-point wins ... Posted six technical falls on the season to go along with two major decisions and a fall ... Went 2-2 at the Reno Tournament of Champions.

He has a nice record, however, when you scratch the surface, it is not all that impressive.
The vast majority of his wins have been against non-D1 competition.  He was 4-3 last year against D1 competition and three of those wins came against D1 guys with losing records.  He has one quality win over Logan Gioffre.  He also lost to two non-D1 wrestlers Gabe Johnson and Dylan Brown.  He also lost to D1 wrestlers Daniel Manibog, Lincoln Heck both ranked outside top 100 on WresteStat.  So last year he had no wins against any NCAA D1 qualifers and only one win against a D1 wrestler with a winning record and two losses to non-D1 wrestlers.  I'm not sure why all the hype?

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Quote from: BadgerOne on May 15, 2023, 10:45:19 AM
Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on May 15, 2023, 10:00:40 AMThe Stoughton native is a strong candidate to start at 157 for the Badgers.

He has a nice record, however, when you scratch the surface, it is not all that impressive.
The vast majority of his wins have been against non-D1 competition.  He was 4-3 last year against D1 competition and three of those wins came against D1 guys with losing records.  He has one quality win over Logan Gioffre.  He also lost to two non-D1 wrestlers Gabe Johnson and Dylan Brown.  He also lost to D1 wrestlers Daniel Manibog, Lincoln Heck both ranked outside top 100 on WresteStat.  So last year he had no wins against any NCAA D1 qualifers and only one win against a D1 wrestler with a winning record and two losses to non-D1 wrestlers.  I'm not sure why all the hype?

Why the hype?

We just landed another solid recruit. Who happens to be from Wisconsin. Luke strengthens the team and has great potential. Another good wrestler at 157 where long-time starter Garrett Model has graduated. Let the competition begin!

Luke is from Stoughton; many current Badgers are from Stoughton. We have had success with those recruits. Former coaches and wrestlers are from there. (Duane Kleven, Russ Hellickson, Andy Rein) The rich tradition continues.

I am sure Mechler has been well informed from his friends on the team what Wisconsin wrestling is all about and what the expectations are. I presume Hustle, Effort and Attitude was mentioned by the coaches and the workout schedule was discussed. After hearing all of this, he decided to take the challenge. That's what the Badgers need!   

Luke's two years at Oklahoma State will help him on and off the mat. He has many accomplishments to build on. Chris, Seth and Jon will help Luke develop his skills even further!

Overall, we want recruits that really want to be a Badger. Not wishy-washy ones, regardless of their past accomplishments.

Let's Go!
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

BadgerOne

I don't disagree with most of what you said.  I also learned that Mechler beat a current All-American Michael Caliendo in freestyle in 2021.  I'm not exactly sure what his potential is, but I'm assuming he'll be in the mix as a starter.  My problem isn't with this recruit (he may turn out to be a pleasant surprise), its that Bono draws attention to his recruiting via social media hype unlike most D1 wrestling coaches and honestly, most fans expected Bono to land some of the top recruits in the class of 2024 and he hasn't done so.

No One Cares

Quote from: BadgerOne on May 16, 2023, 02:52:34 PMI don't disagree with most of what you said.  I also learned that Mechler beat a current All-American Michael Caliendo in freestyle in 2021.  I'm not exactly sure what his potential is, but I'm assuming he'll be in the mix as a starter.  My problem isn't with this recruit (he may turn out to be a pleasant surprise), its that Bono draws attention to his recruiting via social media hype unlike most D1 wrestling coaches and honestly, most fans expected Bono to land some of the top recruits in the class of 2024 and he hasn't done so.

He had just as many wins over NCAA qualifiers as a freshman as you did. 

Chedd

Quote from: BadgerOne on May 16, 2023, 02:52:34 PMI don't disagree with most of what you said.  I also learned that Mechler beat a current All-American Michael Caliendo in freestyle in 2021.  I'm not exactly sure what his potential is, but I'm assuming he'll be in the mix as a starter.  My problem isn't with this recruit (he may turn out to be a pleasant surprise), its that Bono draws attention to his recruiting via social media hype unlike most D1 wrestling coaches and honestly, most fans expected Bono to land some of the top recruits in the class of 2024 and he hasn't done so.

That is literally the dumbest excuse to complain about something that I think I've ever read on here. A coaching staff should draw attention to recruits/new signings. It would be a little weird to not have a post about a new recruit from the fans and recruits perspective. Bono is doing the same thing any coach or program should be doing. No Wisconsin football fan complains when Fickell does this, they love it.

Yes, we all expect Bono to land better recruits but that is a different argument.

BadgerOne

Quote from: Chedd on May 17, 2023, 08:38:24 AM

That is literally the dumbest excuse to complain about something that I think I've ever read on here. A coaching staff should draw attention to recruits/new signings. It would be a little weird to not have a post about a new recruit from the fans and recruits perspective. Bono is doing the same thing any coach or program should be doing. No Wisconsin football fan complains when Fickell does this, they love it.

Yes, we all expect Bono to land better recruits but that is a different argument.

You completely missed the point.  I read all his social posts as Bono drawing attention to himself and bragging about how great he is doing recruiting when he has been a disaster lately.  I would prefer him being low key as he is becoming a laughingstock in the wrestling community.  Other boards mock and make fun of Bono.

Chedd

Quote from: BadgerOne on May 17, 2023, 10:20:45 AM
Quote from: Chedd on May 17, 2023, 08:38:24 AM

You completely missed the point.  I read all his social posts as Bono drawing attention to himself and bragging about how great he is doing recruiting when he has been a disaster lately.  I would prefer him being low key as he is becoming a laughingstock in the wrestling community.  Other boards mock and make fun of Bono.

My bad then. I have been critical of what has seemed like self-promotion of the staff over time. No issues with the signal when a recruit commits though.

wrestlemania

Recommend you read npope's latest post.