As it stands..How can Bono remain?

Started by wrestler_73, May 08, 2023, 10:30:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brncrzy189

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on May 14, 2023, 03:00:53 PMBadgers are ranked 14th in duals and 11th in tournament polls per wrestlestat.

FYI - This has not been updated since Gomez announced he wasn't coming back. Has Gomez as starter at 149 and Scharenbrock at 157.

Healthy and happy

Quote from: hornbuckleb on May 10, 2023, 12:10:03 PMHonestly there is only one coach that could come into Wisconsin at this point and have an immediate impact and put the team into the top 4 within 2 years.

NCAA Champion
CEO/CFO type of a person
Knows Wisconsin Wrestling like the back of his hand
Multiple Degrees
Get's along well with Ben
Could bring in an assistant at the level of a Jason Nolf
Is well respected
Interacts extremely well with WWF
Could possibly sway several past AA's to enter the portal next year
Not bad but how about these qualifications for the Head Coach at Wisconsin:

3x NCAA All-American
NCAA champion
NWCA assistant coach of the year
2x US National champion
2x World Cup champion
3x World team member
Has two NCAA champions and world team members as assistant coaches
CEO/CFO type multiple Division 1 wrestling programs
Head Coach of an NCAA national champ and multiple AAs
National Wrestling Hall of Fame member
Interacts extremely well with WWF and state high school coaches
Has landed past AA's in the transfer portal

Healthy and happy

Quote from: Chedd on May 10, 2023, 09:28:51 AMThe Askren situation has killed Bono. It would be best for the program for Bono to go elsewhere at this point. Not saying he is at total fault in the situation (no clue) but the situation has ruined the direction of the program and I don't think there is any way to recover.

In state recruiting would likely be a little better with Brandvold but he isn't going to land the AWA kids at much more of a consistency than Bono. Go with one of the Askrens or Becker if you want to secure the best talent in your home state. All of these guys can obviously coach a kid up but none of that is important if you don't get the talent in the door in the first place. The #1 priority has to be to start landing AWA wrestlers because that is where most of the D1 talent in the state is coming out of. I don't like what has happened with the negative recruiting against Wisconsin but the reality of the situation is that it isn't going to stop until a change is made.
What am I missing here? AWA is a nice youth/U17 program and has elevated the quality of wrestling within the state of Wisconsin. Something I think we all can agree on.
However, from an NCAA Division 1 perspective, AWA has done very little over the last decade. There has been just 3 guys that has reached the podium at the NCAA tournament.  There has only been 7 AA's which comes to <1% of the total AA's possible. A nice club yes. A great or elite club, not so much.  Not a club that will help UW in the quest to becoming a Top 10 team nationally

Now to be fair, AWA does seem to be trending in the right direction but let's see how it plays out over the next  5 years

WrestlerSB80

Novice, I think you're missing a lot. Saying AWA isn't a great or elite club is crazy. It's hard to believe your average nice clubs having 10-15 kids in the wrestling room that are going to top division 1 colleges for wrestling. If you don't think by having these kids at Wisconsin won't help them being in the top 10 is crazier. I'm pretty sure you don't go to Penn State being an average wrestler or just going to the just nice clubs.

So every kid that goes D1 has to win a national championship, for that club to be an elite club?

hornbuckleb

Quote from: novice wrestler on May 15, 2023, 08:38:34 AM
Quote from: hornbuckleb on May 10, 2023, 12:10:03 PMHonestly there is only one coach that could come into Wisconsin at this point and have an immediate impact and put the team into the top 4 within 2 years.

NCAA Champion
CEO/CFO type of a person
Multiple Degrees
Is well respected

3x NCAA All-American
NCAA champion
2x US National champion
2x World Cup champion
3x World team member

So top 4 Team in 2 years then? Correct :-X

Healthy and happy

Quote from: hornbuckleb on May 15, 2023, 03:45:46 PM

NCAA Champion
CEO/CFO type of a person
Multiple Degrees
Is well respected

3x NCAA All-American
NCAA champion
2x US National champion
2x World Cup champion
3x World team member

Just comparing resumes that all.  You are the one stating your guy on paper would have an immediate impact.  Not sure how you came to that assumption though

Healthy and happy

Quote from: WrestlerSB80 on May 15, 2023, 09:23:03 AMNovice, I think you're missing a lot. Saying AWA isn't a great or elite club is crazy. It's hard to believe your average nice clubs having 10-15 kids in the wrestling room that are going to top division 1 colleges for wrestling. If you don't think by having these kids at Wisconsin won't help them being in the top 10 is crazier. I'm pretty sure you don't go to Penn State being an average wrestler or just going to the just nice clubs.

So every kid that goes D1 has to win a national championship, for that club to be an elite club?
Let me clarify this for you.  On the state level or maybe even regional level, AWA is a elite club.  On the national level, it is a good program.  There are at least 2-3 youth training centers in NJ, PA that have more elite/D1 AAs that AWA.   Take that along with 1-2 youth training centers in NY, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Iowa not to mention some in Minnesota etc that have more success on the D1 level.

AWA national is not a top 10 program, probably more of a 15-20 top program.  AWA is good and that is nothing to be ashamed of.  They have good coaches that work hard and have had some success. AWA is trending to have more D1 AA success in the future

The main point I am trying to make is that AWA nationally is no better or worse than UW wrestling has been nationally, yet so many folks act like AWA is so superior.  The facts over the last 10 years just don't show that.  Just wish the Askern's would stop with the negative attacks on the UW program and coaches.  They really don't have the national record to stand on.

Grapl

Quote from: novice wrestler on May 16, 2023, 09:20:03 AMLet me clarify this for you.  On the state level or maybe even regional level, AWA is a elite club.  On the national level, it is a good program.  There are at least 2-3 youth training centers in NJ, PA that have more elite/D1 AAs that AWA.   Take that along with 1-2 youth training centers in NY, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Iowa not to mention some in Minnesota etc that have more success on the D1 level.

AWA national is not a top 10 program, probably more of a 15-20 top program.  AWA is good and that is nothing to be ashamed of.  They have good coaches that work hard and have had some success. AWA is trending to have more D1 AA success in the future

The main point I am trying to make is that AWA nationally is no better or worse than UW wrestling has been nationally, yet so many folks act like AWA is so superior.  The facts over the last 10 years just don't show that.  Just wish the Askern's would stop with the negative attacks on the UW program and coaches.  They really don't have the national record to stand on.
Did you happen to watch last years Fargo, U16 Duals, Junior Duals, Junior World Championship's, D1/D2/D3 NCAA's or the US Open? I would recommend you watch these prior to saying that AWA is "not" an elite club.

hornbuckleb

Quote from: novice wrestler on May 16, 2023, 09:01:32 AM
Quote from: hornbuckleb on May 15, 2023, 03:45:46 PM

NCAA Champion
CEO/CFO type of a person
Multiple Degrees
Is well respected

3x NCAA All-American
NCAA champion
2x US National champion
2x World Cup champion
3x World team member

Just comparing resumes that all.  You are the one stating your guy on paper would have an immediate impact.  Not sure how you came to that assumption though

You are right, it is just an assumption with no guarantees, and I am in no way saying that Bono is not a guy that couldn't right the ship yet, but if there was a new coach brought in my pick would be Max.  Not because he is a flashy pick, but because he is highly intelligent, can develop wrestlers and has that "X" factor that could make Wisconsin the place to be.  I also think you would see quite a few Wisconsinites in the portal soon thereafter.

So that's my assumption, but you know what happens when you assume, it makes an inappropriate term out of u and me  ;)

If resumes actually were the deciding factor why would we ever have gotten rid of:

Davis' Career Highlights

1983 Pan-Am Gold Medalist
1983 World Team Member
Two-time Olympian (Los Angeles, 1984 & Seoul, South Korea, 1988)
1984 Olympic Silver Medalist at 125.5 lbs.
Three-time NCAA champion (1982, `83, `85)
Four-time All-American
One of nine wrestlers to win four Big Ten titles
1985 Big Ten Conference Athlete of the Year
Member of the National Iowa Varsity Club Athletic Hall of Fame
1986 World Bronze Medalist
1987 World Silver Medalist
Coached eight Big Ten champions (Trevor Brandvold, Keith Davison, Matt Hanutke, Eric Jetton, Donny Pritzlaff, Kevin Wilmot, Tom Clum and Andrew Howe)
Coached 22 All-Americans (Kevin Black, Tony Black, Trevor Brandvold, Kole Clauson, Tom Clum, Keith Davison, Ryan Flaherty, Tyler Graff, Matt Hanutke, Craig Henning, Dallas Herbst, Grant Hoerr, Andrew Howe, Eric Jetton, Kyle Massey, Donny Pritzlaff, Kyle Ruschell, Zach Tanelli, Tyler Turner, Cory Wallman, Kevin Wilmot and Jeff Walter)
Coached three NCAA champions (Andrew Howe, Donny Pritzlaff, Jeff Walter)
Coached 63 wrestlers to a total of 91 NCAA appearances in 16 seasons at Wisconsin
Recognized by National Wrestling Hall of Fame as 2007 Distinguished Member
Has the second-most wins of any Badger coach and reached the 150-win milestone during the 2007-08 season.
NWCA National Coach of the Year in 2010
Helped Badgers tie for best finish in school history in 2010 when Wisconsin placed fourth at the NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships

Chedd

Quote from: novice wrestler on May 16, 2023, 09:20:03 AM
Quote from: WrestlerSB80 on May 15, 2023, 09:23:03 AMNovice, I think you're missing a lot. Saying AWA isn't a great or elite club is crazy. It's hard to believe your average nice clubs having 10-15 kids in the wrestling room that are going to top division 1 colleges for wrestling. If you don't think by having these kids at Wisconsin won't help them being in the top 10 is crazier. I'm pretty sure you don't go to Penn State being an average wrestler or just going to the just nice clubs.

Let me clarify this for you.  On the state level or maybe even regional level, AWA is a elite club.  On the national level, it is a good program.  There are at least 2-3 youth training centers in NJ, PA that have more elite/D1 AAs that AWA.   Take that along with 1-2 youth training centers in NY, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Iowa not to mention some in Minnesota etc that have more success on the D1 level.

I don't know all the details but I do agree that I wish the negative attacks would stop. It isn't a good look for anybody involved.

AWA does have the national record to stand on and are definitely on the rise nationally. The problem with comparing AWA to those other clubs/training centers in other states is that UW can't really look at those other clubs as potential feeder programs like they could with a top 10 club in their own backyard.

benaskren

Novice, you are a moron!

Here are some stats for you
NCAA Points
2021- AWA- 32.5.  Badgers 18.5
2022- AWA- 42.    Badgers 38.5
2023- AWA- 46.    Badgers 29

Now this was all done without the help of scholarships or recruiting.  We have 3 AAs from within a 20 minute radius of each other(Glendale, West Allis, Merton) who started with use before 6th grade. Not like Blair or Sem or other HSs that recruit from all over america, but from a very small geographic region in southern Wisconsin.  The fact that you find this to be unimpressive just shows how deep your bias goes. 

As I have previously stated the AWA Points number will likely only grow over the next few years as we have built a system that is producing a large amount of really high caliber D1 recruits.  In fact we just won the U20 Freestyle division in Vegas last month.

I know there will always be haters, but I think it is time some of you stubborn old bastards jump aboard this train.  It has left the station, is picking up speed and either you can jump on and enjoy the ride or just continue to cry as we keep on crushing it over the next few decades by helping thousands of kids from Wisconsin be the best they can be.

Ben Askren
Founder and Owner at AWA
askrenbros@gmail.com
www.awawisconsin.com

Army Ant

Ben I noticed WI overall didn't seem to do nearly as well in u17 and u15, unless I'm mistaken. Did u just not send as many at those younger levels?

harley25

Quote from: benaskren on May 16, 2023, 12:36:54 PMNovice, you are a moron!

NCAA Points

Now this was all done without the help of scholarships or recruiting.  We have 3 AAs from within a 20 minute radius of each other(Glendale, West Allis, Merton) who started with use before 6th grade. Not like Blair or Sem or other HSs that recruit from all over america, but from a very small geographic region in southern Wisconsin.  The fact that you find this to be unimpressive just shows how deep your bias goes. 

As I have previously stated the AWA Points number will likely only grow over the next few years as we have built a system that is producing a large amount of really high caliber D1 recruits.  In fact we just won the U20 Freestyle division in Vegas last month.

I know there will always be haters, but I think it is time some of you stubborn old bastards jump aboard this train.  It has left the station, is picking up speed and either you can jump on and enjoy the ride or just continue to cry as we keep on crushing it over the next few decades by helping thousands of kids from Wisconsin be the best they can be.

When are you going to open something up in the North Central part of the State, little to no clubs North of Point/Rapids, lot of people waiting for something to open in the Wausau area or even farther North

Thanks

littleguy301

NCAA Points

Not bad at all. Actually pretty good if you ask me.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

head57

NCAA Points

I hope you realize that people in general are connected to the university in varying ways and will always care for UW wrestling in a way that they could never care for a club program (outside of the few who may have a child in the club program). "Get on board" isn't happening for most unless the success of AWA means something for the program we support and hope to see excel.

That doesn't mean there's any ill  will at all. You guys have a good thing going.
thats the bottom line
On Wisconsin!