As it stands..How can Bono remain?

Started by wrestler_73, May 08, 2023, 10:30:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

npope

Quote from: Chedd on May 10, 2023, 09:28:51 AMThe Askren situation has killed Bono. It would be best for the program for Bono to go elsewhere at this point. Not saying he is at total fault in the situation (no clue) but the situation has ruined the direction of the program and I don't think there is any way to recover.

In state recruiting would likely be a little better with Brandvold but he isn't going to land the AWA kids at much more of a consistency than Bono. Go with one of the Askrens or Becker if you want to secure the best talent in your home state. All of these guys can obviously coach a kid up but none of that is important if you don't get the talent in the door in the first place. The #1 priority has to be to start landing AWA wrestlers because that is where most of the D1 talent in the state is coming out of. I don't like what has happened with the negative recruiting against Wisconsin but the reality of the situation is that it isn't going to stop until a change is made.

So, Askren as the "king maker" (if not the king himself)? The power behind the throne? Hhhhmmm. Interesting scenario.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

wrastle63

Quote from: npope on May 10, 2023, 10:15:50 AM
Quote from: Chedd on May 10, 2023, 09:28:51 AMThe Askren situation has killed Bono. It would be best for the program for Bono to go elsewhere at this point. Not saying he is at total fault in the situation (no clue) but the situation has ruined the direction of the program and I don't think there is any way to recover.

In state recruiting would likely be a little better with Brandvold but he isn't going to land the AWA kids at much more of a consistency than Bono. Go with one of the Askrens or Becker if you want to secure the best talent in your home state. All of these guys can obviously coach a kid up but none of that is important if you don't get the talent in the door in the first place. The #1 priority has to be to start landing AWA wrestlers because that is where most of the D1 talent in the state is coming out of. I don't like what has happened with the negative recruiting against Wisconsin but the reality of the situation is that it isn't going to stop until a change is made.

So, Askren as the "king maker" (if not the king himself)? The power behind the throne? Hhhhmmm. Interesting scenario.
Honestly we would have the majority of these guys leaving on the UW team if he was the coach. Would we have Hamiti, Barnett, Gomez, etc? Not sure.

BadgerOne

Quote from: wrastle63 on May 10, 2023, 10:19:16 AM
Quote from: npope on May 10, 2023, 10:15:50 AM

Honestly we would have the majority of these guys leaving on the UW team if he was the coach. Would we have Hamiti, Barnett, Gomez, etc? Not sure.

Well, one option would be to elevate Jon Reader to head coach and bring in a Brandvold or Becker as the #2 guy (Becker would make twice as much money, so he might consider it, and Brandvold is the #3 guy and probably would get a nice pay bump too).  The problem with the Bono and Reader duo is their strengths are pretty much duplicative--high energy, positive mindset, go-getters who preach the hustle, effort, attitude mantra.  I don't think either is known for their prowess with teaching high end technique or match strategy that is where Brandvold and Becker excel.  Plus Reader doesn't carry the personal baggage that Bono does and purportedly Ben likes Reader but dislikes Bono.  Maybe Reader and Brandvold/Becker would repair the AWA relationship and start being able to recruit AWA while keeping Reader and perhaps Gross would secure Hamiti and Barnett stay and perhaps Gomez too. 

wrestling for fun

Quote from: Grapl on May 10, 2023, 09:14:02 AM
Quote from: wrestling for fun on May 09, 2023, 01:03:03 PM
Quote from: Army Ant on May 09, 2023, 12:14:29 PMThe in-state recruiting is a huge problem. No excuse for what happened this year.

. Go ahead and fire him. Who's going to replace him? 

Well, there is a certain severely underpaid assistant coach (compared to ours) nearby.
I'm assuming you mean Brandvold?
Yes, you assumed correctly.  Someone who has a record of developing, recruiting, ties to the state and an infectious personality without ego.  Just watching him work the room of parents and coaches at the AWA/Pinnacle event really stood out to me especially in contrast to Wisconsin's representation there.

hornbuckleb

Honestly there is only one coach that could come into Wisconsin at this point and have an immediate impact and put the team into the top 4 within 2 years.

NCAA Champion
CEO/CFO type of a person
Knows Wisconsin Wrestling like the back of his hand
Multiple Degrees
Get's along well with Ben
Could bring in an assistant at the level of a Jason Nolf
Is well respected
Interacts extremely well with WWF
Could possibly sway several past AA's to enter the portal next year

Grapl

Quote from: hornbuckleb on May 10, 2023, 12:10:03 PMHonestly there is only one coach that could come into Wisconsin at this point and have an immediate impact and put the team into the top 4 within 2 years.

NCAA Champion
CEO/CFO type of a person
Multiple Degrees
Is well respected
Just say it.....Max Askren?

hornbuckleb

Quote from: Grapl on May 10, 2023, 01:12:14 PM
Quote from: hornbuckleb on May 10, 2023, 12:10:03 PMHonestly there is only one coach that could come into Wisconsin at this point and have an immediate impact and put the team into the top 4 within 2 years.

NCAA Champion
CEO/CFO type of a person
Multiple Degrees
Is well respected
Just say it.....Max Askren?

Yep!

He absolutely has the potential to have an immediate impact.

Let's take it one more step now and include Ben into the mix, but with no affiliation with the Badgers.

So what would his role be then?

Hint: There is an enormous amount of cash for NIL along Interstates 43 and 94 that is ready to be plucked.

Chedd

Would be all for Max. I'm not sure he brings the same level of excitement as his brother would but he also seems like a cooler head and more polished.

A coaching change is likely a few years away. I see Bono and company doing enough to tread water for the next few years. Him jumping ship would not surprise me though. He has to see the writing on the wall

head57

Quote from: DocWrestling on May 09, 2023, 08:18:32 PMDon't kid yourself that the varsity collective is some booster club for all sports.  If they started giving donated money to wrestlers then people would stop donating.  As a donor/booster you have the choice what sport(s) you want to support.  They ask.

To get NIL money to wrestlers it has to come directly from a donor that wants it to go to wrestlers.  The overwhelming number of donors want their money to go to basketball and football.  Then hockey and volleyball have some donors.  Rest of sports are on their own

I'm not kidding myself. I don't think I said any different. I actually had a couple of lines in there about fans needing to open up the pocket books (a thousand fans giving a chunk of money annually does add up), but I decided I didn't want to open that can of worms. Why do Michigan and OSU have this secret trove of money that we apparently do not? They've got even more resources allocated to football than we do.
thats the bottom line
On Wisconsin!

head57

I remember Ben being on the board when the job was posting expressing Bono as the guy he could get behind (besides himself). Has it ever been made clear just how that relationship disintegrated? I know some things have bene alluded to, but I've never been able to piece together just how things seemed to fall apart so quickly. I'll take DMs if nobody wants to open that can of worms here!
thats the bottom line
On Wisconsin!

wrestling for fun

Quote from: head57 on May 10, 2023, 02:30:24 PMI remember Ben being on the board when the job was posting expressing Bono as the guy he could get behind (besides himself). Has it ever been made clear just how that relationship disintegrated? I know some things have bene alluded to, but I've never been able to piece together just how things seemed to fall apart so quickly. I'll take DMs if nobody wants to open that can of worms here!
One side of the story is explained in a very nicely done wiwrestle Rofkin interview with Ben.  Much of this issue is because there is a lack of communication from other side.  Some of us would very much like the current to succeed but do not see a clear direction.

wrestlemania

The Askren situation has killed Bono. It would be best for the program for Bono to go elsewhere at this point. Not saying he is at total fault in the situation (no clue) but the situation has ruined the direction of the program and I don't think there is any way to recover.

I have a great idea! UW should end the wrestling program in order to spite the Askrens (and any other anti-UW coaches club level or otherwise) and basically tell them since you are so determined to block us from recruiting your athletes, we're not going to waste any more money trying to keep competing in the sport we have no chance to do so. There! How 'bout that? Up Yours AWA!  To paraphrase Nixon: "You won't have UW wrestling to kick around anymore".

Notice we're talking club coaches here. Whatever happened to the high school coach, hmm? Apparently they're just wallflowers at this point when it comes to influencing where these athletes sign for college.

"I'm assuming you mean Brandvold?"

"Yes, you assumed correctly.  Someone who has a record of developing, recruiting, ties to the state and an infectious personality without ego.  Just watching him work the room of parents and coaches at the AWA/Pinnacle event really stood out to me especially in contrast to Wisconsin's representation there.

I find it lovely some fans here now have high regard for Trevor Branvold because as it turns out HE WAS ON THE UW STAFF BEFORE! In fact some considered him BD's heir apparent. But of course we didn't want that at time. No sir! Complete break from the past, complete break from the winningest coach in UW history. We hired the hottest college coaching prospect around, paid him double what BD made and included his right-hand man and a kid he happened to coach to an NCAA title with a great personal story. And he still can't recruit? When is it going to sink in around here that it isn't the coach, it's what the coach has to work with, that's the problem. Here's the most intelligent thing I've read in this thread:

I don't have any expectations for UW-Madison as a power wrestling program. Just isn't going to happen, no matter who the coach is. Especially now w/ NIL. Go ahead and fire him. Who's going to replace him?  You'll just get more of the same no matter who it is. If it's even possible, it will take SEVERAL years to turn this program around.

Unless of course that coach has been knighted by "The King of Wisconsin Wrestling".

"So, Askren as the "king maker" (if not the king himself)? The power behind the throne? Hhhhmmm. Interesting scenario."

Although I will say whoever advocated hiring Max had a momentary lapse of brilliance. I mean, Ben wouldn't find a way to hate on his brother if he became UW head coach, would he?

"The problem with the Bono and Reader duo is their strengths are pretty much duplicative--high energy, positive mindset, go-getters who preach the hustle, effort, attitude mantra.  I don't think either is known for their prowess with teaching high end technique or match strategy that is where Brandvold and Becker excel.  Plus Reader doesn't carry the personal baggage that Bono does and purportedly Ben likes Reader but dislikes Bono.  Maybe Reader and Brandvold/Becker would repair the AWA relationship and start being able to recruit AWA while keeping Reader and perhaps Gross would secure Hamiti and Barnett stay and perhaps Gomez too.

Yes that's what Reader and Gross need to do, stage a coup. We're headed towards the booby hatch here.

"Its the Barry Davis era all over again."

Lord if that were only true. And even if it was, Barry is still the winningest coach in UW history like it or not. It's a disgrace the lack of respect Barry Davis gets around here and a good indication of the mindset of some of the people who call themselves Wisconsin wrestling "fans" have. If I were Bono I wouldn't just resign because I have no money to work with in comparison to the best schools in the country, I have a wrestling room with concrete pillars in it and the wrestling coaches outside the University put me down, it's because it doesn't matter what success you can earn at UW. If they can't treat right the school's winning coach who also Big Ten and Olympic champion wrestler, it means they don't respect anyone.

"Jake Sueflohn has spent quite a bit of time as an Assistant Coach at Purdue, has the AWA connection and Purdue is currently catching up to UW as a team and clearly doing better then UW regarding recruits.  Their coaching staff is amazing."

What was UW's lone B1G win this season? 28-9 against Purdue with the great Jake Suefelon on the amazing coaching staff! Wake me when they finally finish seventh in the league standings.

"You guys don't want to hear it, but I will say it.  You can only treat people poorly for so long.  Before the places you have been to before and the people you have engaged with finally have a story to tell.  And truthfully the story on Bono is not a good one.  He isn't well liked among other coaches. He has been to three programs as a head coach and chased 75% of the athletes at each school he inherited away. Destroyed relationships with donors and friends the two previous locations.  Has already begun to lose support here in this state. He uses people as a bridge to get what he wants.  Bono lost me as a supporter his very first year.  I won't go into detail.  But that team needed a pillar someone to rally around after losing a teammate.  He became their biggest obstacle. Don't believe me? Go talk to anyone that was on that team.  (Of course, those guys are just pawns to some of you as well)"

Okay, you've just accused Bono of....what exactly? Not treating the Stickley family right? I mean what are you talking about? Hmmm? I'd like to know but, oh, alas, you won't go into detail for the rest of the class. Fine. Continue spouting.

Someone else also mentioned Bono also alienated people over the Wisconsin Wrestling Federation? I'm curious how you can possibly do that? in all seriousness.  Everyone keeps saying "Ego! Ego! Ego!" in regards to Bono. Let the record show the yearning need on the Wisconsin Wrestling Forum for a little Barry Davis humility after it had been trashed for over decade. The grass isn't always greener on the other side I guess.

I don't know what else to say really because I've said it all before and in my most recent posts at the end of each season I don't wish to repeat myself. I guess I'll just have to work off everyone else's comments, dumb or otherwise.

Ghetto

That was a very long post. And I agree with most of it.

We were excited with the transition from Davis to Bono. That should have led to an influx of talent within the state, as it was before the beef between AWA and Bono started. It also should, in theory, have increased donor money and contributions. That didn't happen either.

Truth is, we want the coach to build a dynasty by themselves. You do it, and we will sit idly by and make demands.

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

littleguy301

Quote from: wrestlemania on May 12, 2023, 08:24:30 PMThe Askren situation has killed Bono. It would be best for the program for Bono to go elsewhere at this point. Not saying he is at total fault in the situation (no clue) but the situation has ruined the direction of the program and I don't think there is any way to recover.

I have a great idea! UW should end the wrestling program in order to spite the Askrens (and any other anti-UW coaches club level or otherwise) and basically tell them since you are so determined to block us from recruiting your athletes, we're not going to waste any more money trying to keep competing in the sport we have no chance to do so. There! How 'bout that? Up Yours AWA!  To paraphrase Nixon: "You won't have UW wrestling to kick around anymore".

Notice we're talking club coaches here. Whatever happened to the high school coach, hmm? Apparently they're just wallflowers at this point when it comes to influencing where these athletes sign for college.

"I'm assuming you mean Brandvold?"

"Yes, you assumed correctly.  Someone who has a record of developing, recruiting, ties to the state and an infectious personality without ego.  Just watching him work the room of parents and coaches at the AWA/Pinnacle event really stood out to me especially in contrast to Wisconsin's representation there.

I find it lovely some fans here now have high regard for Trevor Branvold because as it turns out HE WAS ON THE UW STAFF BEFORE! In fact some considered him BD's heir apparent. But of course we didn't want that at time. No sir! Complete break from the past, complete break from the winningest coach in UW history. We hired the hottest college coaching prospect around, paid him double what BD made and included his right-hand man and a kid he happened to coach to an NCAA title with a great personal story. And he still can't recruit? When is it going to sink in around here that it isn't the coach, it's what the coach has to work with, that's the problem. Here's the most intelligent thing I've read in this thread:

I don't have any expectations for UW-Madison as a power wrestling program. Just isn't going to happen, no matter who the coach is. Especially now w/ NIL. Go ahead and fire him. Who's going to replace him?  You'll just get more of the same no matter who it is. If it's even possible, it will take SEVERAL years to turn this program around.

Unless of course that coach has been knighted by "The King of Wisconsin Wrestling".

"So, Askren as the "king maker" (if not the king himself)? The power behind the throne? Hhhhmmm. Interesting scenario."

Although I will say whoever advocated hiring Max had a momentary lapse of brilliance. I mean, Ben wouldn't find a way to hate on his brother if he became UW head coach, would he?

"The problem with the Bono and Reader duo is their strengths are pretty much duplicative--high energy, positive mindset, go-getters who preach the hustle, effort, attitude mantra.  I don't think either is known for their prowess with teaching high end technique or match strategy that is where Brandvold and Becker excel.  Plus Reader doesn't carry the personal baggage that Bono does and purportedly Ben likes Reader but dislikes Bono.  Maybe Reader and Brandvold/Becker would repair the AWA relationship and start being able to recruit AWA while keeping Reader and perhaps Gross would secure Hamiti and Barnett stay and perhaps Gomez too.

Yes that's what Reader and Gross need to do, stage a coup. We're headed towards the booby hatch here.

"Its the Barry Davis era all over again."

Lord if that were only true. And even if it was, Barry is still the winningest coach in UW history like it or not. It's a disgrace the lack of respect Barry Davis gets around here and a good indication of the mindset of some of the people who call themselves Wisconsin wrestling "fans" have. If I were Bono I wouldn't just resign because I have no money to work with in comparison to the best schools in the country, I have a wrestling room with concrete pillars in it and the wrestling coaches outside the University put me down, it's because it doesn't matter what success you can earn at UW. If they can't treat right the school's winning coach who also Big Ten and Olympic champion wrestler, it means they don't respect anyone.

"Jake Sueflohn has spent quite a bit of time as an Assistant Coach at Purdue, has the AWA connection and Purdue is currently catching up to UW as a team and clearly doing better then UW regarding recruits.  Their coaching staff is amazing."

What was UW's lone B1G win this season? 28-9 against Purdue with the great Jake Suefelon on the amazing coaching staff! Wake me when they finally finish seventh in the league standings.

"You guys don't want to hear it, but I will say it.  You can only treat people poorly for so long.  Before the places you have been to before and the people you have engaged with finally have a story to tell.  And truthfully the story on Bono is not a good one.  He isn't well liked among other coaches. He has been to three programs as a head coach and chased 75% of the athletes at each school he inherited away. Destroyed relationships with donors and friends the two previous locations.  Has already begun to lose support here in this state. He uses people as a bridge to get what he wants.  Bono lost me as a supporter his very first year.  I won't go into detail.  But that team needed a pillar someone to rally around after losing a teammate.  He became their biggest obstacle. Don't believe me? Go talk to anyone that was on that team.  (Of course, those guys are just pawns to some of you as well)"

Okay, you've just accused Bono of....what exactly? Not treating the Stickley family right? I mean what are you talking about? Hmmm? I'd like to know but, oh, alas, you won't go into detail for the rest of the class. Fine. Continue spouting.

Someone else also mentioned Bono also alienated people over the Wisconsin Wrestling Federation? I'm curious how you can possibly do that? in all seriousness.  Everyone keeps saying "Ego! Ego! Ego!" in regards to Bono. Let the record show the yearning need on the Wisconsin Wrestling Forum for a little Barry Davis humility after it had been trashed for over decade. The grass isn't always greener on the other side I guess.

I don't know what else to say really because I've said it all before and in my most recent posts at the end of each season I don't wish to repeat myself. I guess I'll just have to work off everyone else's comments, dumb or otherwise.

I dwell on this to much but here it goes. Bono and Reader were at new Richmond last summer for a camp and the fargo team camp was in river falls at the same time. 20 minutes apart at the most and Bono couldn't drop by the fargo team camp. I found that not a smart move on Bono part not to stop by the state camp. Every other d1 state coach went to their states camps but bono was the lone hold out.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Badgers are ranked 14th in duals and 11th in tournament polls per wrestlestat.
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf