Badgers 2023-2024 Projection

Started by Wisconsin Wrestling Fan, May 12, 2023, 11:12:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Here is my current projected depth chart. (Several questions / comments follow)

125 - Barnett, Kruse
133 - Rivera, Bobzien, Coy
141 - Lettini, Severin
149 - Zargo, Medora, George, Nilo
157 - Anderson, Sheen, Goebel. Scharenbrock? Model?
165 - Hamiti, Model
174 - Otto, Calhoun, Condon
184 - Liegel
197 - Talshahar, Empey
285 - Amos, Christensen, Rosenfeld, Schmidtke

Questions /Comments

125 - Barnett. Two time All-American. Enough said. Kruse is the backup and redshirts.

133 - Rivera appears to have a slight edge over Coy. He could make 125, but Barnett is there. Bobzien could redshirt.

141 / 149 - Zargo and Lettini are the favorites here, I think Zargo bumps up to 149 with Gomez gone. 141 Severin and 149 Medora are the primary backups. Nilo redshirts.

157 - Wide open. Anderson coming back from injury. Sheen and Goebel probably move up to challenge. Is Scharenbrock coming back for 1 more year?

165 - Hamiti unless he plans to move to 174, which would cause Otto to move to 165. Will Model cut to 157 to challenge? 157 worked out for his brother! ;D

174 - Otto is the incumbent. Condon may challenge for the spot right away, given his recent U20 Nationals performance. Calhoun is solid but was behind Otto last year.

184 - Liegel is the primary option, Calhoun could move up if necessary.

197 - Talshahar will be here. Needs to make a big step in his 2nd year. I think he can, like his brother did at Northwestern. Wondering if Empey moves to 197 to challenge with the logjam at heavyweight.

285 - Amos will most likely move to heavyweight, unless he Olympic redshirts as he recovers from injury. Christensen could finally get his chance. Rosenfeld wrestled well his freshman year. Schmidtke provides depth.

if the Badgers add any other transfers this summer, it will probably be at 157 or 197. Still some options available in the transfer portal!
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

Ledger

head57

thats the bottom line
On Wisconsin!

Ledger

mkm13

Nice summary.  It appears we will have a bottom 3 big 10 wrestler at 5 or 6 weights next year, unless we bring in a few transfers.

Handles II

Quote from: mkm13 on May 12, 2023, 12:14:49 PMNice summary.  It appears we will have a bottom 3 big 10 wrestler at 5 or 6 weights next year, unless we bring in a few transfers.
9th/10th in the big 10 will often get a berth at Natty's. Based on other movements in the portal and NIL, I'm betting that some guys will find UW an attractive option to transfer to.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Barnett, Bobzien, Zargo, Hamiti and Amos still have redshirts available. Amos has an Olympic redshirt as well. (Zargo, Amos, Bobzien and Calhoun all grey shirted their 1st year)

Kirk Nelson

harley25

Hamiti is going to have a hard time closing the gap with who he has in the room to practice with IMO

wrestle03

harley25 - I couldnt agree more.  There is no one in the room that will make him a better wrestler or push him.  Wouldnt be shocked in the least bit if he enters the transfer portal.

wrastle63

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on May 12, 2023, 12:49:28 PMBarnett, Bobzien, Zargo, Hamiti and Amos still have redshirts available. Amos has an Olympic redshirt as well. (Zargo, Amos, Bobzien and Calhoun all grey shirted their 1st year)

At this point our best option is to punt this year and let the young guys go. Barnett, Zargo, Hamiti, and Amos redshirt. Make it a developmental year. Hard to do with the bad taste in the mouth of a lot of fans.

Numbers

Quote from: wrestle03 on May 12, 2023, 02:19:44 PMharley25 - I couldnt agree more.  There is no one in the room that will make him a better wrestler or push him.  Wouldnt be shocked in the least bit if he enters the transfer portal.
He has a past NCAA champion as a coach and workout partner.  DJ will be fine.  Same with Barnett and Gross.

wrestle03

Numbers - so does every other wrestling room in the Big Ten.  ONE guy isnt going to get him to the next level. It will be very difficult to close the gap on guys better than him with the guys WI has (I should say dont have) in the wrestling room.  Keep drinking the Kool Aid.

aarons23

Quote from: wrestle03 on May 12, 2023, 04:58:29 PMNumbers - so does every other wrestling room in the Big Ten.  ONE guy isnt going to get him to the next level. It will be very difficult to close the gap on guys better than him with the guys WI has (I should say dont have) in the wrestling room.  Keep drinking the Kool Aid.

Dj will be fine!
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

Harris

Quote from: Numbers on May 12, 2023, 03:52:51 PM
Quote from: wrestle03 on May 12, 2023, 02:19:44 PMharley25 - I couldnt agree more.  There is no one in the room that will make him a better wrestler or push him.  Wouldnt be shocked in the least bit if he enters the transfer portal.
He has a past NCAA champion as a coach and workout partner.  DJ will be fine.  Same with Barnett and Gross.

This 👆

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Projected Update...

125 - Barnett, Kruse
133 - Rivera, Bobzien, Coy
141 - Lettini, Severin
149 - Zargo, Sheen, Medora, George, Nilo
157 - Mechler, Anderson, Goebel
165 - Hamiti, Model
174 - Otto, Calhoun, Condon
184 - Liegel
197 - Talshahar, Empey
285 - Amos, Christensen, Rosenfeld, Schmidtke

Kirk Nelson