As it stands..How can Bono remain?

Started by wrestler_73, May 08, 2023, 10:30:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dad 2 5

I don't think Bono can fix himself to fix this situation. Wonder what he was thinking when the situation with Ben developed. He had to know enough about Ben to know what things would push his buttons. It is a sad situation

wrestler_73

I want Bono and the Badgers to succeed.  So many missed opportunities because of ego. Kids and parents make their own choices on college.  If Askren was a badger wrestling supporter there is not a guarantee that kids would all come, but his very vocal feelings on Bono have made it difficult for anyone of high calibre to come to UW.  We need a change.

rjchev141

UW is so far from competing with PSU/Iowa, and even UMich/OSU/Cornell.  Current facilities, NIL, RTC, etc will make it hard to even compete with Mizzu/NCST/OKST/etc.  What Wisconsin does have though is strong wrestling from WIAA/WWF/Clubs/etc.  At a bare minimum, UW needs leadership that can connect to that.  With that alone UW can be a team Wisconsinites are proud of and possibly be in the race for a trophy.  I am a support of Bono and Co., but it just isn't working here.

vsmf2010

Quote from: rjchev141 on May 09, 2023, 10:49:12 AMUW is so far from competing with PSU/Iowa, and even UMich/OSU/Cornell.  Current facilities, NIL, RTC, etc will make it hard to even compete with Mizzu/NCST/OKST/etc.  What Wisconsin does have though is strong wrestling from WIAA/WWF/Clubs/etc.  At a bare minimum, UW needs leadership that can connect to that.  With that alone UW can be a team Wisconsinites are proud of and possibly be in the race for a trophy.  I am a support of Bono and Co., but it just isn't working here.

Hard to argue with any of that

wrastle63

Quote from: rjchev141 on May 09, 2023, 10:49:12 AMUW is so far from competing with PSU/Iowa, and even UMich/OSU/Cornell.  Current facilities, NIL, RTC, etc will make it hard to even compete with Mizzu/NCST/OKST/etc.  What Wisconsin does have though is strong wrestling from WIAA/WWF/Clubs/etc.  At a bare minimum, UW needs leadership that can connect to that.  With that alone UW can be a team Wisconsinites are proud of and possibly be in the race for a trophy.  I am a support of Bono and Co., but it just isn't working here.
Nailed it.

Army Ant

The in-state recruiting is a huge problem. No excuse for what happened this year.

That being said, I don't have any expectations for UW-Madison as a power wrestling program. Just isn't going to happen, no matter who the coach is. Especially now w/ NIL. Go ahead and fire him. Who's going to replace him?  You'll just get more of the same no matter who it is. If it's even possible, it will take SEVERAL years to turn this program around.

WrestlerSB80

I agree Army. Not sure if Wisconsin will have a junior class like this in a while. Don't get me wrong, Wisconsin has a lot of talented wrestlers still in the pipeline. Peterson, Neitzel, Crook, Koch, Herm, Wolbert, Peters and many more. We need to get them in a W singlet.

wrestling for fun

Quote from: Army Ant on May 09, 2023, 12:14:29 PMThe in-state recruiting is a huge problem. No excuse for what happened this year.

. Go ahead and fire him. Who's going to replace him?   

Well, there is a certain severely underpaid assistant coach (compared to ours) nearby.

head57

Quote from: Army Ant on May 09, 2023, 12:14:29 PMThe in-state recruiting is a huge problem. No excuse for what happened this year.

That being said, I don't have any expectations for UW-Madison as a power wrestling program. Just isn't going to happen, no matter who the coach is. Especially now w/ NIL. Go ahead and fire him. Who's going to replace him?  You'll just get more of the same no matter who it is. If it's even possible, it will take SEVERAL years to turn this program around.

You kind of contradict yourself at the end, but I'll focus on the first part...Why do you say this? Why is the expectation for UW to be a power wrestling program unreasonable? We have a huge alumni-base. Great university. In-state talent base continues to grow. There's great movement in the NIL space with football and basketball. I know non-revenue sports athletes are able take part in the Varsity Collective efforts that have been set up. There's actually no reason that we can't be in a spot where we are able to compete in that tier behind PSU, IMO.
thats the bottom line
On Wisconsin!

littleguy301

Quote from: head57 on May 09, 2023, 01:05:55 PM

You kind of contradict yourself at the end, but I'll focus on the first part...Why do you say this? Why is the expectation for UW to be a power wrestling program unreasonable? We have a huge alumni-base. Great university. In-state talent base continues to grow. There's great movement in the NIL space with football and basketball. I know non-revenue sports athletes are able take part in the Varsity Collective efforts that have been set up. There's actually no reason that we can't be in a spot where we are able to compete in that tier behind PSU, IMO.

Well your right but outside a couple of in state recruits Bono hasn't landed a single one of the big name recruits and hopefully it changes. Kids just aren't looking to Madison right now.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

littleguy301

Quote from: head57 on May 09, 2023, 01:05:55 PM

In Vegas there on the light side of 15 AA from Wisconsin and Rivera and future recruit Condon we the only 2 Badgers that AA. In my eyes that is like 12 to 13 u17 and u20 kids the badgers missed out in the state!

I keep hearing not many Bono even got a chance to sit at the dinner table with and talk wrestling. I hope Bono reached out to most of them.

Think about that, 12 or so AA at the open from Wisconsin that are wrestling out of state!

I hope Bono can lock down a few of the u 15 class!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

DocWrestling

Don't kid yourself that the varsity collective is some booster club for all sports.  If they started giving donated money to wrestlers then people would stop donating.  As a donor/booster you have the choice what sport(s) you want to support.  They ask.

To get NIL money to wrestlers it has to come directly from a donor that wants it to go to wrestlers.  The overwhelming number of donors want their money to go to basketball and football.  Then hockey and volleyball have some donors.  Rest of sports are on their own
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Grapl

Quote from: wrestling for fun on May 09, 2023, 01:03:03 PM

Well, there is a certain severely underpaid assistant coach (compared to ours) nearby.
I'm assuming you mean Brandvold?

asdf

Quote from: Grapl on May 10, 2023, 09:14:02 AM
Quote from: wrestling for fun on May 09, 2023, 01:03:03 PM

I'm assuming you mean Brandvold?

Brandvold would be great.

Damian Hahn, Bono's replacement at SDSU, is doing some amazing things as well.  He is rumored to have just turned down the OU job (which no one wanted for some reason).  He found a huge donor and has a great new facility, has a world teamer as well, and clearly has quite the pipeline in MN.

Jake Sueflohn has spent quite a bit of time as an Assistant Coach at Purdue, has the AWA connection and Purdue is currently catching up to UW as a team and clearly doing better then UW regarding recruits.  Their coaching staff is amazing.

If I spent more then 2 minutes, I could have a couple other suggestions as well. Point is plenty of mid major coaches and assistant coaches would jump at the chance to be Head Coach at UW.

Chedd

The Askren situation has killed Bono. It would be best for the program for Bono to go elsewhere at this point. Not saying he is at total fault in the situation (no clue) but the situation has ruined the direction of the program and I don't think there is any way to recover.

In state recruiting would likely be a little better with Brandvold but he isn't going to land the AWA kids at much more of a consistency than Bono. Go with one of the Askrens or Becker if you want to secure the best talent in your home state. All of these guys can obviously coach a kid up but none of that is important if you don't get the talent in the door in the first place. The #1 priority has to be to start landing AWA wrestlers because that is where most of the D1 talent in the state is coming out of. I don't like what has happened with the negative recruiting against Wisconsin but the reality of the situation is that it isn't going to stop until a change is made.