As it stands..How can Bono remain?

Started by wrestler_73, May 08, 2023, 10:30:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrestler_73

Our only Division I program in the state has not been able to bring in almost any of the incredible talent over the past couple years in the state.  It may be unknown how far this talent will go in college, but I have never seen our Badger program not be able to pull in almost any of the blue chippers from Wisconsin.  I do not see it much better from outside of Wisconsin.  Blame can be shared by many for our current state of affairs.  I just don't see how Bono can overcome this and build a program above the bottom half of the big ten standings.  It is starting to feel like the BD era.

wrestle03

Its the Barry Davis era all over again.  This program is the same as it was under Barry Davis.  No one cares that you may have a couple hundred more people in the seats or the "atmosphere" is better - that dont result in wins.  This is a bottom tier program going nowhere fast.  Its a sad day when NO blue chip recruits want to commit to their hometown program.  That alone says alot about Bono and the leadership of the program.

wrastle63

Quote from: wrestle03 on May 08, 2023, 10:44:00 AMIts the Barry Davis era all over again. This program is the same as it was under Barry Davis.  No one cares that you may have a couple hundred more people in the seats or the "atmosphere" is better - that dont result in wins.  This is a bottom tier program going nowhere fast.  Its a sad day when NO blue chip recruits want to commit to their hometown program.  That alone says alot about Bono and the leadership of the program.
It is not the BD era. There is more excitement, passion, and wrestling knowledge as a state. The attendance and following of the Badger program is up. We are still getting great recruits from out of state and basically the same results from the BD era.

The problem is the talent coming out the state is growing and the number of kids going to Wisconsin is decreasing. Take the positive changes that Bono and Co have helped produce and move forward. Time for a change.

wrastle63

To add after this season we are losing Barnett and Austin Gomez. At this point unless someone makes a big jump we will have 1 returning AA in Hamiti and ZERO top 50 prospects since Hamiti and Amos came in. 

Hungus

thru 5 years

Davis  40-35-3  B1G 9-17-1  B1G champs-5  AA-10 NCAA Champs 1

Bono   41-28    B1G 15-26   B1G champs-2  AA-9  NCAA Champs 0

Any better....No
Running in place....Yes

You're killing me Smalls!!!

The Legend

Are you saying Barry's first 5 years was 40-35-3?  His last 5 years he was 39-28

mkm13

The next six months will tell a lot. The recruiting is currently in a terrible spot.  Having said that, we are a big 10 school so you would think we should be able to attract top talent.  If they can't, then it won't be long before a decision will need to be made to move on.

DocWrestling

Easy for a coach to recruit against the Badgers when another coach can say "even the kids in Wisconsin don't want to wrestle for Wisconsin"
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

vsmf2010

I do not advocate for coaches to be fired unless they are doing something illegal or unethical and as far as I know Bono is not or has not done any of that. I did not advocate that Barry Davis get fired and I feel the same way about Chris Bono. Not saying either way if he deserves to stay or go. I will support him while he is here and if we have a new coach next week, next month, next year etc.. I will support him as well.

My question for those of you who want him gone. What are you doing about it? Are you bringing up your concerns to Chris McIntosh? Can you reach him by phone or email? Can you show up at the athletic office and ask to see him? Are you reaching out to the biggest donors (have no idea who that would be) to express your feelings? Just curious because clearly some of you feel very strongly about this but I doubt there will be any traction from this forum.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Quote from: heavy9278 on May 08, 2023, 12:22:57 PMthru 5 years

Davis  40-35-3  B1G 9-17-1  B1G champs-5  AA-10 NCAA Champs 1

Bono   41-28    B1G 15-26   B1G champs-2  AA-9  NCAA Champs 0

Any better....No
Running in place....Yes

So Davis was 31-18 outside of the Big Ten and

Bono is 26-2 outside of the Big Ten?

And Penn State, Nebraska and Rutgers were not in the Big Ten years ago?
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

littleguy301

Quote from: DocWrestling on May 08, 2023, 02:21:58 PMEasy for a coach to recruit against the Badgers when another coach can say "even the kids in Wisconsin don't want to wrestle for Wisconsin"

You must have talked to a parent of a recruit?

Whether you believe me or not I have heard  basically the same thing from a D1 coach when talking about Wisconsin.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

littleguy301

I don't know much outside my little world.

How many kids actually did Bono get into the living room and sat down and got to talk to the recruits?

I know there was several decent recruits that never got one phone call or an Instagram like! That is pretty sad if you ask me. State champs that don't even get a simple phone call or text message from the state coach.

If Bono cannt reach out to top state kids why should any of them really want to stay in the home state.

littleguy301

Quote from: wrestle03 on May 08, 2023, 10:44:00 AMIts the Barry Davis era all over again.  This program is the same as it was under Barry Davis.  No one cares that you may have a couple hundred more people in the seats or the "atmosphere" is better - that dont result in wins.  This is a bottom tier program going nowhere fast.  Its a sad day when NO blue chip recruits want to commit to their hometown program.  That alone says alot about Bono and the leadership of the program.

At this point BD was at least out and about and talked with the states top kids. At least BD was in the living room of moat of the top kids.

PAUL

2023 has been a darn tough year all the way around.  I still have hope but I can see why many are discouraged, I know that I am.  I like that the Field House seems to have more excitement, though at the end of the day only consistent W's keep that going.  I think the coach will be around for a while, but it seems as though the program is really at a cross-roads and needs some good things to happen very soon.  It is hard to come back from a feeling of irrelevancy. 

littleguy301

Quote from: PAUL on May 08, 2023, 10:08:05 PM2023 has been a darn tough year all the way around.  I still have hope but I can see why many are discouraged, I know that I am.  I like that the Field House seems to have more excitement, though at the end of the day only consistent W's keep that going.  I think the coach will be around for a while, but it seems as though the program is really at a cross-roads and needs some good things to happen very soon.  It is hard to come back from a feeling of irrelevancy. 

I agree. I think the field house is getting better crowds and more chatter around the program.

I keep hearing the Badgers have the money but I am not sure if they really do. We are talking millions in order to compete with the big dogs! Millions not 20k a mouth situation. It is going to be difficult so Bono needs to get out and recruit and fund raise at the same time!