Should Bono have gotten an extension? WIwrestle Podcast

Started by JacobRaschka, April 25, 2023, 04:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigoil

Coach Bono like most UW coaches are on a perpetual 5 year deal and each spring they add one year. Google extension 2022. Agree the headline is wonky but in 2022 he was extended to 2027, thus the 2028.

I may have misheard you or Jacob but I thought I heard UW has none.

Ben and I had a private convo and I'll keep it at that. I hope you are right that he would come to the table but I thought he mentioned Coach Reader came to his house last year.  I also believe some of Ben's concerns may be addressed over that time period I stated. 

Nate Arquinego

Quote from: bigoil on April 27, 2023, 03:20:41 PMCoach Bono like most UW coaches are on a perpetual 5 year deal and each spring they add one year. Google extension 2022. Agree the headline is wonky but in 2022 he was extended to 2027, thus the 2028.

I may have misheard you or Jacob but I thought I heard UW has none.

Ben and I had a private convo and I'll keep it at that. I hope you are right that he would come to the table but I thought he mentioned Coach Reader came to his house last year.  I also believe some of Ben's concerns may be addressed over that time period I stated. 

Okay I understand, thank you. I'm chalking that up to a technicality because his contract is still 5 years then.

He did talk about meeting with Reader, but I believe as I stated on the pod is for the that specific relationship to be fixed it has to be done between the two, not others.

wrestling for fun

At minimum  we know the asst. coach cared about repairing the relationship and was unsuccessful as Ben was not satisfied with assurances given.
If this was important as it seems to be to the future of the program and Wisconsin wrestling in general, I would think the head coach would be the one who would initiate contact or follow up on it.  Maybe he did try  but with the lack of communication By one side about this subject, the vibes I get is the towel has been thrown in.

wrestling for fun

Quote from: wrestle03 on April 27, 2023, 11:10:58 AMBono cant recruit, period.  How many blue chip WI recruits has he lost?  Do we need to list all of them?  He may be a nice guy, but his ego is huge and he's done nothing in five years here.  If your satisfied with second to last place in the Big Ten lets sign him for another 10 years.
Im not so sure that "he cant recruit" is justified.  He landed a few nice recruits just not local.   Prior coach let quite a few get away too. It does trouble me he hasnt landed more quality recruits from Wisconsin and surrounding states.
I was excited when he was hired as he was one I hoping for. I guess I bought into the motivational speeches at the beginning but my hopes along with my support have slightly faded, but am still somewhat hopeful. This AWA ordeal has me wondering if his complete best interests are with total state of Wisconsin wrestling like he has said on many occasions. He has done good with youth clubs.  Ben's statement about the lack of positive experiences by wrestlers in the program is also troubling. Not sure if it is totally true, but all I have to go on. Lack of a legit RTC is not helping recruit as blue chippers want training partners.  Ben said they dont discourage Wisconsin kids from looking at UW, that they hear it from kids in the program.  This is quite troubling, if true.  Hindsight is 20-20, but I think with the AWA site and RTC coach, the head coach "looked a gift horse in the mouth".
He has raised excitement within the youth clubs and attendance shows that, but am wondering if it is largely do to the free admissions.  Regardless it is something not done before and is appreciated.
Ben had stated something to the effect of being childish or stubbornness on both sides and acknowledged the fact that  is not healthy for Wisconsin wrestling as a whole. 
Its time that this issue is put to bed.  Maybe a couple of the contributing supporters on here can help facilitate a meeting and help extend the olive branch since there seems to be some unknown obstacle.

Healthy and happy

Quote from: wrestle03 on April 27, 2023, 11:10:58 AMBono cant recruit, period.  How many blue chip WI recruits has he lost?  Do we need to list all of them?  He may be a nice guy, but his ego is huge and he's done nothing in five years here.  If your satisfied with second to last place in the Big Ten lets sign him for another 10 years.
Did we already forget about last year, the 21-22 season???
UW finished 12-2 overall and 6-2 in the conference good for 4th place beating 6 ranked team.  Does he deserve any credit for that or are we only posting negative things?

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

Vir Fortis

Quote from: novice wrestler on April 27, 2023, 08:22:27 AM
Quote from: Coach V on April 26, 2023, 07:37:10 AMShould be a short podcast, maybe shortest ever..... Yes, podcast over.  ;D
I heard a portion of Mr Raschka's podcast and not sure of his point. 
Jacob, you have a history in this sport and we will assume you had aspirations and goals while at Missouri. I assume you worked hard, made sacrifices and tough decisions. Did everything you could to succeed in trying to be an AA and maybe even a National Champion, like your mentor.  Unfortunately you did not reach those goals.
Coach Bono has lofty goals and aspirations for the UW wrestling program  and I assume he wishes he reached those goals by now.  No different than you. Sometimes things don't go as hoped, kinda the nature of competitive athletics.
Maybe you could afford the same respect to him that you are given when you came up short of your goals? Probably wishful thinking but I think many folks would just would like to see some humility in this situation

We're talking about the HC at a D1 Athletic program. I think a LOT of what Badgerone says about athletes is tacky, classless and out of bounds, but I think this is a perfectly reasonable topic.

My answer would be...no, but they give them to everyone and they're eating how many millions on Chryst?

Bono has to show something and it can't just be Rowley and some of our top recruits getting poached.

Love that Liegal is coming to UW. Think he could have had a really nice career at D1 had he chosen to come straight from HS, but that's 1 year.
Estrada looks like a stud.

You have "the Askren problem." Or AWA or whatever. It's worth debating if he needs to be extended through '28 RIGHT NOW and if maybe you should try and poach a certain coach from Racine(Kenosha?...wherever Parkside is exactly).

It's not like it's anyone who's a decision maker asking the question. This is the type of stuff that makes podcasts interesting. This is the type of content I'd pay to listen to...if it was like the Athletic(20-30 a month is too much for me).

BadgerOne

Quote from: Vir Fortis on April 28, 2023, 04:17:25 PM
Quote from: novice wrestler on April 27, 2023, 08:22:27 AM
Quote from: Coach V on April 26, 2023, 07:37:10 AMShould be a short podcast, maybe shortest ever..... Yes, podcast over.  ;D
I heard a portion of Mr Raschka's podcast and not sure of his point. 
Jacob, you have a history in this sport and we will assume you had aspirations and goals while at Missouri. I assume you worked hard, made sacrifices and tough decisions. Did everything you could to succeed in trying to be an AA and maybe even a National Champion, like your mentor.  Unfortunately you did not reach those goals.
Coach Bono has lofty goals and aspirations for the UW wrestling program  and I assume he wishes he reached those goals by now.  No different than you. Sometimes things don't go as hoped, kinda the nature of competitive athletics.
Maybe you could afford the same respect to him that you are given when you came up short of your goals? Probably wishful thinking but I think many folks would just would like to see some humility in this situation

We're talking about the HC at a D1 Athletic program. I think a LOT of what Badgerone says about athletes is tacky, classless and out of bounds, but I think this is a perfectly reasonable topic.

My answer would be...no, but they give them to everyone and they're eating how many millions on Chryst?

Bono has to show something and it can't just be Rowley and some of our top recruits getting poached.

Love that Liegal is coming to UW. Think he could have had a really nice career at D1 had he chosen to come straight from HS, but that's 1 year.
Estrada looks like a stud.

You have "the Askren problem." Or AWA or whatever. It's worth debating if he needs to be extended through '28 RIGHT NOW and if maybe you should try and poach a certain coach from Racine(Kenosha?...wherever Parkside is exactly).

It's not like it's anyone who's a decision maker asking the question. This is the type of stuff that makes podcasts interesting. This is the type of content I'd pay to listen to...if it was like the Athletic(20-30 a month is too much for me).
ViraFortis, you are the one making personal attacks and so your comments would apply to you.  Do a little self examination and don't get bent out of shape if someone questions how "great" the recruits are as I've done and will continue to do as I share my candid thoughts rather than pile on with some pavlovian response after the Bono "Great Day to be a Baders" applause sign comes on.  Classless and out of bonds, ok whatever, you say, but, you are being just a tool!

head57

I agree that calling this a five-year extension is misleading. They aren't committing to him for 5 years. Only thing that matters for that purpose is the buyout commitment. As has been mentioned above, this is standard practice for university coaches. Each spring coaches are given that 5th year added on, primarily so they can tell kids who might be there for five years that they will be their coach for the duration. A lame duck coach have a inappropriate term3 of a time recruiting.
thats the bottom line
On Wisconsin!

wrestlemania

"Bono received a ONE year extension, just like he did last year, and the year before that."

Coaches are given one-year extensions as a matter of course, because unless you are unhappy with their performance, you give extensions to let high school athletes know the same coach is going to be there for a while.