Laird Root

Started by Harris, April 27, 2023, 01:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harris

Laird Root decommitted from the Badgers.  He is a class of 2023 recruit from the same school as Brock Bobzien (Poway).  He lost to another Badger recruit, Miguel Estrada class of of 24, in the CA state finals this year.  Estrada is a 2X CA state champ his sophomore and junior years with one year left.

Laird Root posted this on Instagram:

After many hours talking with coaches, friends, family, and thinking on my own, I have decided to instead commit to the University of North Carolina!

I would first like to say thank you to everyone at Wisconsin for providing me with everything I needed and being nothing but helpful and respectful. That being said, UNC is ultimately a better fit for me, my family, and my future.

Anyways, I'm extremely blessed for this opportunity and cannot wait for what the future has for me! 🐏💠
#goheels

https://www.instagram.com/laird_root/

mkm13

Not ideal, but better to happen now than later.  A good recruit, but IMO not an elite level recruit at this point at the big 10 level.  He is lower rated than all 6 of PSU's recruits they have lined up (not counting the 3 high end transfers they also just got this offseason). 

Ultimately good to happen now so the coaching staff can reallocate the scholarship money.  Now it is on them to get some top kids to commit.  With Laird and Rowley out, the last 2 recruiting classes are very poor for big 10 standards.

BadgerOne

Quote from: mkm13 on April 27, 2023, 01:54:37 PMNot ideal, but better to happen now than later.  A good recruit, but IMO not an elite level recruit at this point at the big 10 level.  He is lower rated than all 6 of PSU's recruits they have lined up (not counting the 3 high end transfers they also just got this offseason). 

Ultimately good to happen now so the coaching staff can reallocate the scholarship money.  Now it is on them to get some top kids to commit.  With Laird and Rowley out, the last 2 recruiting classes are very poor for big 10 standards.

Rowley is Class of 2022 and Laird Root is class of 2024, and 2023 is also a weak class by Big Ten Standards as it consists of George and Condon, neither of who I'd call elite but dart throw prospects.    While 2024 has not gotten off to a great start, there is still time.   So far high end talent in the Class of 2024 that some had hoped for like Davino, Mirasola, Sinclair have committed elsewhere but Hopke, Dillan Johnson and Ferrari remain uncommitted.  With the decommit and Rowley's departure adding to the coffers, Bono should have enough scholarship money to give at least two full rides, if the opportunity to land two elite prospects presents itself.

rjchev141

Quote from: Harris on April 27, 2023, 01:42:51 PMLaird Root decommitted from the Badgers.  He is a class of 2023 recruit from the same school as Brock Bobzien (Poway).  He lost to another Badger recruit, Miguel Estrada class of of 24, in the CA state finals this year.  Estrada is a 2X CA state champ his sophomore and junior years with one year left.

Laird Root posted this on Instagram:

After many hours talking with coaches, friends, family, and thinking on my own, I have decided to instead commit to the University of North Carolina!

I would first like to say thank you to everyone at Wisconsin for providing me with everything I needed and being nothing but helpful and respectful. That being said, UNC is ultimately a better fit for me, my family, and my future.

Anyways, I'm extremely blessed for this opportunity and cannot wait for what the future has for me! 🐏💠
#goheels

https://www.instagram.com/laird_root/

Any news on Brock Bobzien?

wrestle03

Neither Hopke or Ferrarri are coming to Wisconsin and Johnson will be playing football.

Vir Fortis

This sucks. This is not good news. Root was a GOOD prospect. He beat #3 Parco to get to the finals and it's real easy to see he and Estrada going different weights. Estrada is built like a tank, but he's got more of a Bono build. Root could have been a nice '57.

And then losing Rowley?

Hopke seems destined for Minnesota or PSU, though I certainly hope not.

BadgerOne

Quote from: BadgerOne on April 29, 2023, 03:42:40 PM
Quote from: Vir Fortis on April 28, 2023, 04:11:03 PMThis sucks. This is not good news. Root was a GOOD prospect. He beat #3 Parco to get to the finals and it's real easy to see he and Estrada going different weights. Estrada is built like a tank, but he's got more of a Bono build. Root could have been a nice '57.

And then losing Rowley?

What a negative Nancy, you are ViraFortis!  This is great news! Free up scholly money and get rid of the malcontents and we still got a shot at Hopke!  And try not to be such a douche!

littleguy301

Quote from: BadgerOne on April 29, 2023, 03:44:54 PM
Quote from: Vir Fortis on April 28, 2023, 04:11:03 PMThis sucks. This is not good news. Root was a GOOD prospect. He beat #3 Parco to get to the finals and it's real easy to see he and Estrada going different weights. Estrada is built like a tank, but he's got more of a Bono build. Root could have been a nice '57.

And then losing Rowley?

What a negative Nancy, you are ViraFortis!  This is great news! Free up scholly money and get rid of the malcontents and we still got a shot at Hopke!  And try not to be such a douche!

What are you.going to give hopke 2 scholarships? I would think they have one ready for hopke already.

It would be nice.to have a couple more blue chippers come in. It looks like there is a couple of.verbals so it is all good.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Vir Fortis

Quote from: BadgerOne on April 29, 2023, 03:44:54 PM

And then losing Rowley?

The irony here.

The scholarship money that you...being at Cal Poly, had no idea about?

But yes, I'm being a douche by saying it's NOT good news to get one of the top Wrestlers in the Country ::)

Bud, ya left. Is Pomona really that bad, you feel the need to sit here like a scorned ex?