Should Bono have gotten an extension? WIwrestle Podcast

Started by JacobRaschka, April 25, 2023, 04:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JacobRaschka

Tomorrow we will be discussing the contract extension for Coach Bono. Tune in live at 10am on rokfin or facebook to hear our thoughts.

Tell us how you feel in the comments!

Numbers

Hard to believe this would even be a topic.  Wisconsin had AA talent at half the weight classes this year.  Do you not value Seth Gross?  How many better light weight coaches are out there?

A much better topic would be wrestlers with Wisconsin ties wresting in Vegas this weekend. 

mike

Quote from: Numbers on April 25, 2023, 08:55:31 PMHard to believe this would even be a topic.  Wisconsin had AA talent at half the weight classes this year.  Do you not value Seth Gross?  How many better light weight coaches are out there?

A much better topic would be wrestlers with Wisconsin ties wresting in Vegas this weekend. 
They previewed the US Open today

Coach V

Should be a short podcast, maybe shortest ever..... Yes, podcast over.  ;D
You dont wrestle,your a wrestler

wrestling for fun

Quote from: Numbers on April 25, 2023, 08:55:31 PMHard to believe this would even be a topic.  Wisconsin had AA talent at half the weight classes this year.  Do you not value Seth Gross?  How many better light weight coaches are out there?

Seth is an outstanding person and role model, had a unique style that was successful for him.  Not too sure lightweights have had measureable developement under his time there. 

Healthy and happy

Quote from: Coach V on April 26, 2023, 07:37:10 AMShould be a short podcast, maybe shortest ever..... Yes, podcast over.  ;D
I heard a portion of Mr Raschka's podcast and not sure of his point. 
Jacob, you have a history in this sport and we will assume you had aspirations and goals while at Missouri. I assume you worked hard, made sacrifices and tough decisions. Did everything you could to succeed in trying to be an AA and maybe even a National Champion, like your mentor.  Unfortunately you did not reach those goals.
Coach Bono has lofty goals and aspirations for the UW wrestling program  and I assume he wishes he reached those goals by now.  No different than you. Sometimes things don't go as hoped, kinda the nature of competitive athletics.
Maybe you could afford the same respect to him that you are given when you came up short of your goals? Probably wishful thinking but I think many folks would just would like to see some humility in this situation

The Legend

Quote from: novice wrestler on April 27, 2023, 08:22:27 AM
Quote from: Coach V on April 26, 2023, 07:37:10 AMShould be a short podcast, maybe shortest ever..... Yes, podcast over.  ;D
Jacob, you have a history in this sport and we will assume you had aspirations and goals while at Missouri. I assume you worked hard, made sacrifices and tough decisions. Did everything you could to succeed in trying to be an AA and maybe even a National Champion, like your mentor.  Unfortunately you did not reach those goals.
Coach Bono has lofty goals and aspirations for the UW wrestling program  and I assume he wishes he reached those goals by now.  No different than you. Sometimes things don't go as hoped, kinda the nature of competitive athletics.
Maybe you could afford the same respect to him that you are given when you came up short of your goals? Probably wishful thinking but I think many folks would just would like to see some humility in this situation

Maybe you don't quite understand that Bono's situation is much different in where he is making twice what Davis made as a salary and is being paid to do a job.  Rashka was a student likely on little to no money.  Not the same at all!

Healthy and happy

Quote from: The Legend on April 27, 2023, 09:05:12 AM

Maybe you don't quite understand that Bono's situation is much different in where he is making twice what Davis made as a salary and is being paid to do a job.  Rashka was a student likely on little to no money.  Not the same at all!
I think you are missing my point.  It is about integrity, taking pride in your work and trying to reach your goals. Now if you want to talk about money where does Bono's salary compare to Sanderson, Brands, Ryan, Manning, etc etc.   Not interested in bringing money into the equation, its about what is inside the person

The Legend

No, the topic is contract extension this post is all about money.  Are you trolling?

The Legend

Quote from: The Legend on April 27, 2023, 09:31:12 AMNo, the topic is contract extension this post is all about money.  Are you trolling?
I should say it's at least in part about money the other is results. Not what is inside the person.  If that were the case Barry Davis would still be the head coach!

asdf

This article is a great objective, numerical look at this years NCAA performance, with links to past years.  Includes comparisons by state, geopgraphical areas, and alot more.

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/10778346-2023-ncaa-championships-by-the-numbers

The last graphic in the article is a "heat graphic" of NCAA points by athletes hometown.  Clearly Bono inability to recruit in not only WI, but MN and IA is a huge knock to the program. 

JacobRaschka

Being critical of performance is crucial for any sort of progression towards a goal. Coming up short is something that happens, no shame in that. The topic of discussion was if we were happy to see a five year contract extension. After evaluating the results the Badgers have had under Bono I am not pumped about it. Any job regardless of if you are a coach or any other professions you get evaluated on your performance. I do not think I came across as disrespectful in any manner.

wrestle03

Bono cant recruit, period.  How many blue chip WI recruits has he lost?  Do we need to list all of them?  He may be a nice guy, but his ego is huge and he's done nothing in five years here.  If your satisfied with second to last place in the Big Ten lets sign him for another 10 years.

bigoil

Quote from: JacobRaschka on April 27, 2023, 11:07:07 AM

Being critical of performance is crucial for any sort of progression towards a goal. Coming up short is something that happens, no shame in that. The topic of discussion was if we were happy to see a five year contract extension. After evaluating the results the Badgers have had under Bono I am not pumped about it. Any job regardless of if you are a coach or any other professions you get evaluated on your performance. I do not think I came across as disrespectful in any manner.

A) He did not get a five year extension, you said it several times in the podcast and I was thinking maybe you just misspoke but seeing it in writing, you clearly don't understand what transpired.  Bono received a ONE year extension, just like he did last year, and the year before that.

B) you state UW has no NIL money, what's your source?

C) askren seemed open to talking? He stated I will be here longer than Bono. I hope you are right but I'm not sure about that based on conversations with Ben, I'm not sure though I do think in a year and a half there could be an opener.

Nate Arquinego

Quote from: bigoil on April 27, 2023, 01:23:41 PM
Quote from: JacobRaschka on April 27, 2023, 11:07:07 AM

A) He did not get a five year extension, you said it several times in the podcast and I was thinking maybe you just misspoke but seeing it in writing, you clearly don't understand what transpired.  Bono received a ONE year extension, just like he did last year, and the year before that.

B) you state UW has no NIL money, what's your source?

C) askren seemed open to talking? He stated I will be here longer than Bono. I hope you are right but I'm not sure about that based on conversations with Ben, I'm not sure though I do think in a year and a half there could be an opener.

A. I suppose it is possible that we misunderstood the extension, however I provided a link to the badgers instagram that clearly says "contract extended 2028". https://www.instagram.com/p/CrWbWPfuSon/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

B. Saying UW has no NIL is not based on a source it is a response to the forum and one of the comments in the chat during the podcast where individuals are saying they need NIL money or a business partner for this. I don't know if they have a none, a little or a lot of NIL money but it has been a topic from some that they need it to compete with others.

C. Ben did say he was open to talking on the podcast and many other times before publicly. I can't and won't speak for Ben but I'm guessing his statement about being here longer has a lot to do with him living/growing up in Wisconsin with no intentions of leaving or closing his club. Did Ben tell you something else in conversations? Also, what did you mean by "in a year in a half could be an opener"? My small brain struggled with that one.