Rowley in the portal

Started by vsmf2010, April 24, 2023, 11:39:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vsmf2010

Just saw on flo that Rowley is in the portal

No One Cares

Quote from: vsmf2010 on April 24, 2023, 11:39:32 AMJust saw on flo that Rowley is in the portal

Just went to grocery and grabbed some microwave popcorn to enjoy the spin show to commence.   

mkm13

Unfortunate it did not work out.  Having said that, he was 8-8 last year and appeared to have a long ways to go to make an impact in the big 10.

I believe Askren said at one point last year Otto was beating him as well.  Who knows if that is still true.

Either way, hope he finds success somewhere.

Rowley leaving basically cements the last recruiting class as being very poor.  The last 2 recruiting classes have been more typical of the types of recruits Davis was getting, except we now can't recruit WI kids for the most part.

wrastle63

I am ready for a change. Not because Bono and co haven't improved the Badgers, but because AWA is going nowhere and is improving overall. If we had Buchanan, O'Toole, Keckeisen, and Mocco to go along with Barnett we would be looking at a easy team trophy this year. Look at the WI kids that are leaving Whiting, Mirasola x2, Messenbrink, Sinclair, Hopke, etc. I agree with the posters about needing to support, but Pinnacle and AWA aren't supporting UW. The 2 best local clubs, and in general the state of Wisconsin's wrestlers are going elsewhere.

If one of the AWA guys was the coach we wouldn't have that.

The Legend

Probably took his Scholey money to give to someone else in the portal.

littleguy301

Quote from: No One Cares on April 24, 2023, 11:52:22 AM
Quote from: vsmf2010 on April 24, 2023, 11:39:32 AMJust saw on flo that Rowley is in the portal

Just went to grocery and grabbed some microwave popcorn to enjoy the spin show to commence.   

;D

I shouldn't comment but cutting him down to 174 probably wasn't a great idea since they wanted recruited him as 184/197 so I read. Sometimes stuff doesn't work out and beat of luck to him in the future.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

rjchev141

I wonder if the recent transfer had anything to do with this?

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Quote from: rjchev141 on April 24, 2023, 08:57:54 PMI wonder if the recent transfer had anything to do with this?

I was wondering that myself. Rowley could have still competed for the job at 184 and forced Liegel to 197 and Amos to Heavyweight,

Tal-shahar (and Empey perhaps) are options at 197 but need to improve in the off season,
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

BadgerOne

B
Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on April 25, 2023, 09:37:22 AM
Quote from: rjchev141 on April 24, 2023, 08:57:54 PMI wonder if the recent transfer had anything to do with this?

I was wondering that myself. Rowley could have still competed for the job at 184 and forced Liegel to 197 and Amos to Heavyweight,

Tal-shahar (and Empey perhaps) are options at 197 but need to improve in the off season,

LOL at the thought of Rowley forcing Braxton to move up.  Now that Hilger has graduated, I suspect Braxton can beat anyone in the room at 184 and above easily.  Braxton will decide what weight he wants to wrestle next year, though I suspect Bono could influence that decision.  Unless Bono is going back to the portal, there will be holes at whatever upper weights that Braxton and Dean aren't wrestling.  Hopefully, the hole at heavyweight is only a one year thing as Hopke is on his way.  I heard he may announce this spring.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Quote from: BadgerOne on April 25, 2023, 10:21:10 AMB
Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on April 25, 2023, 09:37:22 AM

LOL at the thought of Rowley forcing Braxton to move up.  Now that Hilger has graduated, I suspect Braxton can beat anyone in the room at 184 and above easily.  Braxton will decide what weight he wants to wrestle next year, though I suspect Bono could influence that decision.  Unless Bono is going back to the portal, there will be holes at whatever upper weights that Braxton and Dean aren't wrestling.  Hopefully, the hole at heavyweight is only a one year thing as Hopke is on his way.  I heard he may announce this spring.

Amos is probably moving to heavyweight.
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

Ghetto

Wish him success. Doesn't always work the way everyone wants it to.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Healthy and happy

Quote from: wrastle63 on April 24, 2023, 01:03:45 PMI am ready for a change. Not because Bono and co haven't improved the Badgers, but because AWA is going nowhere and is improving overall. If we had Buchanan, O'Toole, Keckeisen, and Mocco to go along with Barnett we would be looking at a easy team trophy this year. Look at the WI kids that are leaving Whiting, Mirasola x2, Messenbrink, Sinclair, Hopke, etc. I agree with the posters about needing to support, but Pinnacle and AWA aren't supporting UW. The 2 best local clubs, and in general the state of Wisconsin's wrestlers are going elsewhere.

Well..since you seem to think we wouldn't have this with Ben as a coach, lets flip the script and do a little exercise in assessing the outcome of AWA over the last 10 years that Ben has been bashing Davis and Bono

On the Division I level, success is largely determined by how many points you can score and place as a team in the NCAA tournament (and a slightly smaller degree in the Big Ten tournament).  With that at a reference point, lets look back at the D1 AA success of AWA.
Conservatively (correct me if my numbers are way off) but let say that AWA has had 300+ kids come through their multiple sites youth program from 2014-2023.  In this 10 year window how many AA's have trained at AWA?  To the best of my recollection, I come up with three:  O'Toole, Keickheisen (two absolute studs) and Mocco this year.  So, three out of 300+ kids equates out to less than 1%.  And in the 5 year window of 2014-2019, that number is 0%
Humm... not sure that this could be considered a successful production, at a D1 level. 

kmoc33

Quote from: novice wrestler on April 26, 2023, 10:14:43 AM
Quote from: wrastle63 on April 24, 2023, 01:03:45 PMI am ready for a change. Not because Bono and co haven't improved the Badgers, but because AWA is going nowhere and is improving overall. If we had Buchanan, O'Toole, Keckeisen, and Mocco to go along with Barnett we would be looking at a easy team trophy this year. Look at the WI kids that are leaving Whiting, Mirasola x2, Messenbrink, Sinclair, Hopke, etc. I agree with the posters about needing to support, but Pinnacle and AWA aren't supporting UW. The 2 best local clubs, and in general the state of Wisconsin's wrestlers are going elsewhere.

Well..since you seem to think we wouldn't have this with Ben as a coach, lets flip the script and do a little exercise in assessing the outcome of AWA over the last 10 years that Ben has been bashing Davis and Bono

On the Division I level, success is largely determined by how many points you can score and place as a team in the NCAA tournament (and a slightly smaller degree in the Big Ten tournament).  With that at a reference point, lets look back at the D1 AA success of AWA.
Conservatively (correct me if my numbers are way off) but let say that AWA has had 300+ kids come through their multiple sites youth program from 2014-2023.  In this 10 year window how many AA's have trained at AWA?  To the best of my recollection, I come up with three:  O'Toole, Keickheisen (two absolute studs) and Mocco this year.  So, three out of 300+ kids equates out to less than 1%.  And in the 5 year window of 2014-2019, that number is 0%
Humm... not sure that this could be considered a successful production, at a D1 level. 

very interesting points you bring up. data can be interpreted many ways. First I think these numbers will sky rocket in the next 10 but that is an opinion. Also you start by saying scoring points, and you can score points even if you dont AA. 

Nationally there are 247,000 wrestlers, and 1% of those end up at D1 schools
So that means roughly 2,474 kids are wrestling d1
of those 80 AA

so if AWA is getting almost 4% of the AA, that seems like a pretty big number to me

Healthy and happy

Quote from: kmoc33 on April 26, 2023, 01:03:38 PM
Quote from: novice wrestler on April 26, 2023, 10:14:43 AM

very interesting points you bring up. data can be interpreted many ways. First I think these numbers will sky rocket in the next 10 but that is an opinion. Also you start by saying scoring points, and you can score points even if you dont AA. 

Nationally there are 247,000 wrestlers, and 1% of those end up at D1 schools
So that means roughly 2,474 kids are wrestling d1
of those 80 AA

so if AWA is getting almost 4% of the AA, that seems like a pretty big number to me
True you don't have to be an AA to score points.  Five or six guys scoring 2 to 4 points isn't going to getting it done!!  The big points and ultimate success comes from how many AA's you have per year.  Ben has been questioning the success at UW for 10 years so that decade is the reference point.  That means there has be 800 AA in the past 10 years and 3 AA are from AWA.  That is well below .01 %, so again you can argue that is not really successful

The real point for this is show that you need to be careful on how much you bash someone else's success when your record of success really isn't that stellar.  "People who live is glass houses shouldn't throw stones"