Great day to be a Badger!

Started by crossface21, April 20, 2023, 05:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vsmf2010

Quote from: bigoil on April 21, 2023, 10:35:25 AM
Quote from: fightfightfight on April 21, 2023, 10:05:28 AMIt was Shane Liegel, grad transfer. He announced it this morning. Excited to see him back in Wisconsin.
That's awesome.

Should slot in nicely at 184

BadgerOne

Quote from: fightfightfight on April 21, 2023, 10:05:28 AMIt was Shane Liegel, grad transfer. He announced it this morning. Excited to see him back in Wisconsin.
That's awesome.

Great, Awesome??  Pretty underwhelming to sign a D3 guy with one year of eligibility and announce it to the world as "great", even if he's a top D3 guy.  Bono's recruiting continues to underwhelm with 2024 offering up so many opportunities with the best Wisconsin class ever, and 5 of top 10 guys having visited, but Bono keeps whiffing.  I hope he's a walk-on as there is no reason to tie up scholarship money on D3 talent and non-elite prospects.  Wish Bono would just stop with the "great" posts as it just hurts his credibility and play it low key like all the other Big Ten coaches.

BadgerOne

Quote from: vsmf2010 on April 21, 2023, 10:53:23 AM
That's awesome.

So he replaces Tyler Dow for one year, and then he's gone.   I don't see him with a winning record against Big Ten competition and a big longshot to AA.  He's brought in like Weiler and McNally to try to help win a few duels against weak competition.  I just don't think this is the type of move that helps the program in the long term.

vsmf2010

Quote from: BadgerOne on April 21, 2023, 11:06:31 AM
Quote from: vsmf2010 on April 21, 2023, 10:53:23 AM
That's awesome.

So he replaces Tyler Dow for one year, and then he's gone.   I don't see him with a winning record against Big Ten competition and a big longshot to AA.  He's brought in like Weiler and McNally to try to help win a few duels against weak competition.  I just don't think this is the type of move that helps the program in the long term.

They are trying to improve at every weight wherever they can and improve the depth. I suspect he will be the best 184 they have for next year and if he not he will not be in the lineup. They are definitely lacking at 184 and this should help some. Was one of their biggest question marks for the upcoming season. I agree not a long term solution.

bigoil

Awesome to see a WI kid come home!

Also, Liegel is a D3 finalist, losing to Shinhoster, who took 2nd at Midlands, who beat Saldano 7-0.

mkm13

Obviously not a guy a top big 10 school should throw much scholarship $ to, but good to have on the roster.  Will probably have a rough go of it against top guys in the big 10 similar to Dow.

npope

What I think is disappointing here is that the dynamics in play create a negative vibe for Liegel's return to Wisconsin. Geezz, Bono is between a rock and a hard place with his "Great Day to be a Badger!" schtick - do it once and you are obligated to do it for every recruit coming in. If he decided some recruits weren't worthy of the announcement then he would be under-cutting their respective moment in the sun - and do it for everyone and he gets a bunch of forum cowboys grumbling because he didn't recruit the "second-coming."

Liegel shows up as perhaps the best shot for 184 for the Badgers next year and he is personally picked apart by posters as "not being enough."

Please, just have a little maturity and grace and give a kid some space; he's stepping up and challenging himself. I for one applaud him and appreciate him bringing his talent back to Wisconsin. Have a great season!
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

bigoil

Spot on Nat! And let's let him prove he's all that, because it seems he has it in him.

Rutgers - Boom! UNI - It's always a great day when you add to the family.  #PantherTrain

I agree, it's a Great day to be a Badger.  He doesn't say I have a commitment from the #1 kid in the nation, he says the same thing every time. It means we are adding to the Badger family.

Healthy and happy

Quote from: npope on April 21, 2023, 01:22:25 PMWhat I think is disappointing here is that the dynamics in play create a negative vibe for Liegel's return to Wisconsin. Geezz, Bono is between a rock and a hard place with his "Great Day to be a Badger!" schtick - do it once and you are obligated to do it for every recruit coming in. If he decided some recruits weren't worthy of the announcement then he would be under-cutting their respective moment in the sun - and do it for everyone and he gets a bunch of forum cowboys grumbling because he didn't recruit the "second-coming."

Liegel shows up as perhaps the best shot for 184 for the Badgers next year and he is personally picked apart by posters as "not being enough."

Please, just have a little maturity and grace and give a kid some space; he's stepping up and challenging himself. I for one applaud him and appreciate him bringing his talent back to Wisconsin. Have a great season!

Probably best to stop taking in credence in what Badger One has to say, take it for what it is worth

Ghetto

Quote from: npope on April 21, 2023, 01:22:25 PMWhat I think is disappointing here is that the dynamics in play create a negative vibe for Liegel's return to Wisconsin. Geezz, Bono is between a rock and a hard place with his "Great Day to be a Badger!" schtick - do it once and you are obligated to do it for every recruit coming in. If he decided some recruits weren't worthy of the announcement then he would be under-cutting their respective moment in the sun - and do it for everyone and he gets a bunch of forum cowboys grumbling because he didn't recruit the "second-coming."

Forum: Let's bring in Wisconsin kids

Badgers: Here we go! Here's a Wisconsin kid. Family from the state, had great success in HS and was a D3 finalist.

Forum: NO. Not that kid
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

leg turk

I believe Liegel won it all last year, or the year before. He will make a great addition to the team. Good for him.

mkm13

The issue is not Liegel. The issue is many posters know to be better than an 8-10th at best big 10 team, we need better recruits.

BuckyMatt

I'm excited for Liegel!  The top 184 pounders at D3 have shown they can compete with the top 184 pounders in D1 as evidenced by Shinnhoster!  Liegel is right up there!

Let's see what the 4th Liegel to put the W on his chest can do!

And many wrestling coaches (and now Luke Fickel) have a bat signal to alert of new recruits!  As Big Oil said, it's a great day anytime you add a high quality kid to the team!

Ledger

It's actually a great day to be a D3 184 lber LOL

mike