Angelo Ferrari

Started by vsmf2010, March 31, 2023, 10:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vsmf2010

I saw on the Iowa forum that Angelo Ferrari was visiting the UW this weekend. Does anyone know if that is true?

wrestle_4ever

It ain't the six minutes...it's what happens in that six minutes

vsmf2010

asdf

UW no longer in top three per Flo.

wrestle_4ever

Angelo to Iowa this evening.

NCAA wrestling has now become Penn St vs. The Ferrari's. Welcome to the show.

harley25

Quote from: wrestle_4ever on May 31, 2023, 11:11:42 PMAngelo to Iowa this evening.

Do you honestly think they will remain eligible?

leg turk

Quote from: harley25 on June 01, 2023, 08:02:07 AM
Quote from: wrestle_4ever on May 31, 2023, 11:11:42 PMAngelo to Iowa this evening.

At Iowa? Yes

wrestle_4ever

I hope not harley. At the same time, tho, they seem to be the last hope against the blue and white

Vir Fortis

Quote from: wrestle_4ever on June 01, 2023, 11:57:51 AM

I hope not harley. At the same time, tho, they seem to be the last hope against the blue and white

There is no hope against Penn State. At least not in the short term. They're adding guys like the Mirasola brothers who...aren't even the highest rated recruits at their own weight. And we all know how good they are, but they went there to take on the challenges of winning spots with SO much incoming talent like Ryder, Sealey, Barr among others.

Haines, a returning runner up as a True Freshmen. Last time he stepped foot on a mat with Mitchell Mesenbrink, I believe Mesenbrink beat him the first two in a 2 out of 3 for the U20 World Championships(where he took a silver).

And again, they seemingly stole Cornell's next generation of stars(minus Shapiro) with the Gibson brothers who are close to the Bassetts(their cousins).

They're recruiting right now is just so far beyond anyone else and they generally get the most out of the kids they have. Plus, they had 3 Freshmen last year who went 3rd, 2nd and DNP at the deepest, toughest weight in Van Ness, Haines and Facundo.

Don't know what's gonna happen in 4-5 years, but unless Cael, Cunningham and the NLWC all just stop developing Wrestlers, this looks like a team that could easily have 10 AAs and 5 or more guys challenging for NCs.

I forgot about Luke Lillendahl, Kasak and others. They're recruiting elite Wrestlers at 2 deep at each weight.

https://nittanysportsnow.com/2023/05/penn-state-wrestling-recruiting-a-breakdown-of-2023-24-commits/

Troy Grindle

The issue with Penn State is going to be that kids will leave after a couple of years if they see the writing on the wall of not being able to crack the lineup.

So there will be kids to pickup on transfer or will want to move closer to home.  Kids who are that talented will not want to wrestle out their career as backups if they think they can AA somewhere else.  It has already happened with their former 197 and 285.
And then there was that.

MNbadger

I think you'll see plenty of wrestlers content to stay there for the money as back ups. 
Quote from: Vir Fortis on June 02, 2023, 11:50:41 PM

There is no hope against Penn State. At least not in the short term. They're adding guys like the Mirasola brothers who...aren't even the highest rated recruits at their own weight. And we all know how good they are, but they went there to take on the challenges of winning spots with SO much incoming talent like Ryder, Sealey, Barr among others.

Haines, a returning runner up as a True Freshmen. Last time he stepped foot on a mat with Mitchell Mesenbrink, I believe Mesenbrink beat him the first two in a 2 out of 3 for the U20 World Championships(where he took a silver).

And again, they seemingly stole Cornell's next generation of stars(minus Shapiro) with the Gibson brothers who are close to the Bassetts(their cousins).

They're recruiting right now is just so far beyond anyone else and they generally get the most out of the kids they have. Plus, they had 3 Freshmen last year who went 3rd, 2nd and DNP at the deepest, toughest weight in Van Ness, Haines and Facundo.

Don't know what's gonna happen in 4-5 years, but unless Cael, Cunningham and the NLWC all just stop developing Wrestlers, this looks like a team that could easily have 10 AAs and 5 or more guys challenging for NCs.

I forgot about Luke Lillendahl, Kasak and others. They're recruiting elite Wrestlers at 2 deep at each weight.

https://nittanysportsnow.com/2023/05/penn-state-wrestling-recruiting-a-breakdown-of-2023-24-commits/
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

Vir Fortis

Quote from: MNbadger on June 03, 2023, 11:53:30 AMI think you'll see plenty of wrestlers content to stay there for the money as back ups. 

I don't think so. We just saw them lose a Freshmen AA when he lost his spot in the lineup when Dean came in(Beard to Lehigh).

I'm sure some will, but I REALLY doubt you're going to see all those kids from '65 up sticking around if they've got kids in their own class or a year ahead of them knocking them off.

But perhaps you're right.

BadgerOne

125 has been a weak spot since Suriano left.  Robbie Howard can't stay healthy and their backups have been weak.  They brought in McHenry, but I don't think he is likely to AA.  Hopefully, Robbie Howard can get healthy or they can find someone to takeover that spot.  While their recruiting has been good, they may be hard pressed to get the 5 titlists they had when they had Nick Lee, RBY, Brooks, Starocci and Dean once all of them move on.  Meanwhile, Iowa looks to land the three Ferraris and has a potential future champ in Gabe Arnold.  If PSU is unlucky with injuries or development, they could potentially lose to Iowa.  I hope not as I like PSU more than Iowa, but Iowa has a corral of real horses now and they have a lot of money to throw around to entice transfers, so it would be foolish to ever count them out.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: BadgerOne on June 05, 2023, 05:03:31 PM

125 has been a weak spot since Suriano left.  Robbie Howard can't stay healthy and their backups have been weak.  They brought in McHenry, but I don't think he is likely to AA.  Hopefully, Robbie Howard can get healthy or they can find someone to takeover that spot.  While their recruiting has been good, they may be hard pressed to get the 5 titlists they had when they had Nick Lee, RBY, Brooks, Starocci and Dean once all of them move on.  Meanwhile, Iowa looks to land the three Ferraris and has a potential future champ in Gabe Arnold.  If PSU is unlucky with injuries or development, they could potentially lose to Iowa.  I hope not as I like PSU more than Iowa, but Iowa has a corral of real horses now and they have a lot of money to throw around to entice transfers, so it would be foolish to ever count them out.

LOL...you lost me at 3 at the THREE Ferrari's.

Read through this and look at the number of world medalists who've yet to even put on a Penn State signlet...nevermind the Freshmen and Soph like Mesenbrink, Haines, Van Ness, Facundo and Nagao...it's really not even close.

You count on AJ or Anthony to turn Iowa's tides. I'll take blue chip recruits with world medals who haven't shot at teammates houses or been arrested for serious felonies.

And Angelo is behind Haines and Mesenbrink and it's not particularly close at this point.

https://intermatwrestle.com/articles/26761

BadgerOne

Quote from: Vir Fortis on June 06, 2023, 02:28:20 AM
Quote from: BadgerOne on June 05, 2023, 05:03:31 PM

LOL...you lost me at 3 at the THREE Ferrari's.

Read through this and look at the number of world medalists who've yet to even put on a Penn State signlet...nevermind the Freshmen and Soph like Mesenbrink, Haines, Van Ness, Facundo and Nagao...it's really not even close.

You count on AJ or Anthony to turn Iowa's tides. I'll take blue chip recruits with world medals who haven't shot at teammates houses or been arrested for serious felonies.

And Angelo is behind Haines and Mesenbrink and it's not particularly close at this point.

https://intermatwrestle.com/articles/26761

I would agree with you if your time horizon were a year or two, but if you look out five years or more, the landscape could change and while I still favor PSU to say it won't be close is nuts. Iowa may be able to eventually field all three Ferraris and Arnold and I didn't even mention Keuter who is ranked #2 overall in his class.  Iowa potentially could be very loaded in the upperweights.  Iowa also flipped Bono's top 2024 recruit Miguel Estrada and historically have excelled in bringing in title contending and AA transfers (DeSanto, Real Woods, Eierman, Lugo etc.) or flipping elite guys (Cass, Marinelli).  They also have the money to flip more talented wrestlers as PSU's starting opportunities vanish and Iowa has their new facility opening up and lots of money to entice wrestlers.  I expect Iowa will have the opportunity to bring in some elite light weights which they are known for and with Spencer Lee training there, I would be surprised if they are not loaded there in next five years. Iowa did win a title recently and were favored to win during the Covid year a few years ago and PSU can't sign everyone, so Iowa has conservatively at least a 30% chance at a title in next five year and it will surely be a battle.  I am no fan of Iowa at all, but I won't underestimate them either.