Dillan Johnson

Started by BadgerOne, March 22, 2023, 08:22:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

littleguy301

If Johnson is listed at 285 as a junior I seriously doubt fickell will want Johnson cutting down to 285 in a few years to wrestle. Remember there is a weight limit at HWT.

I can see Johnson and other DL guys getting in the room and drilling to improve handtfoot speed. I believe Fickell is that type of coach to us wrestling to strengthen tackling and positions.

Just dont believe Johnson being a 2 sport athlete.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

littleguy301

I have something else to have people to think about about competing in 2 sports.

Both gavin Nelson and max mcenelly in Minnesota were finalist for Mr Minnesota football. Both played in minnesota as equal to wisconsins level 2 in football. Both had near 2k rushing and both were outstanding LB with Nelson being the player of the game for his teams state title.

Both were attending RTC practices for wrestling and playing football. Ask those 2 what it took to be practicing one sport and playing another at the high school level and taking basically college classes. This was high school not D1 college that have sucessfull big ten programs.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

DocWrestling

College football coaches do not love wrestlers.  They love former wrestlers  ;D
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

factfinder

Quote from: littleguy301 on March 27, 2023, 11:08:24 PMI have something else to have people to think about about competing in 2 sports.

Both gavin Nelson and max mcenelly in Minnesota were finalist for Mr Minnesota football. Both played in minnesota as equal to wisconsins level 2 in football. Both had near 2k rushing and both were outstanding LB with Nelson being the player of the game for his teams state title.

Both were attending RTC practices for wrestling and playing football. Ask those 2 what it took to be practicing one sport and playing another at the high school level and taking basically college classes. This was high school not D1 college that have sucessfull big ten programs.
It was barely manageable and in the playoffs they did take some time away from the Mat. Both took community college classes so they could make the college morning practices. if they attended high school classes it would have been impossible.
They will both be training for wrestling only for the first time in their lives I look forward to watching the growth.

head57

285 is plenty big for a DL at UW. Especially with the new 3-3-5 defense. Biggest DL on Cincinnati's 2021 playoff team was 285.
thats the bottom line
On Wisconsin!

Army Ant

I'm surprised that this conversation is going on. I don't see any reasonable chance that a scholarship power five football player spends any significant amount of time helpiing out the wrestling team, much less competing.

bigoil

Quote from: Army Ant on March 29, 2023, 12:45:53 PMI'm surprised that this conversation is going on. I don't see any reasonable chance that a scholarship power five football player spends any significant amount of time helpiing out the wrestling team, much less competing.

Did you miss this?
Here is tweet: On a snowy day in Madison I got an offer to earn a degree play football and can wrestle!! Thank you
@WisFBRecruiting
 💪🏾🏅🏅🏅💪🏾
@HilltoppersFB

@JCAwrestling

@BadgerWrestling

Army Ant

Thanks for providing that. I apparently missed that I admit but who knows the context of whatever conversations he had with whoever supposedly told him that and even if they gave him permission, I still 99% don't see it happening. D1 football is a big-time year-round commmitment and he would definitely be compromising his football development by spending any significant amount of time wrestling.

He'll either commit to wrestling or football; not both. At least after the first year. Outside chance I guess that he could try out both just for the first year.

I'd say the same thing about Keuter (IA). Give him one year max of doing both wrestling & football.

BadgerOne

He certainly seems interested in trying to pursue both sports and considering he is the top ranked 285 in high school as a junior this is a very relevant topic.  Plus, if he drops a sport, it might even be football not wrestling. Based on his social media, he seems pretty into wrestling and might even find more success in that sport given he is #1 in his high school weight class vs. being a 3 star football recruit.  Either way, he seems like a class act and Wisconsin would be lucky to get him whether as a two sport athlete or a one sport athlete.

Army Ant

I agree Badger, including that he may try to do both at first and then decide that wrestling is better.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: head57 on March 28, 2023, 09:34:53 PM285 is plenty big for a DL at UW. Especially with the new 3-3-5 defense. Biggest DL on Cincinnati's 2021 playoff team was 285.

Yeah, and they lost that game because they got ran all over once they faced the big boys...despite having arguably the best secondary in CFB. If you're going to run a 3-3-5, you WANT big 330LB DL ideally. You want big space eaters, not guys who penetrate. That's not always possible, but it's certainly preferable. That was one of the issues with that team, their lack of size up front. They just got blown off the line...particularly vs the freak Evan Neal who went about 6'7 360.

And if you want to play in the NFL, 285 is VERY rarely big enough. There are going to be questions about your size. There are very-very few Aaron Donald types out there(and they all seem to come from Pitt). I'd guess both the Badgers and potential NFL teams will want him closer to ~310 or so.

I'm rooting for it, but it just doesn't seem like it makes sense.

About Cincy's shortcomings heading into the Alabama game.
https://www.si.com/college/alabama/bamacentral/one-simple-stat-demonstrates-difference-alabama-cincinnati

Vir Fortis

Quote from: BadgerOne on March 29, 2023, 02:24:33 PMHe certainly seems interested in trying to pursue both sports and considering he is the top ranked 285 in high school as a junior this is a very relevant topic.  Plus, if he drops a sport, it might even be football not wrestling. Based on his social media, he seems pretty into wrestling and might even find more success in that sport given he is #1 in his high school weight class vs. being a 3 star football recruit.  Either way, he seems like a class act and Wisconsin would be lucky to get him whether as a two sport athlete or a one sport athlete.

He'd have to be a whole lot better at Wrestling to give up on Football with his size and athletic ability. A mid round pick and a rotational DT is going to make millions of dollars in the NFL.

Beau Allen for the Badgers(not exactly JJ Watt) earned nearly 20M by being a backup DL and a 7th round pick. If you're going to be starting for the Badgers...

Just saying, if there's any decisions to be made, I imagine that'd skew it toward football...in both his case, Keuter's case or anyone who's a highly rated Football recruit.

bigoil

Someone wrestling 285 does necessarily weigh 285. Not many lineman weighing 300# are running around at 7-10% body fat either.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: bigoil on March 29, 2023, 06:49:30 PMSomeone wrestling 285 does necessarily weigh 285. Not many lineman weighing 300# are running around at 7-10% body fat either.

Of course they don't necessarily weigh 285. But they do have to weight at MOST 285 and therein lies the problem.

bigoil

Quote from: Vir Fortis on March 30, 2023, 10:08:54 PM
Quote from: bigoil on March 29, 2023, 06:49:30 PMSomeone wrestling 285 does necessarily weigh 285. Not many lineman weighing 300# are running around at 7-10% body fat either.

Of course they don't necessarily weigh 285. But they do have to weight at MOST 285 and therein lies the problem.
My point is he could easily be playing at 305. Heck I'd bet most of the guys struggle to maintain that opening day of camp weight in FB.