Dillan Johnson

Started by BadgerOne, March 22, 2023, 08:22:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmoc33

Quote from: BadgerOne on March 22, 2023, 08:24:34 PM
Quote from: littleguy301 on March 22, 2023, 12:55:05 PM
Quote from: BadgerOne on March 22, 2023, 10:47:38 AM
Quote from: BadgerOne on March 22, 2023, 10:44:50 AM
Quote from: littleguy301 on March 22, 2023, 10:24:11 AMOk.....I have to say that playing both is going to be difficult for anyone. Sure it is fun to think about but seriously I really dont think it happens.

Mason Paris said it was to difficult, what has changed?

I bet Ben K does wrestling his redshirt year and that is it. Also he maybe drafted in the first 10 rounds for baseball so both wrestling and football could be out of luck.

Difficult, hmmm.  Well, true, but its not like it hasn't been done before and who is saying Dillan can't do it if he is determined enough.  Curley Culp was an NCAA champion wrestler and also All-American football player, who later became a 6 time pro-bowler in NFL.  Carlton Haselrig, won numerous NCAA wrestling titles, though he first attempted to play college football but got hurt and transferred to school without football, and later became a pro-bowler in NFL.  Wisconsin's own Tim Krumrie played both sports for the Badgers and also became a pro-bowler. If Ben and/or Dillan can play both sports in college, they will be in good company.

40 years ago Tim K and well over 30 for hasselrig. Times have changes alot and being a 2 sport college athlete like football and wrestling will be very tough. I am.sure it.can be done but in this day and age very rare.

The demands for.both sports have changed quite a bit and it would take alot to do both.

Its rare because you don't find many guys that are elite in both sports and want to compete in both, but Johnson might be one of those rare guys.  I don't know if its any tougher today.  Wrestlers are wrestling fewer matches these days and Johnson, if he were the starter, could wrestle an abbreviated season following football season and place high enough in the Big Tens to get to the NCAAs.

the problem with that is there is a competition season, and a training season which is the rest of the year. I agree some of the training would overlap and correlate and I hope someone could do it. I just cant think of recent success at doing that.

vsmf2010

Quote from: kmoc33 on March 24, 2023, 08:30:22 AM
Quote from: BadgerOne on March 22, 2023, 08:24:34 PM
Quote from: littleguy301 on March 22, 2023, 12:55:05 PM
Quote from: BadgerOne on March 22, 2023, 10:47:38 AM
Quote from: BadgerOne on March 22, 2023, 10:44:50 AM
Quote from: littleguy301 on March 22, 2023, 10:24:11 AMOk.....I have to say that playing both is going to be difficult for anyone. Sure it is fun to think about but seriously I really dont think it happens.

Mason Paris said it was to difficult, what has changed?

I bet Ben K does wrestling his redshirt year and that is it. Also he maybe drafted in the first 10 rounds for baseball so both wrestling and football could be out of luck.

Difficult, hmmm.  Well, true, but its not like it hasn't been done before and who is saying Dillan can't do it if he is determined enough.  Curley Culp was an NCAA champion wrestler and also All-American football player, who later became a 6 time pro-bowler in NFL.  Carlton Haselrig, won numerous NCAA wrestling titles, though he first attempted to play college football but got hurt and transferred to school without football, and later became a pro-bowler in NFL.  Wisconsin's own Tim Krumrie played both sports for the Badgers and also became a pro-bowler. If Ben and/or Dillan can play both sports in college, they will be in good company.

40 years ago Tim K and well over 30 for hasselrig. Times have changes alot and being a 2 sport college athlete like football and wrestling will be very tough. I am.sure it.can be done but in this day and age very rare.

The demands for.both sports have changed quite a bit and it would take alot to do both.

Its rare because you don't find many guys that are elite in both sports and want to compete in both, but Johnson might be one of those rare guys.  I don't know if its any tougher today.  Wrestlers are wrestling fewer matches these days and Johnson, if he were the starter, could wrestle an abbreviated season following football season and place high enough in the Big Tens to get to the NCAAs.

the problem with that is there is a competition season, and a training season which is the rest of the year. I agree some of the training would overlap and correlate and I hope someone could do it. I just cant think of recent success at doing that.

I cannot think of anyone doing it lately either but coach Fickell did it himself for 2 years and it sounds like he regretted not sticking with it. If there is 1 football coach in the country who would really support it and try to make it work I think it is him. Probably still will not work out but the UW would be the place to give it a shot. I doubt most schools would truly have the support of the football coach to do this.

DocWrestling

Some guys from the past are being brought up that have done both.  Couple of points

1) Neither the football coach or the wrestling coach are happy sharing a player
2) Heavyweight wrestling has changed a ton since the past when this occurred.  Heavyweight used to be football players brawling.  Heavyweight wrestlers today are wrestlers and athletes that need to know how to wrestle.  I just don't see a part time wrestler getting to be an AA.  Maybe a team with lower expectations can make it work
3) Having a part time wrestler sounds like a culture killer.  Other wrestlers will feel OK with slacking until second semester and who the heck is going to want to be the wrestler for the first semester
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

bigoil

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 24, 2023, 01:26:12 PMSome guys from the past are being brought up that have done both.  Couple of points

2) Heavyweight wrestling has changed a ton since the past when this occurred.  Heavyweight used to be football players brawling.  Heavyweight wrestlers today are wrestlers and athletes that need to know how to wrestle.  I just don't see a part time wrestler getting to be an AA.  Maybe a team with lower expectations can make it work
3) Having a part time wrestler sounds like a culture killer.  Other wrestlers will feel OK with slacking until second semester and who the heck is going to want to be the wrestler for the first semester
Imagine Braelon Allen out there at 240#, shooting HiC!.

BadgerOne

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 24, 2023, 01:26:12 PMSome guys from the past are being brought up that have done both.  Couple of points

Let me respond to some of your points:

1.  I think Bono would love Dillan Johnson, especially if he doesn't count towards the 9.9. Essentially a walk-on with AA upside.   Fickell is a big supporter of the wrestling program and so he may not mind at all.
2.  But in Dillan's case, he DOES know how to wrestle and is already wrestling at an elite level.  I think Flo has him ranked at the top in his weight class.
3.  I don't think its a cultural killer at all, if he does well, he'll be loved and respected for being able to do what very few are able to do.

vsmf2010

Quote from: BadgerOne on March 24, 2023, 03:19:59 PM

Let me respond to some of your points:

1.  I think Bono would love Dillan Johnson, especially if he doesn't count towards the 9.9. Essentially a walk-on with AA upside.   Fickell is a big supporter of the wrestling program and so he may not mind at all.
2.  But in Dillan's case, he DOES know how to wrestle and is already wrestling at an elite level.  I think Flo has him ranked at the top in his weight class.
3.  I don't think its a cultural killer at all, if he does well, he'll be loved and respected for being able to do what very few are able to do.

+1

littleguy301

While it sounds great for athletes to do 2 sports in college, I believe it is pretty far fetched in todays environment.

The demands of 1 sport and school work is really a load for many. Just try to think of doing school and 2 sports. I look at the amount of kids that struggle just going to college with out being in any athletics.

Maybe Mr Johnson can do just that be in 2 sports and knock the grades out of the park. It would be great but until o can see it with my own eyes, I am on the not probably going to happen band wagon!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

DocWrestling

Badger Football did offer Johnson a scholarship today

Luke Fickell is a great wrestling promoter but I am sure he is like every other football coach that wants kids to wrestle until it interferes with football.  Fickell himself gave up wrestling for football and I would expect he would want others to do the same.

A football coach is going to tell a wrestler that he cannot go near a wrestling mat except maybe between January 3 through March 15th.  No open mats during season, during spring practice, and not during summer.  Just too much wear and tear on the body to physically be your best and train without injuries.  D1 sports is nothing like HS and every freshman learns that fast even if they thought they could do two sports.

There is an athlete (Freitag) that has been offered a scholarship from both Fickell and Gard as the player has not announced what sport he plans to do in college.  I could see a player playing football and then a role player on the basketball team before I could see a football/wrestler.  But in this case if he played football and basketball he would count as a scholarship player for both sports if he plays so not likely.

BadgerOne

Dillan Johnson tweeted that he can play both sports.  This is encouraging that he may give wrestling a try too.  Bono has to be overjoyed that he might get Dillan Johnson without touching his 9.9. 

Here is tweet: On a snowy day in Madison I got an offer to earn a degree play football and can wrestle!! Thank you
@WisFBRecruiting
 💪🏾🏅🏅🏅💪🏾
@HilltoppersFB

@JCAwrestling

@BadgerWrestling

@AllenTrieu

@Rivals_Clint

@nexgenscouting

@EDGYTIM

DocWrestling

I guess I am wrong and that tweet makes it sound like Fickell would let him wrestle.  Still think he is naive to how much work it will be

head57

Through a connection, I've been told decision could come sooner than later, and he likes UW particularly for its proximity to home. Let's get him on campus and figure it out.
thats the bottom line
On Wisconsin!

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Numbers

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 26, 2023, 07:53:36 AMI guess I am wrong and that tweet makes it sound like Fickell would let him wrestle.  Still think he is naive to how much work it will be
Even if he would just double as a Hwt wrestling partner it would be a win for the wrestling team.

Numbers

Quote from: wrastle63 on March 22, 2023, 08:29:03 AMBig connection with Dean going to the same HS.
DJ being at Madison has to be a huge plus.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 26, 2023, 07:53:36 AMI guess I am wrong and that tweet makes it sound like Fickell would let him wrestle.  Still think he is naive to how much work it will be

It still just seems like a stretch. I don't think it'd have an impact on the roster(him not wrestling until 2nd semester). But...again, you gonna have a guy who presumably has NFL goals cutting weight and going through the meet grinder that is the B1G Wrestling schedule? Instead of getting stronger, he's going to be trying to just maintain during Wrestling?

I hope it work...