Dillan Johnson

Started by BadgerOne, March 22, 2023, 08:22:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BadgerOne

I heard he scheduled a visit to the Badgers for football this month.  He's a helluva wrestler and if he signed with the football team, maybe he'll want to wrestle too.  Iowa's next heavy, Keuter,  is doing both football and wrestling.  He's literally the best heavyweight the Badgers could probably get outside of Hopke and if he's on a football scholly, wouldn't use up any of the 9.9.  He could be a stud heavyweight or be a great practice partner for Hopke.  Either way it would be huge!

wrastle63

Big connection with Dean going to the same HS.

vsmf2010

Quote from: BadgerOne on March 22, 2023, 08:22:22 AMI heard he scheduled a visit to the Badgers for football this month.  He's a helluva wrestler and if he signed with the football team, maybe he'll want to wrestle too.  Iowa's next heavy, Keuter,  is doing both football and wrestling.  He's literally the best heavyweight the Badgers could probably get outside of Hopke and if he's on a football scholly, wouldn't use up any of the 9.9.  He could be a stud heavyweight or be a great practice partner for Hopke.  Either way it would be huge!

Would be a great get for sure! I doubt there is a power five coach that has a stronger relationship to wrestling than coach Fickell so the UW would be the perfect choice for a young man who would like to explore participating in both sports.

On a related note coach Fickell was a regular at home duals after his hiring which was awesome to see.

littleguy301

Ok.....I have to say that playing both is going to be difficult for anyone. Sure it is fun to think about but seriously I really dont think it happens.

Mason Paris said it was to difficult, what has changed?

I bet Ben K does wrestling his redshirt year and that is it. Also he maybe drafted in the first 10 rounds for baseball so both wrestling and football could be out of luck.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

BadgerOne

Quote from: BadgerOne on March 22, 2023, 10:44:50 AM
Quote from: littleguy301 on March 22, 2023, 10:24:11 AMOk.....I have to say that playing both is going to be difficult for anyone. Sure it is fun to think about but seriously I really dont think it happens.

I bet Ben K does wrestling his redshirt year and that is it. Also he maybe drafted in the first 10 rounds for baseball so both wrestling and football could be out of luck.

Difficult, hmmm.  Well, true, but its not like it hasn't been done before and who is saying Dillan can't do it if he is determined enough.  Curley Culp was an NCAA champion wrestler and also All-American football player, who later became a 6 time pro-bowler in NFL.  Carlton Haselrig, won numerous NCAA wrestling titles, though he first attempted to play college football but got hurt and transferred to school without football, and later became a pro-bowler in NFL.  Wisconsin's own Tim Krumrie played both sports for the Badgers and also became a pro-bowler. If Ben and/or Dillan can play both sports in college, they will be in good company.

Junkyardpig

Quote from: littleguy301 on March 22, 2023, 10:24:11 AMOk.....I have to say that playing both is going to be difficult for anyone. Sure it is fun to think about but seriously I really dont think it happens.

Kueter is not even being sniffed to be drafted in baseball!  Just spewing out random made up facts LOL. 

kmoc33

Quote from: BadgerOne on March 22, 2023, 10:47:38 AM

Difficult, hmmm.  Well, true, but its not like it hasn't been done before and who is saying Dillan can't do it if he is determined enough.  Curley Culp was an NCAA champion wrestler and also All-American football player, who later became a 6 time pro-bowler in NFL.  Carlton Haselrig, won numerous NCAA wrestling titles, though he first attempted to play college football but got hurt and transferred to school without football, and later became a pro-bowler in NFL.  Wisconsin's own Tim Krumrie played both sports for the Badgers and also became a pro-bowler. If Ben and/or Dillan can play both sports in college, they will be in good company.

I really think you are under selling the difficulty of this. If they can do it then kudos to them. I read this post and wondered who is the last to do it and I found Josh Hockit from Fresno a few years back. But other than that I cant think of a recent person that has been able to do it at such a high level. Anyone think of any recent names? Fickell himself said it was too difficult and that is why he quit wrestling. This is not to say that one doesnt help the other. Just referring to how difficult it would be on the person

bigoil

Quote from: BadgerOne on March 22, 2023, 08:22:22 AMI heard he scheduled a visit to the Badgers for football this month.  He's a helluva wrestler and if he signed with the football team, maybe he'll want to wrestle too.  Iowa's next heavy, Keuter,  is doing both football and wrestling.  He's literally the best heavyweight the Badgers could probably get outside of Hopke and if he's on a football scholly, wouldn't use up any of the 9.9.  He could be a stud heavyweight or be a great practice partner for Hopke.  Either way it would be huge!
I could be wrong but historically, that Scholly had to fall on the non-rev team scholarship allocation. Not aware of that changing but could be wrong.

DocWrestling

There is a rule affecting scholarships for two sport athletes

This rule was really put in place for football and baseball/track because sports regular seasons do not overlap.  Rule is something like you cannot give a sprinter a 1/2 scholarship and then if he plays football not count him on your 85 count. 

A partial scholarship in any sport would count as a full scholarship in sports like football and basketball.

So a the 1/2 scholarship sprinter can play football but then they can only have 84 full scholarship players.

I don't think it matters the other way though.  A football player on full scholarship I believe can do any other sport and not count against their scholarship limits?  UW has had football players run track at times including Johnathon Taylor.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

bigoil

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 22, 2023, 12:25:14 PMThere is a rule affecting scholarships for two sport athletes

This rule was really put in place for football and baseball/track because sports regular seasons do not overlap.  Rule is something like you cannot give a sprinter a 1/2 scholarship and then if he plays football not count him on your 85 count. 

A partial scholarship in any sport would count as a full scholarship in sports like football and basketball.

So a the 1/2 scholarship sprinter can play football but then they can only have 84 full scholarship players.

I don't think it matters the other way though.  A football player on full scholarship I believe can do any other sport and not count against their scholarship limits?  UW has had football players run track at times including Johnathon Taylor.
thanks Doc

littleguy301

40 years ago Tim K and well over 30 for hasselrig. Times have changes alot and being a 2 sport college athlete like football and wrestling will be very tough. I am.sure it.can be done but in this day and age very rare.

The demands for.both sports have changed quite a bit and it would take alot to do both.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

SP

Haselrig didn't play football in college.
Anti-Inclusion Mafia

npope

1972 - Ed Vatch came to the UW on a football scholarship and Mike Jenkins (state wrestling champ from River Falls) came to the UW on a wrestling scholarship. I think they were even roommates, although not sure on that point. Both participated in both wrestling and football their freshman years and after the first year, they each decided to switch their scholarships so that Vatch could pursue wrestling and Jenkins pursue football, exclusively. Vatch was the wrestling captain his senior year and Jenkins spent three years as a starter on the football team.

The world was a simpler place back then.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

BadgerOne

Quote from: littleguy301 on March 22, 2023, 12:55:05 PM

40 years ago Tim K and well over 30 for hasselrig. Times have changes alot and being a 2 sport college athlete like football and wrestling will be very tough. I am.sure it.can be done but in this day and age very rare.

The demands for.both sports have changed quite a bit and it would take alot to do both.

Its rare because you don't find many guys that are elite in both sports and want to compete in both, but Johnson might be one of those rare guys.  I don't know if its any tougher today.  Wrestlers are wrestling fewer matches these days and Johnson, if he were the starter, could wrestle an abbreviated season following football season and place high enough in the Big Tens to get to the NCAAs.

Vir Fortis

You're going back to the 60s for Culp. The game has changed more than a little bit since then.
Haselrig, like Neal didn't play Football...so that's a moot point.
Krumrie wrestled for 2 years and then focused on Football.

Kueter is a 6'4 225LB OLBer who could very well be drafted in 3 years. NFL teams prefer 1st round picks to be 22 or younger(preferably 21 as that's how old the majority are).

A RS year in Wrestling and then 4 more years would put him at 24 going on 25 as a Rookie.

If he's a stud Edge at Iowa, he's costing himself MILLIONS of dollars. They have a backup who's projected to be a 1st round pick this year(to the Packers in many mock drafts) who's 21 years old).

I'd say his chances of Wrestling a full career at Iowa are a long shot, particularly if he's on the field getting snaps this year for the Football team.

Edit-Hopefully he becomes the guy who breaks the trend, but every year there seem to be a couple HWTs who plan on doing both...and it seldom materializes. Mullen plans on doing both, Parris, Coon IIRC.

Johnson may be even more difficult as they'd almost certainly want him playing at ~300 pounds...meaning he'd have to cut to Wrestle. Seems like a lot to ask.