Badgers under Bono

Started by Hungus, February 11, 2023, 05:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrestling for fun

On the bright side, Bono did recruit Tanner Sloan to SDSU, who is now a national finalist and vaulted SDSU over Wisconsin in team standings last night. 
Bono can recruit quality.  Development may be a concern.

onwisconsin

My greatest frustration with this season is we seem to lose way more close matches than we win.  This is across the line up and not only a few wrestlers.   I could be wrong, but it seems we give up more TD's late in matches then we score ourselves.  Whether it is technical or something else is for others to decide. 

dad 2 5

Quote from: onwisconsin on March 18, 2023, 11:52:07 AMMy greatest frustration with this season is we seem to lose way more close matches than we win.  This is across the line up and not only a few wrestlers.   I could be wrong, but it seems we give up more TD's late in matches then we score ourselves.  Whether it is technical or something else is for others to decide. 

Agree, last year seemed like Badgers had late match wins. Not as much this year

1Iota

Quote from: onwisconsin on March 18, 2023, 11:52:07 AMMy greatest frustration with this season is we seem to lose way more close matches than we win.  This is across the line up and not only a few wrestlers.   I could be wrong, but it seems we give up more TD's late in matches then we score ourselves.  Whether it is technical or something else is for others to decide. 

It sure seems like this to me as well.  We also, other than Hamiti and Gomez, seem very passive when we need to score.

BadgerOne

I love Hamiti.  He is fun to watch with his loose, go for broke style, his long reach, quickness, ability to contort his body and his pinning arsenal.  However, he seems a bit tentative against the top wrestlers and I don't think he has ever reversed a loss yet in five tries.  Marinelli (2x), Amine (3x), Griffith (2x) and Monday (2x), I think have all beat him more than once and he has also lost to Carr and O'Toole.  So all his losses are to top guys and I don't recall any bad losses.  I was hoping he'd break through to top three but he took sixth again.  Hoping he can take a leap next year.

asdf

Maybe there is more to NCAA wrestling then "Hustle, Attitude, and Effort."

Go listen to Amine interview after beating Hamiti, Amine basically stated Mich coaches had a better match strategy.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: asdf on March 18, 2023, 01:08:11 PMMaybe there is more to NCAA wrestling then "Hustle, Attitude, and Effort."

Go listen to Amine interview after beating Hamiti, Amine basically stated Mich coaches had a better match strategy.

I think Hamiti needs to RS and then go up to 174. He has trouble against the bigger, more physical '65 pounders.
Other than Carr and Griffith, the others he lost to have pretty similar builds. They're just BIG '65 pounders.

Hamiti also doesn't have a go-to shot.

A RS year would be good for him. It'd be bad for the team, but Wisconsin should be looking at 2024-25 IMO. Gomez will be gone, but...just my opinion.

We should also point out that 165 is the most loaded weight class and he finished behind Carr(1,3,finals), O'Toole, 3, 1 finals, Monday who was in the finals, Amine who's been 7,4,4 and then Griffith who was undefeated in 2020, won it in   2021, runner up in a VERY close match in 2022 and finished 5th this year.

This may be as good of a weight when all is said and done that we've seen in a while.

Ghetto

Quote from: asdf on March 18, 2023, 01:08:11 PMMaybe there is more to NCAA wrestling then "Hustle, Attitude, and Effort."

And that strategy was to do nothing and wait for one shot. It worked. Not sure it was all that strategic. That's the strategy of most high school coaches when they know they are overmatched.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Ghetto

Quote from: Vir Fortis on March 18, 2023, 01:20:47 PM

I think Hamiti needs to RS and then go up to 174. He has trouble against the bigger, more physical '65 pounders.
Other than Carr and Griffith, the others he lost to have pretty similar builds. They're just BIG '65 pounders.

A RS year would be good for him. It'd be bad for the team, but Wisconsin should be looking at 2024-25 IMO. Gomez will be gone, but...just my opinion.

We should also point out that 165 is the most loaded weight class and he finished behind Carr(1,3,finals), O'Toole, 3, 1 finals, Monday who was in the finals, Amine who's been 7,4,4 and then Griffith who was undefeated in 2020, won it in   2021, runner up in a VERY close match in 2022 and finished 5th this year.

This may be as good of a weight when all is said and done that we've seen in a while.

Going up when he has trouble with big 165 pounders doesn't seem to make any sense to me. Going up to 174 will put him in a different group of even bigger dudes.

Hamiti likes to heel pick, but I tend to agree that he doesn't have a go-to. He can overwhelm guys with angles when his hands are active, but it's more of a go behind than an actual shot.

He was in the best weight in the tournament, and wasn't embarrassed in any match. I'm nit picking above, but I think he can compete with the best at the weight. He needs that one takedown in a big match to turn the tables IMO.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Vir Fortis

Quote from: The Legend on March 18, 2023, 09:45:31 AMSo, you're saying that when an athlete and a RTC coach went to the AWA Facility with Covid there were no issues?  SURRRREE.  Maybe that's why Moran's and Bono's relationship is sterling.  No issues here keep moving keep moving.

Yeah, I know he trolled people for getting the vaccine and I believe he said he's never seen a Wrestler get Covid on Flo, but I don't watch close enough.

I did have it from a good source that the dispute was about AWA Wrestler's going up to the RTC, not the other way around...but isn't anyone getting sick of talking about this?

Vir Fortis

Quote from: Ghetto on March 18, 2023, 01:27:16 PM

Going up when he has trouble with big 165 pounders doesn't seem to make any sense to me. Going up to 174 will put him in a different group of even bigger dudes.

Hamiti likes to heel pick, but I tend to agree that he doesn't have a go-to. He can overwhelm guys with angles when his hands are active, but it's more of a go behind than an actual shot.

He was in the best weight in the tournament, and wasn't embarrassed in any match. I'm nit picking above, but I think he can compete with the best at the weight. He needs that one takedown in a big match to turn the tables IMO.

Well...that's simple, you get stronger. Take that RS year, build your body up. It gives him a full year to lift, add weight, muscle and grow into '74.

The Legend

Quote from: Vir Fortis on March 18, 2023, 01:38:25 PM
Quote from: Ghetto on March 18, 2023, 01:27:16 PM

Well...that's simple, you get stronger. Take that RS year, build your body up. It gives him a full year to lift, add weight, muscle and grow into '74.
Well your source is full of ----.  It is very factual two Badger's, an RTC coach and an Athlete went to the AWA facility all while having Covid.  Spin it how you like with guess work.  That is where the fall out began.

onwisconsin

Quote from: BadgerOne on March 18, 2023, 01:04:01 PMI love Hamiti.  He is fun to watch with his loose, go for broke style, his long reach, quickness, ability to contort his body and his pinning arsenal.  However, he seems a bit tentative against the top wrestlers and I don't think he has ever reversed a loss yet in five tries.  Marinelli (2x), Amine (3x), Griffith (2x) and Monday (2x), I think have all beat him more than once and he has also lost to Carr and O'Toole.  So all his losses are to top guys and I don't recall any bad losses.  I was hoping he'd break through to top three but he took sixth again.  Hoping he can take a leap next year.

Completely agree.  Would love 10 Hamiti types throughout the line up.

scrambledeggs

I give Bono a slight break on his success due to the fact that many of the wrestlers on the teams the last few years are still Barry's recruits. Sure it is his job to make them better and I definitely see improvement in the ones left over that are graduating this year. Next year he will have all of his guys, if you can bring in a few guys between 157 and 184 we should do alright. 125, 133, 141, 149, 165, 174, and 197 should all be a bit better than this year, we will lose some at HWT. 

vsmf2010

Quote from: BadgerOne on March 18, 2023, 01:04:01 PMI love Hamiti.  He is fun to watch with his loose, go for broke style, his long reach, quickness, ability to contort his body and his pinning arsenal.  However, he seems a bit tentative against the top wrestlers and I don't think he has ever reversed a loss yet in five tries.  Marinelli (2x), Amine (3x), Griffith (2x) and Monday (2x), I think have all beat him more than once and he has also lost to Carr and O'Toole.  So all his losses are to top guys and I don't recall any bad losses.  I was hoping he'd break through to top three but he took sixth again.  Hoping he can take a leap next year.

It is strange how he looks different against certain top guys but I think there is progress through out the season and even today. Last year at the Big Tens he beat Kharchla in SV and this year he destroyed him.

Even though he was 0-2 today I think there was significant progress in both of those matches. He made a mistake against Quincy and got his arm trapped for that tilt but he was able to take him down which he did not do at the Midlands and that seemed to me how he needs to wrestle to beat those guys. I thought he was the better wrestler for most of that match. The more exchanges he creates the better.

He really was not in the match against Griffith last year and he was right there today. He was really close on first takedown that wasn't but he wrestled the style I think he needs to wrestle. A few technical mistakes and he got caught on the switch because Griffith did a nice job of splitting the legs and elevating but I like his movement.

I think if he wrestles that way he will beat Amine next time. Amine is able to really slow him down which is not good for him.