Badgers under Bono

Started by Hungus, February 11, 2023, 05:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asdf

Quote from: bigoil on March 09, 2023, 06:05:55 PM
Quote from: dad 2 5 on March 09, 2023, 05:35:36 PMSo if the Badgers have one AA and finish in the low 20's what are you going to say? This is such a tough tournament and the Badger did themselves no favors
Back to the same silly stuff on the forum. I like the point of the harm being done as recruits read this junk. You would think that in the UW section that there would be more positive view of the program and school. Maybe those of us that are Badger fan should go to the other forums (MN; MI; IL; Iowa...) and try to stir up junk.

You'd be getting all jazzed up if you spent anytime on the IA or MN forums.  This place is so mild compared to their expectations/insights on the forum.

If a recruit is not coming to UW because of a few keyboard warriors (most speaking factually) here, can't see how he'd last 4 years with a Big Ten schedule, visitors fan section, on and on.  My goodness go look at what UNI head coaches wife tweeted out about UW fans at the home dual.  Can't imagine what these athletes hear elsewhere.

Chinpin

Quote from: asdf on March 10, 2023, 10:59:00 AM
Quote from: bigoil on March 09, 2023, 06:05:55 PM
Quote from: dad 2 5 on March 09, 2023, 05:35:36 PMSo if the Badgers have one AA and finish in the low 20's what are you going to say? This is such a tough tournament and the Badger did themselves no favors
Back to the same silly stuff on the forum. I like the point of the harm being done as recruits read this junk. You would think that in the UW section that there would be more positive view of the program and school. Maybe those of us that are Badger fan should go to the other forums (MN; MI; IL; Iowa...) and try to stir up junk.

You'd be getting all jazzed up if you spent anytime on the IA or MN forums.  This place is so mild compared to their expectations/insights on the forum.

If a recruit is not coming to UW because of a few keyboard warriors (most speaking factually) here, can't see how he'd last 4 years with a Big Ten schedule, visitors fan section, on and on.  My goodness go look at what UNI head coaches wife tweeted out about UW fans at the home dual.  Can't imagine what these athletes hear elsewhere.
What did Mrs. Schwab Say? Sorry, I  missed it.

bigoil

Allyson likes to give it back. Luke Louison was sitting in my seats and I know he was riding Doug. All in good taste as I was in touch with her.

It wasn't even just the UW fans as much as the end of season and being a wife of a coach.

DocWrestling

I think it is fair to say it is a push between Davis and Bono as they are basically getting the same results.  I think Bono has at least energized the fan base with improved marketing and publicity and dual crowds have been better.

I think everyone is fighting to be the #3 program in the country and lots of programs just have a guy.  Badgers could just hire another guy and I would expect similar results.

As I said before Bono was hired I do think it is worth taking a flyer and trying something different and unconventional to see if you can become that #3 program.  That guy is Askren.  No way Alvarez would hire him but maybe McIntosh would.  Not sure Askren would even accept.

I am not upset with Bono because I really don't know any other name that might be able to come in and be a high probability to do better.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

leg turk

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 17, 2023, 09:31:10 PMI think it is fair to say it is a push between Davis and Bono as they are basically getting the same results.  I think Bono has at least energized the fan base with improved marketing and publicity and dual crowds have been better.

I think everyone is fighting to be the #3 program in the country and lots of programs just have a guy.  Badgers could just hire another guy and I would expect similar results.

As I said before Bono was hired I do think it is worth taking a flyer and trying something different and unconventional to see if you can become that #3 program.  That guy is Askren.  No way Alvarez would hire him but maybe McIntosh would.  Not sure Askren would even accept.

I am not upset with Bono because I really don't know any other name that might be able to come in and be a high probability to do better.
How about that Cornell coach? Can we lure him away?

No One Cares

Quote from: leg turk on March 17, 2023, 09:42:09 PM
Quote from: DocWrestling on March 17, 2023, 09:31:10 PMI think it is fair to say it is a push between Davis and Bono as they are basically getting the same results.  I think Bono has at least energized the fan base with improved marketing and publicity and dual crowds have been better.

How about that Cornell coach? Can we lure him away?

Why go backwards??  Cornell is miles ahead of UW right now.

asdf

Quote from: novice wrestler on February 20, 2023, 09:23:37 AM
Quote from: asdf on February 18, 2023, 10:52:57 PMI agree it is a lateral move at best at this point from Barry to Bono.  I expected better results by now from Bono/Reader.  That it looks like UW is trending the same as 6 years ago, yet now the ability to use the transfer portal presents more as a regression IMO. Simply put Davis did the same as Bono is doing now without the advantage of being able to get 2-3 starters/year via the portal.

Being a Big Ten program, a great campus and yet running neck and neck in the rankings to mid-major SDSU where Bono/Reader left is unfortunate.

With a little better health, these comments would be mute.  The portal is now the way of life but also realize why some kids are in the portal. There is a multitude of reasons, the hard part is finding the right kids for your program. With NIL the really good kids in the portal are wanted to get paid!!!
Now the comment about ranking UW with mid major SDSU is a crazy comment, mean spirited.  SDSU would likely only be able to compete with a couple of the bottoms teams in the Big Ten.  In some polls they are unranked as a tournament team

Speaking of not aging well hows that "crazy comment" of ranking UW with Mid-major SDSU taste now?

Bono's replacement Hahn has one in the finals, current team score above UW, a brand new facility, and functioning RTC....this is getting done at SDSU....SDSU!

wrestlemania

"As I said before Bono was hired I do think it is worth taking a flyer and trying something different and unconventional to see if you can become that #3 program.  That guy is Askren.  No way Alvarez would hire him but maybe McIntosh would.  Not sure Askren would even accept."

But he did accept...to run the RTC. He had his opportunity to make his mark and help with the UW program. And then he flushed it down the toilet. And McIntosh, although he wasn't AD at the time, was still the associate and saw it all happen. So now it's not a question anymore of whether Askren would accept. It's a question of whether UW would even have anything to do with him after what happened. And the answer more than likely is....no!

The Legend

Quote from: wrestlemania on March 17, 2023, 10:35:49 PM"As I said before Bono was hired I do think it is worth taking a flyer and trying something different and unconventional to see if you can become that #3 program.  That guy is Askren.  No way Alvarez would hire him but maybe McIntosh would.  Not sure Askren would even accept."

But he did accept...to run the RTC. He had his opportunity to make his mark and help with the UW program. And then he flushed it down the toilet. And McIntosh, although he wasn't AD at the time, was still the associate and saw it all happen. So now it's not a question anymore of whether Askren would accept. It's a question of whether UW would even have anything to do with him after what happened. And the answer more than likely is....no!

For the people on this forum that defend Bono at every turn.  Does it even matter to you that the fall out between Bono and Askren was over Bono breaking the rules with the Covid guidelines by trying to use an AWA facility when the university had them limited?

wrestlemania

Quote from: The Legend on March 17, 2023, 10:44:39 PM
Quote from: wrestlemania on March 17, 2023, 10:35:49 PM"As I said before Bono was hired I do think it is worth taking a flyer and trying something different and unconventional to see if you can become that #3 program.  That guy is Askren.  No way Alvarez would hire him but maybe McIntosh would.  Not sure Askren would even accept."

For the people on this forum that defend Bono at every turn.  Does it even matter to you that the fall out between Bono and Askren was over Bono breaking the rules with the Covid guidelines by trying to use an AWA facility when the university had them limited?

Is that what Askren says happened or should we ask BuckyMatt to find out Bono's side of the story? I'd like to get various samples before making up my mind.

I would also ask that anyone defending Askren at least be a UW wrestling fan of good standing and just not an Askren fan boy.

I love this phrase: "defend Bono at every turn". I want the Bono critics to spell out exactly what he has done to hurt the program and how his removal as head coach would make things automatically so much better that we'll all be blinded by it. And I also want a plausible successor as well who will be so much better we'll have to build new trophy cases.

If your point is Bono came in raising expectations so much that he can't meet them, then I'm not going to argue. But it also makes my point: That no matter who the coach is or was, whatever UW can accomplish in D-I collegiate wrestling is going to be limited by a lot of factors any coach would have a difficult time dealing with: 1). funding, 2). compliance, 3). facilities, 4). academic standards and let's add since 2020 5). At the mercy of club coaches who don't like your program.

Vir Fortis

Pretty sure it was the other way around. Askren wanted the AWA kids to come up and Wrestle at the RTC when UW was restricting the number of people who could be in certain places.

Also, just given everything Askren has said about Covid, how dismissive he was, this seems...real unlikely. Like you've got the story exactly backward.

bigoil

AWA was not upset by any training during covid, I've spoke to Ben, that's not it. Was there a tie to the training that some of the dispute is over, yes but it had nothing to do with Covid restrictions.

These athletes have been training their entire life, we expect them to just sit on the couch?

Did some of the kids go to church in Dane county too, that was restricted as well.

They also wrestled in Rokfin events, that had to be hosted outside Dane County.

Stop your Biatching and enjoy some great wrestling today.

1Iota

Quote from: Vir Fortis on March 18, 2023, 09:21:08 AM

Pretty sure it was the other way around. Askren wanted the AWA kids to come up and Wrestle at the RTC when UW was restricting the number of people who could be in certain places.

Also, just given everything Askren has said about Covid, how dismissive he was, this seems...real unlikely. Like you've got the story exactly backward.

I agree 100%.  There is no way Askren was the guy following protocol while Bono was trying to side step it.  Anyone who knows Askren's personal beliefs understands he is a libertarian who had no use for any of the Covid protocols. 

Bono needs to do better.  This season has been a big dissapointment, and the performance of UW wrestlers in big matches has been pitiful.  Having said that, the Askren as HC talk is a joke.  No way anybody in the Athletic Department wants to deal with that ego.  Wrestling is a non-revenue generating sport where drama won't be tolerated.

The Legend

So, you're saying that when an athlete and a RTC coach went to the AWA Facility with Covid there were no issues?  SURRRREE.  Maybe that's why Moran's and Bono's relationship is sterling.   No issues here keep moving keep moving.

The Legend

On a side note.  I'm not on the train of hiring with Askren as the coach.   I think he should stay on doing the job he is currently doing well at.  But they definitely can find someone.  Pretty sure Hahn was up for this job at the same time Bono was.