NCAA Session 1

Started by DocWrestling, March 16, 2023, 11:56:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leg turk

He just didn't want to face Spencer.

vsmf2010

Quote from: leg turk on March 17, 2023, 10:17:47 AMHe just didn't want to face Spencer.

In all honesty Noto's path to AA is shorter than Barnett's (1 win vs 3) but not necessary easier. After Lee techs him he will likely meet Mckee or DeAugustino in the bloodround. Thinking Mckee. The consolation rounds of the NCAA's are his happy place. He has only lost 1 consolation match in the NCAA's in his career and that was to Vito.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 17, 2023, 07:42:28 AM
Quote from: bigoil on March 17, 2023, 07:15:13 AM
Quote from: scrambledeggs on March 17, 2023, 06:37:40 AMI don't understand getting taken down with 12 seconds left in the match, to put you down by 1 and just laying flat and accepting the loss. I would think in this tournament you would do everything in your power to attempt to get away even if your chances of doing so are next to none.
I thought the same initially but then when they got up Noto had Barnett's legs crossed.

I also would have liked to see some sort of fight there at least.  Maybe a mental mistake and not knowing how much time was left but that was certainly a crushing takedown but so was giving up the reversal.  He certainly wrestled hard until that final 12 seconds.

Going to be interesting where Gomez and Barnett are mentally today after those crushing defeats.  Today is as much a mental test as a physical test.  If Barnett can win his first one today I could see him getting on a roll.  Gomez has a decent draw also

I thought Gomez best chance to make the stand was beat Parco and make a run to the Semis. With the knees and probably not being in the best shape, I was worried he'd MFF if he lost on the front side. Really hope that's not the case.

He looked pretty good, but that backside is about mentality. We'll learn a lot about Gomez here...IMO.

Of course, maybe he's got a partially torn ACL and a MFF would be the best thing for him. I don't buy it, but...possible.

DocWrestling

THAT IS THE WAY TO START THE DAY MR. BARNETT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Harris

Ghetto

Barnett pinned his kid too quickly. I demand a rematch so I can watch it
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

WFactory19

I'm a badger fan and always will be! I'm super excited to see how Barnett, Hamiti, and Hilger finish. However, will the constant underachievements from our team makes me wonder if Bono is doing the job. The guys aren't mentally ready to wrestle and seem like they lack fundamentals/development. Guys have not gotten any better after they have come here, I know Division 1 is tough but being average in the Big 10 stinks. We beat the #2 Cornell team earlier in the year and look how they got better but we haven't. Barry Davis got fired for doing better......ridiculous. Maybe we should be asking who can take the program to the next level??? Ben Askren can turn the program around! He proves time and time again he can develop/create amazing college wrestlers. I'm sure he knows how to recruit too  ;) 

Ghetto

Quote from: WFactory19 on March 17, 2023, 05:21:58 PMI'm a badger fan and always will be! I'm super excited to see how Barnett, Hamiti, and Hilger finish. However, will the constant underachievements from our team makes me wonder if Bono is doing the job. The guys aren't mentally ready to wrestle and seem like they lack fundamentals/development. Guys have not gotten any better after they have come here, I know Division 1 is tough but being average in the Big 10 stinks. We beat the #2 Cornell team earlier in the year and look how they got better but we haven't. Barry Davis got fired for doing better......ridiculous. Maybe we should be asking who can take the program to the next level??? Ben Askren can turn the program around! He proves time and time again he can develop/create amazing college wrestlers. I'm sure he knows how to recruit too  ;) 

You must be new here. Welcome to the forum.

wrestling for fun

Quote from: WFactory19 on March 17, 2023, 05:21:58 PMI'm a badger fan and always will be! I'm super excited to see how Barnett, Hamiti, and Hilger finish. However, will the constant underachievements from our team makes me wonder if Bono is doing the job. The guys aren't mentally ready to wrestle and seem like they lack fundamentals/development. Guys have not gotten any better after they have come here, I know Division 1 is tough but being average in the Big 10 stinks. We beat the #2 Cornell team earlier in the year and look how they got better but we haven't. Barry Davis got fired for doing better......ridiculous. Maybe we should be asking who can take the program to the next level??? Ben Askren can turn the program around! He proves time and time again he can develop/create amazing college wrestlers. I'm sure he knows how to recruit too  ;) 
Well Hamiti was a Bono recruit, other than that, It is certainly fair to cast some shade towards them.     I do not see  that our lighter weights have progressed or improved much with the change out of the asst coach.   
I think its time to put some measurable standards in place by our staff and towards our staff.

BrokeHimOnBottom

100%! Bono got lucky at SDSU with Gross. He has had some decent talent come in and hasn't done anything with it. If anything he just inappropriate term17 the bed on the big stage. The Ben Askren claim is so valid. Imagine if the AWA guys came to Wisconsin! We would be in the hunt for a team title right now. Get rid of Bono's sorry inappropriate term2 and bring in Funky to flip the Mirasolas and all the future Mizzou recruits build these guys up to compete on the big stage.

WFactory19

Quote from: Ghetto on March 17, 2023, 07:47:01 PM

I'm not new to the forum, just speaking the truth no one wants to hear. The fact of the matter if your satisfied with average performances and I'm not. I want to trophy as a team, maybe look towards to building a program not ruining one

wrestlemania

"Ben Askren can turn the program around! He proves time and time again he can develop/create amazing college wrestlers. I'm sure he knows how to recruit to"

Is that you Max?

Love how the brood of vipers had suddenly emerged from their den in the middle of March. It seems like they do so every year.

Ghetto

Quote from: WFactory19 on March 17, 2023, 11:11:06 PM
Quote from: Ghetto on March 17, 2023, 07:47:01 PM

I'm not new to the forum, just speaking the truth no one wants to hear. The fact of the matter if your satisfied with average performances and I'm not. I want to trophy as a team, maybe look towards to building a program not ruining one

Then you don't read much. This argument has gone on for a while.

Ben Askren is a walking, talking, breathing NCAA compliance issue, owning most of the wrestling clubs in the state, unless the NCAA bylaws have changed recently.

It's a shame that the two gigantic egos involved can't get along, because I do believe that Ben would be great for the RTC. He changed wrestling with his style almost 20 years ago. Can he continue to evolve and change? Because that style of wrestling is no longer innovative. Everyone is putting those pieces into their game. He'd have to change again. He's smart enough to know that.

Imagine being Chris McIntosh, firing Bono, who makes no waves, and then switching over to Ben Askren, who never met a microphone he didn't want to speak into. He'd have to change that too, to be a successful head coach.

We want nice things, but we don't want to look in the mirror and say that we are part of the problem. Programs like Iowa and Penn State are sitting on piles of money. Wisconsin is sitting on the pile of change your grandma gives you as a Christmas present as a kid. Until that changes, we will have limited success at UW.

DocWrestling

Money was a problem and now it is a HUGE problem when it comes to NIL money.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Wrestling Thug

Wrestling monopolies are slowly diminishing the sport! It's the Walmart effect, which is to come into town and decimate all surrounding businesses and be the one stop shop! The top 5 schools get the best and everyone else gets what's left! Penn State is so good that they really don't have to fight for recruits! And that proves they are becoming a monopoly. In time how many programs are going to be around as they lose fans and facility support! I read a lot of the comments over the years about UW staying stagnant. More has to be done with instilling kids with the thoughts of being successful anywhere they go! And collectively as a group constantly be in the ears of elite kids telling them Wisconsin can be a place they can win. Be like Andrew Allirez and win where you are at! Also stop feeding Ben Askren's ego could help!