D1 NCAA brackets

Started by leg turk, March 08, 2023, 07:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Army Ant

Quote from: leg turk on March 08, 2023, 07:36:30 PMGomez with the 15 seed. Gets the number 2 seed Sasso if he wins first round.

Below is the URL that can be used to log people directly into this event to view results.

https://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/predefinedtournaments/VerifyPassword.jsp?tournamentId=683912132

Probably fair. Extremely low chance he'll be close to 100%.

bigoil

I'm not betting against him!

vsmf2010

Quote from: BadgerOne on March 08, 2023, 08:44:11 PM
Quote from: vsmf2010 on March 08, 2023, 08:29:59 PM
Quote from: BadgerOne on March 08, 2023, 08:15:13 PMBarnett, Model and Braxton got brutal paths.
100% on Barnett and Model. Call me crazy but I kind of thought that Braxton's path was not the worst considering he was going to be a double digit seed. I know Bonaccorsi is the 1 seed, undefeated and was a finalist but every time I watch him he seems beatable. If he could get by Pentz, somehow pull that upset off and Allred beats Dean again I would like to see Braxton against Allred again. In the dual he got the first takedown, was controlling the match and seemed like he was in good shape until he got dinged. I went back and rewatched the match real quick to see if I remembered correctly. He injured his groin or a flexor (right leg) going out of bounds with 15 seconds left in the first and was never the same after that.

I'm assuming he'd have to beat the top seed and Max Dean.  I think Dean would beat Allred if they meet up again.  I think the top seed, Max Dean and Allred in one quarter of the bracket is a bracket that I would rather not be in.

No argument here and like I said call me crazy. Dean has not been a good match up for Braxton because of his top game but I do like what I saw from Braxton against Allred. Your point about the #1 seed, the Big Ten champ and defending champ in the same quarter is a good one. Cannot imagine that Bonaccorsi and the Pitt coaching staff are in love with that draw. I think 197 will be a wild ride. Caffey the 19 vs Warner the 14 in the first round! Bastida is the 13. Cardenas who just beat Beard is the 10. I have no clue who the 8 AA's will be in this bracket.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: BadgerOne on March 08, 2023, 08:15:13 PMBarnett, Model and Braxton got brutal paths.
100% on Barnett and Model. Call me crazy but I kind of thought that Braxton's path was not the worst considering he was going to be a double digit seed. I know Bonaccorsi is the 1 seed, undefeated and was a finalist but every time I watch him he seems beatable. If he could get by Pentz, somehow pull that upset off and Allred beats Dean again I would like to see Braxton against Allred again. In the dual he got the first takedown, was controlling the match and seemed like he was in good shape until he got dinged. I went back and rewatched the match real quick to see if I remembered correctly. He injured his groin or a flexor (right leg) going out of bounds with 15 seconds left in the first and was never the same after that.

I agree, it was obvious something happened to Amos there.
That whole weight is up for grabs. I think giving Dean the #9 seed is...kinda silly. How far down is prior success at the D1s? Doesn't seem like they place much on it. 2X Finalist, defending Champ and B1G runner up in a weight class like this?

I mean, I can understand the logic. Laird and Beard beat him, then lost to Allred in the B1Gs, but still, the 9 seed for Dean seems low.

As for Gomez, his seed was fine. He has a chance to take over the #2 seed if he can beat Sasso. He's set up fine. Tougher than expected quarters match, but he's on the opposite side as Yianni and he's got two weeks to get better and hopefully look better than he did this past weekend?

Vir Fortis

Quote from: ocwrestler on March 08, 2023, 08:42:43 PMAaron Brooks with the 3 seed? That's ridiculous.

LOL...wow. I wrote my last post a couple hours ago and then realized I hadn't posted it, but Max Dean as the 9 seed looks great compared to Brooks as the 3.

How on Earth do they figure THAT makes sense? These seedings put WAY too much emphasis on your latest loss and when it was. Brooks is 71-4, going for his 3 title in 3 tournaments. A fluke loss to Coleman is NOT a good enough reason to seed him behind Hidlay and Parker...as impressive as they are.

Gives him a slightly tougher road, but he should still make it through.

npope

Quote from: bigoil on March 08, 2023, 09:26:56 PMMost guys will end up in the consis so sees almost doesn't matter, a bit of luck to see who gets upset and falls to your side of the consi bracket.

Unless a weight has possibly two or three super studs, this assessment is spot on - at some point virtually all wrestlers drop into the consolation bracket and have to make their way to placement there - it's just a question as to how early you drop into consolations. While its true that the longer you stay in the championship bracket the better the chances of becoming AA become, only the four semi-finalists are guaranteed of AA'ing, two by virtue of making the finals and the other two by their specific positioning into the consolation brackets. Of the Badgers, only (a healthy) Gomez is possibly described by that scenario...and he's not healthy now. So, the success of the Badgers is defined by their ability to navigate the consolation bracket - not the championship side of the tournament. The bigger issue for the Badger wrestlers is who they will bump into on the consolation side, and that's a bit tough to project prior to the start of the tournament. And yes, as Vir Fortis pointed out above, Gomez "only" has to beat Sasso and then suddenly he, would assume the second seed's path to the finals. That's not such a bad deal for (a healthy) Gomez. For an unhealthy Gomez, the whole bracket is a mine field.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

CLC FAN

Quote from: npope on March 09, 2023, 05:15:42 AMonly the four semi-finalists are guaranteed of AA'ing, two by virtue of making the finals and the other two by their specific positioning into the consolation brackets. Of the Badgers, only (a healthy) Gomez is possibly described by that scenario

Ummmmm...

DJ?

npope

Quote from: CLC FAN on March 09, 2023, 06:27:27 AM
Quote from: npope on March 09, 2023, 05:15:42 AMonly the four semi-finalists are guaranteed of AA'ing, two by virtue of making the finals and the other two by their specific positioning into the consolation brackets. Of the Badgers, only (a healthy) Gomez is possibly described by that scenario

Ummmmm...

DJ?
Quote from: CLC FAN on March 09, 2023, 06:27:27 AMAgreed - I missed DJ in that assessment, although that weight is particularly loaded with comparable talent.

Ummmmm...

DJ?
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Panthercoach

Quote from: Vir Fortis on March 09, 2023, 12:17:46 AM

I agree, it was obvious something happened to Amos there.
That whole weight is up for grabs. I think giving Dean the #9 seed is...kinda silly. How far down is prior success at the D1s? Doesn't seem like they place much on it. 2X Finalist, defending Champ and B1G runner up in a weight class like this?

Prior success isn't factored in at all for the seeding formula. The only time it could be factored in is if the seed scores are close enough to go to a vote.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Quote from: bigoil on March 08, 2023, 09:50:57 PMI'm not betting against him!

Scared money don't make money!
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

bigoil

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on March 09, 2023, 11:12:21 AM
Quote from: bigoil on March 08, 2023, 09:50:57 PMI'm not betting against him!

Scared money don't make money!

You bet!!might need to drive to Iowa and place a wager!

wrestle_4ever

To be the best ya gotta beat em all anyway. Seeds are just a number and none of it matters come March 16. I believe the Badgers are poised for a breakout with 3 semifinal appearances.

DJ
Gomez
Amos
It ain't the six minutes...it's what happens in that six minutes

vsmf2010

Quote from: wrestle_4ever on March 09, 2023, 02:09:28 PMTo be the best ya gotta beat em all anyway. Seeds are just a number and none of it matters come March 16. I believe the Badgers are poised for a breakout with 3 semifinal appearances.

DJ
Gomez
Amos

That is what I am talking about! I love the optimism! Welcome to the forum!

No One Cares

Lamont moved up to the 27 seed and has Sam Latona R1 due to Connor McGonagle dropping out.

Austin Gomez moved up to the 14 seed and wrestles Mitch Moore from Oklahoma due to Jonathan Milner from App State dropping out. Now would have Parco from ASU R2 (3 seed) instead of Sasso match (which would happen now in semis now should he get that far).

TomM

NOC, I was aware of those changes, but have you found a pdf 'updated of that online yet?
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"