NCAA predictions

Started by wrestle_4ever, March 14, 2023, 11:15:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrestle_4ever

Here we go gentlemen! T-minus 2 days out. I'm dropping some of my thoughts/predictions for the tourney below. Let me know what you all think!

1. Does Penn State fail to place anyone atop the podium? I think so. Here's how it happens:

Fix dispatches RBY
Starocci taken out by Mekhi (unless Foca takes care of him first)
Brooks and Kerkvliet fail to even make the finals
Dean beat early by Allred, likely to not reach AA status
Haines - maybe the most overseeded wrestler of the tournament IMO. I see him losing to Andonian. If he happens to make the finals, AOC will be waiting to make quick work of him.

2. Princeton has 2 NCAA champions in Glory and Monday

3. The Badgers have 5 or even 6 All-Americans - Barnett, Gomez, Hamiti, Amos, Hillger. And I think Zargo can make things really interesting.
I think its possible we see three of them on Saturday night. Jump Around baby!
It ain't the six minutes...it's what happens in that six minutes

vsmf2010

jdwrestle

Are you talking about Penn or Penn State?
The harder you work, the harder it is to lose.

LeftyHeadlock27

I think the path for Penn State to lose all in finals, but based on track record I would say there's higher likelihood of them getting five than getting zero

DocWrestling

I guess I am predicting two AA's.  Hamiti is expected.  I think Barnett or Hillger will be an AA but one of them will stumble.  Playing the odds that one of them will.  Hoping both but have to make a prediction.

I just don't believe Gomez will be able to get through that gauntlet as he is not healed and I would highly guess he will need surgery as soon as tournament is over

Amos would be a huge surprise if he could finally win the close ones against top opponents.  Don't think he has the offense to do it and stalling calls come fast at nationals
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

bigoil

I want some of what you are drinking or eating :)... Lee isn't losing unless he's injured, heck Glory I could see missing weight.

Badgers will be battling, hoping for 6, would love the top 4 guys, two in the semi's, to all AA with Zargo and Amos getting to the bloodround.

CLC FAN

My prediction:  unless something very unfortunate happens in the first round, the second round of the tournament will either make me dance or break my heart.

I'm really hoping to be dancing.

Ghetto

Quote from: bigoil on March 14, 2023, 02:43:51 PMI want some of what you are drinking or eating :)... Lee isn't losing unless he's injured, heck Glory I could see missing weight.

Badgers will be battling, hoping for 6, would love the top 4 guys, two in the semi's, to all AA with Zargo and Amos getting to the bloodround.

Glory is huge. If he gets upset on the front side, I think he'll miss weight and be done.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

The Badger have 5 returning All-Americans

All 8 qualifiers have been to the NCAAs

The Badgers are an NCAA tournament team

They need to

Take each match one at a time, wrestle smart and follow their individual plan.

Be focused and calm, cool and collected. Wrestle with confidence. They know they can do it.

Use the negative opinions and naysayers to their advantage. Use it as "Wrestling Fuel".

Prove the doubters wrong!

LET'S DO IT BADGERS!

Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

Vir Fortis

Quote from: bigoil on March 14, 2023, 02:43:51 PMI want some of what you are drinking or eating :)... Lee isn't losing unless he's injured, heck Glory I could see missing weight.

Nobody could see Lee losing to DeSanto either. DeSanto kept it close, didn't go under him and then in the 3rd period when Lee was gassed(and he's still got issues with his gas tank right now) he was able to wear him down and break him.

Not saying it'll happen, but Glory is a HUGE '25. If he gets to the finals, he needs to steal a page from the Nelson Brands handbook the first 5 minutes and hope he can wear him down.

And he should be about 150 Sat night...again, assuming the cutting doesn't cost him in the quarters or Semis.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: Ghetto on March 14, 2023, 02:58:27 PM

Glory is huge. If he gets upset on the front side, I think he'll miss weight and be done.

Yeah, he's already been in the finals. I think it's NC or bust for him. His odds to win in the finals are being dismissed a bit too easily. There are always massive upsets in the NCAAs. Glory is a massive 125. We'll see.

As for the rest, I can't see Monday winning that weight. No chance PSU doesn't have a NC. I think they have a minimum of 3 champs. RBY COULD get beat by Fix or Vito(Vito has beaten both). I could see any of them getting beat, Brooks and then Star being the least likely.

I like the Badgers prediction. I think it's...optimistic(Zargo winning 5 in a row OR beating Alirez is very optimistic).

dman

Quote from: Vir Fortis on March 15, 2023, 06:02:21 AM

Nobody could see Lee losing to DeSanto either. DeSanto kept it close, didn't go under him and then in the 3rd period when Lee was gassed(and he's still got issues with his gas tank right now) he was able to wear him down and break him.

Not saying it'll happen, but Glory is a HUGE '25. If he gets to the finals, he needs to steal a page from the Nelson Brands handbook the first 5 minutes and hope he can wear him down.

And he should be about 150 Sat night...again, assuming the cutting doesn't cost him in the quarters or Semis.

When did that happen again?

bigoil

Quote from: dman on March 15, 2023, 08:31:50 AM

When did that happen again?
HS State

littleguy301

Lee gassed against de Santo? How about torn ACL as a better excuse. De Santo beat him fair and square and Lee admits that also but let's factor in a torn ACL instead of a gas tank issue.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

No One Cares

Quote from: littleguy301 on March 15, 2023, 10:43:34 AM

Lee gassed against de Santo? How about torn ACL as a better excuse. De Santo beat him fair and square and Lee admits that also but let's factor in a torn ACL instead of a gas tank issue.

You be the judge!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1TobSYS8eo